What's new

mp3 encoding ? (1 Viewer)

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm using Musicmatch to convert CDs ino mp3s to listen to on the computer. I would like to keep the mp3 quality the same as the CD since I have the computer hooked up to my reciever to use s a jukebox. I tried 192 bitrate but it didn't sound like CD quality. MM will do 224 and 320 bitrates. Wuold one of these do the trick or is ther a better program I should get? Thanks.
------------------
Mongo like HTF

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
As Rob said, choose a program that uses LAME encoding.
I prefer CDex. Simple to use and great quality rips.
Check it out: CDex
------------------
JB
My baloney has a first name it's H-O-M-E-R my baloney has a second name it's H-O-M-E-R

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Musicmatch uses the Xing encoder. The Xing encoder stinks. :)
There are tests and other data at the address Rob already mentioned, r3mix. Very good site.
------------------
/Kimmo

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the help. I now have a new problem, albeit a small one. From the suggestions here I am now using cdex. The problem is apparently my wife was going to use the musicmatch to make some compilation type CDs from the playlists I had made up. She flipped out when she saw that I had erased all of the mp3s; but I told her I'm putting them back in with a better program. Back to my problem, is there a program she can use to make comp. CDs with? Thanks again.
------------------
Mongo like HTF

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Bobby,
While CDex is open click on the button called CDDB. The program will connect with the Compact Disc DataBase (CDDB) assuming you're connected to the net of course. If the CD in your drive is in their database (most are) the Artist, Album Title, Track names & numbers will populate the screen. When you make MP3's, the program places the songs in folders with the name of the artist then in sub-folders with the name of the album. You can change the settings for the naming convention (I happen to like Artist - Song Title).
As for making compilation CD's, don't you do this with your CD burning software (Nero, EZ CD Creator, etc)? When I make a compilation CD I first use CDex to make WAV files of the songs I want. I put all of the songs in a temporary directory then pick the ones I want. I've been using EZ CD Creator but I just got Nero and will try it this weekend.
If you are talking about playlists, that's something else. If your wife wants to load up a list of her favorite songs to listen to (MP3's), I would recommend Winamp if you don't already have it. It's very easy to save and load playlists. I would assume MusicMatch also has the playlist feature but I'm not sure since I don't use it.
------------------
JB
My baloney has a first name it's H-O-M-E-R my baloney has a second name it's H-O-M-E-R

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Many newer cd-burner programs can also burn mp3 files on the fly as an audio cd, ie just drag and drop the mp3 files into the cd creation window as if they were .WAV files and then burn an audio cd. The program will convert them and burn to the CD.
Nero and Easy CD Creator in their later incarnations I think can do this.
------------------
/Kimmo

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Thanks again all. Dummy me never even thought about still using MM for compilation CDs. In my poor little mind I thought hey I have cdex and winamp, I'll never use MM again. Doh. I think I am going to try Nero also.
------------------
Mongo like HTF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks