Moving to bigger room, TV too small!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronD, Apr 3, 2002.

1. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

I've currently got a 27" VVega, but I'm moving to a new place with a much bigger room. I'll be about 15-17' away from the TV now, as compared to the 8' I am now. My question is whats available out there for 1000 - 2000? I'd prefer 16x9 or a nice squeeze mode, hd, etc. The bigger the better, I've looked at the 32" and 36" VVega's before but there has got to be something else out there a little bigger for a better price.
    Thanks!
    -Aaron

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Panasonic,Toshiba and Mitsubishi all have HD ready 16.9 sets from 42 to 47 inch ranging from 1500 to 2000...

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

If yopu want bigger for that price range then you have to stop looking at the tubes. RPT is the only way to go bigger than 36 at a reasonable price. However might i suggest the toshiba cinema series 34" 16:9 tv, its priced about the same as the 32" VVega. however i feel i should point out that the numbers on 16:9 TV's are very deceptive, I did a little number crunching a while back and here is a quick run down of the results. when watch in 4:3 a 36" TV has about 41% more viewing area, and in all widescreen modes 1:1.85 1:1.78 and 1:2.35 the 16:9 tv has between 4-6% more viewing area. which basically means unless you are only watching movies with the tv then you likely would get more bang for your buck with a 36" 4:3 tv. As well I dont believe any of the 16:9 tv's available have enhanced widescreen, it may sound like a stupid thing to have on a widescreen tv, but you have to keep in mind that on a 16:9 tv you will still get horizontal bars when watching anything other than 4:3 (where you get vertical bars) or DTV/HDTV which use the 1:1.78 screen ratio. the bars will just be smaller than on the 4:3 tv.

cheers

John

P.S hope this wasent too boring and helped a bit.