What's new

mp3 connecting to receiver (1 Viewer)

I see all these streaming devices around which will allow me to stream my mp3 music from my computer to my receiver. They all seem to be a bit 'clunky' and not give the user a good interface into their mp3 music.

I have all my music stored on an extrenal hard drive. Are there any devices out there that connect to the receiver with good interfaces to control music, playlists, which I could plug my external hard drive into?

Is my best bet building a dedicated pc to do this for me? What are others out ther doing?

RyanHud

Stunt Coordinator
Well i use to use to hook up my computer straight to the reciever, but that was no problem for me because they were located close to each other. Ive since bought a high storage mp3 player with a digital out. It goes miniplug to coax.
I was considering going with one of those 'streaming' devices but i need somthing portable, so i killed 2 birds with one stone for about 200$.

Christian M

Agent
I just hook my up my iPod to my receiver through the line-out on the iPod's dock. Works fine. Your other option if you want to stream music is you could get the Apple Airport Express unit (if you use iTunes of course).

RyanHud

Stunt Coordinator
I use the Archos Jukebox Recorder . It's like an ipod, only bigger and heavier, and i like the fact i can replace the batteries myself and it uses laptop harddrives so i can upgrade it myself. The digital out is also a positive for hooking it up to my reciever.

MikeGee

Second Unit
I'm confused.. wouldnt it be WAY cheaper just to get a cable to connect the Digital audio out output to one of the line in inputs in your receiver with a single wire?
I think its called somthing like a Y-Adapter ... thats what i'm gonna be doing

RyanHud

Stunt Coordinator
Yes that could be cheaper, however, some peoples computers may not be located anywheres near their reciever. In my situation it made more sense for me to buy a high storage mp3 player because i walk about 2 hours a day and its nice to have most of my music library with me. When i get home i just plug the cable into my digtal out port on the mp3 player and im all set to listen on my stereo.

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
You could also checkout something like the Philip's SL300i or SL400i which will allow you to play/watch videos/and view pictures directly from your PC or Internet (if you have a network at home (wired or wireless). Pretty neat device and works really well.

Can be found here: www.streamium.com

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
I have all of my music stored on my computer in Apple Lossless format. The product that does what you are looking for is the Squeezebox 2 from slimdevices.com. It allows you to run digital or analog audio out to your receiver/preamp. You can manage playlists and all of that other jazz from the remote control. The UI is pretty good and the SQ (using digital outs) is absolutely great.

David

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Sounds a bit dodgy. Are you sure that the output from your MP3 player is, in fact, digital?

Now, some players (including the Apple Airport Express, IIRC), have a LED in their mini-jacks that allows a punter to connect an optical cable from the mini-jack to an appropriate TOSlink Input.

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
I just use an analog mini-jack Y-Cable from the fixed output on my iPod base. Then I just cue up the "On-The-Go" playlist and let it rip. Just a tip, 192's sound so much better than 128's on the iPod. It seems that the iPod brings out the defects in a poorly rip'ed mp3.

GregMcKi

Auditioning
I directly connect my 'workstation computer' to the receiver through the roof. Simple enough, the smarts come from using VNC on a laptop (peer to peer) program to control my workstation remotely: playlists; volume; song selection. I do this across a wireless network I can be out in the shed or backyard hosting a party.

Very cheap with great flexibility.

ott

I will probably end up using an airport express with iTunes as my server. I will end up building a dedicated pc to run iTunes and this will host all my music. The airport express will hook into my receiver which will be setup through use of a switch to do 'whole house audio'. I was hoping there was a better solution not to have to have a pc dedicated. But I guess it is what it is.

Christian M

Agent
I dont think I understand why you would need a dedicated machine to run iTunes... Unless there are some major proximity issues, there should be no need to use a dedicated comp to stream only music.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I probably have one of the more ideal setups for audio from my computer. I have 3 stereo minijack to female RCA cables coming from my sound card which connect to two AR pro series component video cables which then run to my receivers 5.1 inputs.

Along with this I have a mono miniplug->female RCA connected to the digital out jack which a AR pro series digital coax cable takes the signal to my receiver.

I use the digital for 24bit/96Khz sources and anytime I watch a DVD movie on my computer.

I use the analog connections for MP3's as I use this connection to change the "focus" of the music to my back surround speakers or front or all of them in a dual stereo type configuration. Any games on my computer also can only do surround sound via analog so obviously this connection is useful there too.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit

Your point? Video cables make great audio cables. Its just overkill, but they were cheaper than audio cables where I bought them

Dennis Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if this is what you are looking for. I have a linksys wireless media player that streams mp3 through my network.
Actually, I have a file server in a closet that hold all my mp3's and other media files. Then I have the linksys in my garage hooked up to an old technics receiver. It streams the mp3's through the wireless router and plays through the reciever.
My only real complaint is that the screen on the linksys is kinda small if you are standing more than 4-5 foot away. It works for me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks