MP3 on dvd

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John Alvarez, Jan 21, 2005.

1. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

Can a dvd player that plays MP3's read them on a dvd?

2. Tam Nguyen

Tam Nguyen Extra

I am too has the same question but could not find any answer. I would have to try make a DVD full of mp3 file (data dvd) and play on the dvd player. I thought would ask everyone in this forum if this has already been tried before proceed.

The reason behind this desire is dvd can hold 4GB of mp3 compare to 700MB on CD. Thanks in advance.

Tam N.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    all the dvd players ive ever owned that had Mp3 capability were able to read Mp3s off DVDs...

LG 7832NXC
    Regent DVD-1000 (cheap WalMart player)
    Apex AD1200

though ive heard some do not have this capability... i believe wwww.dvdrhelp.com 's DVD player list will give u info if it is able to or not

4. David*RT

David*RT Stunt Coordinator

The Pioneer 588 plays mp3 over DVD. ($130 @ Vanns.com)

Very few players I know have this ability.

5. Tam Nguyen

Tam Nguyen Extra

I have the Samsung HD841 and try the DVD +RW full of mp3. It works! I still playing around with the DVD content to see wehich (folder or just mp3 file in the root dir) is best play on this player.

6. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

Cool....So you can get 8GIG on a dual layer deal?

7. Tam Nguyen

Tam Nguyen Extra

Have not try the dual layer yet!

As far as the single layer, this is a cool thing- 4gig of mp3 is a lot of song to play. One thing though, the mp3 control of the HD841 is very limited. If I burn all mp3 to the root dir (no folder), the content can be RANDOMLY play or in order, which is great. When the mp3 arrange in multiple folders, you have to specify which folder to play and can only random play within that folder. Once all songs in the folder is played up, the player stop. you have to initiate the play again. It will not jump to and play the next folder. THis is not good.

One big drawback, the tv must be turned on to control the play list as well as control the play option (random, single..)

8. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

The Toshiba SD3900 will play even variable bitrate MP3's written to DVD-R.

I have 2 discs with about 800 songs on each with a 100% VBR.

Only drawback is that there is no shuffle play mode, so the songs always play in the same order... great for background party tunes.

You can access the menu to scroll through to find a tune, but since the menu only displays 7 or 8 songs at a time, it's a lot of scrolling.