Moving XP license to a different PC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Paquette, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Here's what I would like to do. I have a laptop that had Windows 2000 professional on it. I purchased an upgrade license for Windows XP professional, installed it, and have been using it for about a month. I want to put Windows 2000 back on my laptop, sell it on e-bay. Next I want to install XP professional on my desktop which is currently running Windows 2000 pro. Since my XP license has already been activated on the laptop will the Bill Gates police come and take my PC away? Do I have to call Microsoft to transfer the license, get a note from Bill, God? Has anyone here ever done this?

2. Duncan Barth

Duncan Barth Stunt Coordinator

Uninstall XP from the notebook. Install XP on your desktop. When the activation wizard blows up on you, call microsoft (the number should be on your screen), and explain the situation. They'll give you a code that will force the XP activation on the new machine.

Obviously, you'll want to make sure that you've pulled XP from the notebook at this point... otherwise neither machine will work.

I ran into a similiar problem moving Office 2000 (the academic version had an early version of product activation). The CSR at microsoft was friendly, and after hearing my problem, just generated the code, and I was on my way.

Good luck!

3. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Duncan pretty much nailed it. When you get to the activation wizard, choose the "register by phone" option, call the number, and explain your situation. They'll get you an activation code, and you'll be up and running in no time.

T

4. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Thank a lot guys. I'll give it a try tonight.