1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to bigger room, TV too small!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronD, Apr 3, 2002.

1. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

I've currently got a 27" VVega, but I'm moving to a new place with a much bigger room. I'll be about 15-17' away from the TV now, as compared to the 8' I am now. My question is whats available out there for 1000 - 2000? I'd prefer 16x9 or a nice squeeze mode, hd, etc. The bigger the better, I've looked at the 32" and 36" VVega's before but there has got to be something else out there a little bigger for a better price.
    Thanks!
    -Aaron

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Panasonic,Toshiba and Mitsubishi all have HD ready 16.9 sets from 42 to 47 inch ranging from 1500 to 2000...

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

If yopu want bigger for that price range then you have to stop looking at the tubes. RPT is the only way to go bigger than 36 at a reasonable price. However might i suggest the toshiba cinema series 34" 16:9 tv, its priced about the same as the 32" VVega. however i feel i should point out that the numbers on 16:9 TV's are very deceptive, I did a little number crunching a while back and here is a quick run down of the results. when watch in 4:3 a 36" TV has about 41% more viewing area, and in all widescreen modes 1:1.85 1:1.78 and 1:2.35 the 16:9 tv has between 4-6% more viewing area. which basically means unless you are only watching movies with the tv then you likely would get more bang for your buck with a 36" 4:3 tv. As well I dont believe any of the 16:9 tv's available have enhanced widescreen, it may sound like a stupid thing to have on a widescreen tv, but you have to keep in mind that on a 16:9 tv you will still get horizontal bars when watching anything other than 4:3 (where you get vertical bars) or DTV/HDTV which use the 1:1.78 screen ratio. the bars will just be smaller than on the 4:3 tv.

cheers

John

P.S hope this wasent too boring and helped a bit.