MP3 hard drive as hard drive backup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Hirsch, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

Anyone using an Ipod (or other MP3 hard drive, for that matter) as a mobile hard drive backup?

I'm thinking I can kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, if I get a hard drive MP3 with max. capacity, and use roughly half for music, half for file backup. (I'm assuming it's possible to use MP3 jukebox software for transferring music, and have the MP3 hard drive "show up" as an extra drive to drag and drop files I need backed up without too much formatting difficulty.)

Any comments out there from the experts?

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I have an iPod with both MacOS 9.2 and 10.2 installed, with the ability to boot into either if a CPU has a problem. I also have several software applications, various drive utilities and anti-virus software installed. It's awesome. Since it mounts as an additional hard drive every time I plug it into the Mac, I'm able to easily drag and drop files and bring them back and forth between home and the office.

3. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

I have Windows PCs, so I'm checking before making that large an investment in a hard drive MP3 to see if the Ipod or other hard drive MP3 player can do the same thing as your Mac, on a Windows system.

4. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I used to have OS 9 and X installed on my 5GB iPod. Although I now own the 20GB model, I find that other than for short transfers and trips I can't backup my data on 20GB and still have music. Hard drives are too cheap today and I've got too many 120GB drives for an iPod to handle. [​IMG] The hard drive function is a definite bonus, but not a big deal in the end.

5. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Well, specifically for the iPod, I've read that it is not recommended that you use it for booting a System.
    Can you? Sure. But since the drive loads the MP3 songs into the cache to avoid skipping, and plays it from that, the iPod is not designed for real world use as a stand alone HD.
    The act of playing an MP3 doesn't require numerous writes/rewrites to the cache while the song is playing. But booting a system from an iPod would, and that could cause problems.
    If you're just archiving your system as an "emergency backup" to the iPod, then I'm guessing it wouldn't a problem. But the flip side of that is that HDs are so cheap, just pop in a 80GB drive into your machine if possible for a fraction of the cost.
    Again, this is just what I read, so if you buy the extended warranty for your iPod, and it breaks, it'll be no biggie.