MP3 Hard Drive Player for Home Theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gareth, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Gareth

Gareth Stunt Coordinator

Besides the Lansonic, does anyone have any suggestions as to what a good MP3 audio source is (hard drive based) for my home theater? Ideally, I'd love for the player to have digital output, and either read of the hard drive (internal) or over ethernet off of a file server somewhere on my network.

With everyone burning their CD's to MP3 format these days, there must be something out there.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks in advance,
    Gareth

2. TomMadden

TomMadden Agent

I've got an Apple iPod connected up to mine. It doesn't do digital out, but it's got 10 gigs of storage and it's simple to use and setup. Sounds great, and you can disconnect and take it in the car with you too!

They cost is fairly resonable, considering that it's a standalone player. You'll need a Mac or a windows box and some 3rd party software to fill it, though.

3. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Since I have an Onkyo receiver, I am considering the Onkyo MB-S1 Ulra-Slim Hard-Disk Library. I cannot seem to find anyone who has though .... to get an opinion. I guess I will have to rely on Audioreview.com.

Here is the website's Marketing spill:

4. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

1) You could build yourself a barebones home theater PC with an ethernet connection to your fileserver. Unlike previous Soundblasters, the Soundblaster Audigy supposedly has adequate sounding digital outs. Or you could use the Harman Kardon DAL 150 to connect a USB port to S/P-DIF.
    2) Buy an Audiotron. It has Toslink and Ethernet ports.

5. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Since you mentioned that you wanted something that could read music off of the network, and want digital outs, you really should look at the Audiotron, by TurtleBeach. It doesn't have an internal harddrive, but it's featureset, as well as the great support that the company gives, really make it worthwhile.

6. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

7. Jean_Hendrickx

PD: I posted this in another forum, I didn't realized there was this forum open, so I'm putting it again here:

I've around 6 month owning an Onkyo MB-S1 music library, a MP3 CD player with a built in 20 GB ddd. I've read a lot of articles and comments about the not so good of this devices (including one from Sound & Vision mag).

Of course I know (and notice) the subtle difference in quality of MP3 songs with the regular CD; but I can afford such difference having 4.500+ songs just at my hand (without quitting my beloved couch).

I'm aware of the limitations (like no OSD or a better song search capabilities), but still my balance is very possitive, so I wanted to ear your opinions, I paid only US $500 bucks for this amazing device.

One the biggest advantages is the user friendliness and the ability to record from any source (Radio, TV, or any non digital source). I've recorded some songs from radio and from MTV and other channels (using a Sat DirecTV receiver).

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-D810 6x100 watts
    Front Speakers: JBL N38II 175 watts
    Center Speakers: JBL N-Center 150 watts
    Back Surround & Surrounds: Pioneer SR-100W 100 watts
    CD Player: Pioneer DV-344
    TV: Sony Wega KV-29FS17 29"
    Music Library: Onkyo MB-S1 20 GBs hdd
    VHS: Panasonic NS-FJ4521
    TV Sat: DirecTV RCA Receiver
    Cables: IXOS for Video components & Monster cable for audio

8. Brian D Scott

Brian D Scott Stunt Coordinator

Check this link:
    www.broadq.com
    If you've already got a PS2, it'll only cost you $50 for the software plus $40 for the network adapter. Even if you had to buy a PS2 it's only $199.

9. DJGriffith

DJGriffith Auditioning

Well, I have been searching and searching for a solution to this issue. I have ~40GB of 320bit encoded MP3 files sitting on the computer and would love to shovel that off to the home theater. When I posed this question to another forum, I was pointed towards the APEX/Sampo DVD Player hackers. Apparently, it is possible to retrofit these low-end DVD Players with an IDE hard drive.
    Go here for more information
    http://www.area450.com/thesampozone/...nnectindex.htm
    Apparently, it will meet all my needs:
    Capable of playing 320bit MP3s
    On-screen navigation
    Digital Out
    The only thing it doesn't have is an Ethernet port or USB. But... I will just create an external IDE drive and plug it back into the computer when I need to rip/add/adjust etc...
    Happy hunting.

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    This may seem irrelevant, but if you have a dreamcast, and lucky enough to get a Broadband Adaptor, you can turn your dreamcast into a music hub:
    http://to-11.sourceforge.net/