What's new

"Moving Violations" (1985) - July 12 - Cover Art and Specs (1 Viewer)

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor

DVD Release Date: 7/12/2005
Original Theatrical Release: April 19, 1985
Rated: PG-13
Length: 90 mins
Picture: Color
Ratio: 1.85:1/16x9
Audio: Dolby Surround 2.0, Dolby Surround 5.1
Genre(s): Comedy

SKU: DV12977
UPC: 013131297799
SRP: $14.98
Format: DVD5

Features: Commentary with Producer/Director Neal Israel, Theatrical Trailer

I don't care for the cover art. They should have used this....

Still, it's a very hilarious film and it will be great to have it on DVD.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Wendie Jo Sperber and Clara "Where's the Beef" Peller. How can you go wrong? :D

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator
Somethin' weird's goin' on in the graphics department of Anchor Bay. This and the upcoming AB 'Race With The Devil' DVDs have some of the ugliest cover art I've ever seen.

They should take a tour of the Warner Brothers design department - I'm loving how they've been using original poster art more and more...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
"She's not a rocket scientist."

"Actually, she is."

. . .

"Get out on the road, see how it feels."

"Like shit!"

. . .

"Why is my back wet?"

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
"Wait a minute. You're really serious? You're really going to write me a ticket?"

"I certainly am. From the look of this vehicle I'm going to write you several tickets."

"Several tickets!? Look, why don't we make this easy. Why don't you just pistolwhip me."

"Will there be any handy cooking tips like what to do with those darn holiday leftovers?"

"You know, I just don't understand it. I always loved you guys on CHiPs."

walter o

Supporting Actor
keep an eye for Don Cheale as a drive thru attendant at a burger joint!

I love what the duck says when he falls off the truck

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
While the cover art isn't the greatest, Anchor Bay makes up for it in DVD content and value for the price.

The first thing you see when you play the disc are three previews (a first for Anchor Bay?) that can be skipped with the Menu button. The nice thing is that these trailers are anamorphic, even when the first two (License to Drive and Freaked) are 4:3. The third preview is anamorphic 1.85:1 for Modern Problems. These can also be viewed from the "Extras" menu.

The insert is an example for all other studios to follow. Again, for only $15 retail, the booklet is a humorous "driving handbook." It has the 20th Century Fox logo at the top. You've got a message from Director Neal Isreal, "How to Avoid a Moving Violation" which is a funny public service from the producers which includes 11 photos from the movie and captions, and quotes from several driver's manuals (real or not, I don't know) that are quite funny: "In Case of Emergency" tells you things that make you wonder if they are trying to save your life or make you laugh, "Pedestrian Protocol" (more quotes from other manuals that are funny as well that are about what pedestians should not do - duh!), "Stating the Obvious" which are more quotes that elicit a 'duh!' response, "From the Archives" (a traffic law proposed in 1908 that couldn't be real but probably was), "From Our Foreign Friends" (compare them to America and chuckle or cringe), and the best is saved for last is "HUH?" which speaks for itself (there are some nice illustrations). There is a diagram from "Georgia Truck Turning" which is yet another 'huh?' moment. Then there's a "What is Wrong With this Drawing?" where the answer is funnier than the picture. Finally, there is "Do You Know Your Signs?" which is a semi-funny look at some street signs. Then it concludes with the movie credits and DVD chapter titles. All in a nice 14-page booklet.

The movie is anamorphic widescreen at 1.85:1 aspect ratio. The movie looks pretty good for a 20 year old movie. There is a Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 audio track with audio commentary by Neal Isreal. The 5.1 track sucks as you can't hear much in the rear channels. The standout is the Fox fanfare at the start. 2.0 sounds better in this case.

The cast includes Jennifer Tilly when she was "thinner" but with the same great helium voice. Four years later she would "fill out" in Let It Ride.

This should be called Moving Violations: 20th Anniversary Edition Without Substantial Extras but the booklet almost makes up for the lack of extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks