What's new

moving up from NAD 7600 2 Stereo receiver to ? A/V receiver (1 Viewer)

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all... after a decade of listening to LD's and three years of listening to DVDs on my trusty 2 channel NAD 7600 receiver I am preparing myself to move up to a DD/DTS 5.1 (preferably 6.1) A/V receiver. Ideally I will recoup much of the cost of the new A/V be E-Baying the old NAD.

I have a few questions you all the experts out there, but first here are a few of my interests / concerns:

1) I am looking to spend $500 - $1000, preferably in the middle (I guess MSRP might range from $750-$1250 depending on the brand)

2) I want great sound for both music and movies... I don't need audiophile sound, but I want something that "Joe Six Pack" would be awed by. (ie: not a home theater in a box)

3) I want good a/v s-video switching support

4) I don't need anything (nearly) as powerful as the NAD. (150 watts per channel rated for test tones, dynamic watts per channel at ~400... mt living situation allows me to "turn it up" but not "crank it" and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

5) NEED banana posts for at least the front l/r speakers, preferably for all others

My question for you all is what brands/models would best deliver on the above wishlist? I've heard pretty good things about the Yamaha's in that price range... Also, good things about Onkyos and Denons, but they appear to offer less a/v "switchability".

One other thing... I'll be keeping my Vandersteen main *(front l/r) speakers... What direction (brand) might I want to look at for the center/ sub woofer / rear speakers. Again, I'm looking for great, not audiophile quality, at a reasonable price. (I haven't really looked at prices on speakers, but off the top of my head I'd like to get center and rears for less than $500 total, maybe $250 more forthe subwoofer. (or, ideally, can I simply route the bass to my main vanderstenns and forgo the subwoofer foe the time being- or always?... again, my living situation precludes whopping bass, so I don't really need a 20" subwoofer)

Thanks so much for any and all advice!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks