MP3 cd portables...(or loosing that lard)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Strang, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Well my Wife and I joined a health club last Friday.

To assist in the "zoning out" during those workouts, tunes are a must. I'm wanting a discman type player that will also play MP3's.

The only one that will play mp3's that are down to 8 kbit/sec is a Sony. Sony discmans usually sound hidious whereas the Panasonics I've heard were pretty good. And apparently some will not even allow one to fast forward through an MP3 "song".

The only real way to find out is to buy and return them until the best choice is found.

Hopefully someone on this forum can help me out with their experiences.

thanks
    Scott

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Since you'll be working out, why don't you look at a solid-state mp3 player? No spinning discs to skip. My mother-in-law-to-be has a Nomad II that she likes, while my fiancee and I both use Apple iPods (which technically aren't solid-state, but close enough).

3. Scott Strang

Thanks for the reply Don. I work with a guy that has an IPod and it's indeed awesome. It's amazing how small HD's have gotten.

It really costs more than I want to spend and the solid state units all seem to have a limit of 128mb. I did see an RCA in person that is small enough for your wrist. Panasonic has one like that too but I haven't actually seen one in person.

I'm considering the Teac 3" cd player and it would hold up to 180 mb on a cd-3.

What is the sound quality like on most of these. I assume aftermarket headphones will be a must.

4. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

5. Scott Strang

Zen Butler sez

6. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler