Moving to TX OH NO!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Shawn C, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Well, it looks like my wife and I will be moving to TX in the next couple of months. She is getting a promotion and since I work at home, I can work anywhere.

Anyways, I figure that SOMEONE here has to be from the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, more specifically the Arlington area. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what to look for in housing, what to avoid...etc.

I think were are looking to stay pretty much in the Arlington / Mansfield area, but we really don't know ANYTHING about the area.

Any tips?

2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

No tips but I would like to express my sincerest sympathies.

3. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Watch it Patrick. [​IMG]

4. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

Patrick, I think there are a lot of us that would like to go out there and show your surffing ....ohh never mind, I don't like going out of the country. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Shawn, my cousin lives up in Dallas. I will try to get with her to see about what areas of Arlington are good. If I remember right, that is a nice little town. You'll have to go out for some real BBQ once you get here. [​IMG]

5. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

Shawn,

My home is in downtown Dallas. [I am currently working in Kuwait].

You would probably get more responses if you changed the title to "Moving to Dallas-Fort Worth OH NO!" Texas is way too big of a state.

I see that you are from Las Vegas. I can't infer too much from that. Where are you originally from?

If you are a liberal, non-religous person, it might not be your cup of tea.

As you probably know, Arlington is in between Dallas and Fort Worth. The Baseball Stadium and the Six Flags Amusement park are in Arlington. The Lone Star Horse Racing Track is eith in or near Arlington, I believe.

Other than that, I can't really help you. I don't make it over to that area too often.

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

As someone who has lived in California and Texas, as well as other places, all I can say is while there are definitely worse places to live than Texas, and worse places in Texas than Dallas, but compared to California, you have my condolences.

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Well, what do you want to know? Apartments are plentiful, and competition is steep, so there's lots of good deals out there.

8. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I guess what advice I am looking for is where the desirable neighborhoods in that area. We would be looking to purchase a home. I know it's a broad question, but we just want to get a general idea of the housing market before we start spending alot of time spinning our wheels. We like to look for houses on our own before involving a realtor.

9. adrian b

adrian b Stunt Coordinator

in Arlington, look on the far south side or Mansfield for good housing areas. Far north isn't too bad but mostly completely developed. To get a little more centralized in the DFW area look into Coppell (NE of Arlington). It's a little more pricey but has better location imo. Pricing for new homes is all over the board in any location but I would say the average is approx $160k.

10. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Hey Shawn... I just moved to Fort Worth in August for Grad school, and I sort of came here kicking and screaming. I moved here from South of Kansas City. Texas has grown on me some, and the city is nice. Texans are however very proud of their state and are not afraid to show it...not that that's a bad thing I guess. Everything around here is big though, and I sorta miss trees of the Midwest. To me the trees here seem like overgrown shrubs. Overall I'm happy with the move for now.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

[​IMG] @ the texas bashing

12. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

Nothing wrong with texas, even though I live in Ohio
    you will be near an NFL team, aN MLB team, housing is reasonable there, the people are friendly, and the best thing is that you will be near the main headquarters of the confederate Air force[​IMG]

But think it is a state law that you have to own a Pickup truck[​IMG]

13. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Please, whatever you do Shawn, don't start rooting for the Cowboys.

Actually, my sister lived unsuccessfully in Ft. Worth for a year or so until she packed up and left for Michigan. It could be a culture shock coming from dry heat, independent Las Vegas, but you can make it. Also, I may be wrong, but isn't Ft. Worth or Arlington a dry city? I mean, no liquor, just beer? That will be quite a change from Sin City. [​IMG] Good luck and congratulations to your wife. Go Mavericks! and a big belt buckle.

14. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

Jed, as far as I know that county isn't dry. I remember going to a club up there, and they had more then just beer.

15. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

and a bumper sticker that reads "help clean up Texas: put a yankee on a bus"

16. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I too came from the KC area. Now I live in Wylie which is in the NE part of the Dallas area. The lack of hills and trees is disturbing. However I didn't find the culture to be that different. It may vary by the part of the city you live in, and Fort Worth is probably far worse, but many of the people I've worked with are not native Texans, so the Texas attitude hasn't been a problem for me.

Good portions of DFW are a weird kind of dry from my experience, many restaurants serve everything, buying it yourself is problematic though. When you come from a place like KC, where you can by liquor just about anywhere, it's a pain in the ass. I have to go to Plano for beer or wine, but for good stuff I have to go even farther.

I go to Arlington on occasion to visit a particular computer junk store that is really cool. Much of what I've seen in Arlington is IMHO old and rundown, however I haven't been through all of it. It is centrally located, so it should give you lots of options for finding work. Unless I want an hour commute like some of my neighbors I'm stuck working in one small part of Dallas because of where I live.

I haven't been to Vegas so I can't draw any comparisons. I can tell you there's a fair amount of humidity, but nothing compared to KC. The winters are fair, you can expect one or two snow or ice storms a year which cause havoc on the roads for a day or two. The thunderstorms are nasty, especially in the spring when I've seen some pretty nasty hail storms.

Oh, and the barbecue sucks down here. The steak is great though.

17. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Thanks for the tips everyone. From what I have seen, Mansfield has the right kind of houses that we are looking for.

As for being "dry", we really don't drink anyways. Since her office in Arlington, we would probably stay close to there. Isn't that area so big that it's practically one huge city?

How is the traffic coming into Arlington from the west? I've seen some nice lake/river properties a little west of Arlington.

18. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Arlington is pretty big, it's got most everything you'd need in it. Plus it's got its own Fry's. What more could you ask for?

19. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

Shawn, you should PM me. I can give you all the information you want about Arlington/Fort Worth. I live in Arlington, and have been here since 1975.
    I can also find you a brand new home that fits your budget and lifestyle. (No I am not a realtor.....!!!!! [​IMG] )

I have lots of information to give you Shawn, PM mail me and I'll give you the details......[​IMG]

20. Billy Nolen

Billy Nolen Auditioning

We moved to Arlington from Virginia 15 years ago. We've lived in the southwest Arlington area for the last 12 years and we've enjoyed living here very much. Since you state that your wife will be working in Arlington traffic shouldn't be too bad.

I like the schools in the SW arlington area most of them are al least "exemplary" or better according to state statistics. Texans tend to be very friendly and outgoing, and as others have stated there's shopping galore throughout the area.

Housing costs in Arlington and Mansfield is a bit more affordable than say Coppell, Plano and other parts of the Metroplex(as it's called). Summers can be pretty brutal, but coming from Las Vegas, your're probably used to the heat.
    I think overall, you will find it a pleasant place to live and work.