mp3 in a receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnVB, Aug 27, 2002.

1. JohnVB

JohnVB Stunt Coordinator

I've seen that the H/K AVR 520 has mp3 decoding. I don't understand what this would be used for. What would be connected to the receiver that would feed the mp3 data stream directly to the receiver?

- bones

2. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

i remember a thread which talked about the mp3 device HK receivers use. If i remember correctly, people said that it was a useless device since you could just connect the digital out or analog out of your soundcard to the apporpriate input of ANY receiver and get the same result without the extra mp3 decoder HK sells.

3. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I believe HK was going to release a CD player that outputted the digital stream of an MP3 and it would decode it. I don't think this ever happened. It is pretty much useless.

4. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Surely a CD or DVD player that handled MP3 could output digital MP3 to the receiver as well?

5. JohnVB

JohnVB Stunt Coordinator

Craig,

Do you know of any CD or DVD players that send mp3 output to a receiver? What would be the advantage of doing this? From what I know, it would seem that it wouldn't matter if the mp3 decoding was done in the CD/DVD player or in the receiver.

- bones

6. TomMadden

TomMadden Agent

I believe that the built-in MP3 decoder can be used with HK's DAL-150 USB to digital audio bridge.

I also believe that the HK CD players can send MP3 output to the receiver. I'm not sure about any of this, though.