Moving to new house with dedicated HT, need help with recommendations for upgrades

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Smith Underwood, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Smith Underwood

Smith Underwood Auditioning

Dec 1, 2003

New to the forum and would like some advice. I am moving to a new House with a dedicated HT(media room). I want to upgrade my existing equipment without breaking the bank. The following is my existing components (I need a new receiver would like Dolby 6.1), I want to keep my existing speakers and sub woofer set up, I like them and they sound good to me, although there is undoubtely a lot better stuff on the market.

My plan is as follows:

I would like to get a front projector(dlp), I know that Sanyo and Sony make a good product for around 3000, any suggestions?(forgive me I can't remember the model numbers)

My existing components are as follows:
    4 NHT Super 0 speakers
    NHT Center channel
    NHT SA 2 sub woofer amp
    NHT SW2si sub
    Pioneer Elite VSX 49 receiver.

Is there a decent 6.1 receiver available in the $500 range(even a last years model) what would it be?

Since I am going to 6.1, do would I benefit more to buy another center channel or 2 additional surround speakers.

Any good DVD player recommendations, am actually thinking about going to a DVD recorder, but don't know the difference between a $300 and $800 recorder, any advice would be great.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jun 3, 1999
    Hi there, Smith. You're asking for specific recommendations in an area devoted to queries about home-theater basics and definitions. Since DVD player recommendations (in addition to receivers, projectors), I'm moving your post to A/V Sources first. Best of luck on assembling a system. JB