Moving soon-any tips on hiring a moving company?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobR, Mar 19, 2002.

1. RobR

RobR Second Unit

My wife and I bought a house and will be moving soon (a distance of approx. 6 miles from our apartment). Does anyone here have tips on hiring a full-service moving company? What to look for and what or who to avoid? We'd like to get full insurance against damage if possible. Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions you might have.

2. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

For a local move? Find a local realtor who you or your friends like/trust/have used, and ask who they'd reccomend.

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I'd also contact your employer. Many times they can give you discounted rates even for in-town moves.

4. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Rob,

Were not too far from each other. I've used SNOW moving company a few times. They've never damaged any of my belongings both times they moved me. They're insured, and the people are friendly, and always on time. Good luck and congratulations on your new home!

5. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

I have used and am using Bekins (Pacific Storage Company) for my moving needs. The first time they moved our big stuff out and stored it for several months...and next month they are moving us in one fell swoop; all in one day, the entire house.

They have also moved my mother-in-law to her new house with storage. So far everything has been really great.

they charge based on weight...I have been told they charge $80/hour which is 2 man crew and each man is rated to carry 350 #/hr. Then there is a mileage charge which wont concern you. They have two kinds of insurance and for reasons I cant recall, it doesnt really pay to get the more expensive replacement insurance...I think now, because I was told it only applies if they completely destroy something but that rarely happens. Most of the time, if something is damaged (which I am told is not that common...your results may vary), it is only partially damaged and the full replacement insurance doesn't make sense.

Also, plan on moving any delicates yourself and also my advice is to move your electronics yourself. They wont insure electronic devices because an electronic device can fail even if you picked it up and moved it across a room, so I am moving all of my HT equipment myself except for my 50" tv and that is only because I have neither the time nor the musclepower nor the will to move it myself (I moved it in, and I am willing to take the small risk of it being damaged).

Also if you have homeowner's insurance, check with them on how you are covered.

I think Bekins offices may be individually run and operated, I am not sure, but I wouldnt be surprised if you found out you disliked your local office. Its like Car dealerships....the Acura or whatever dealership in my town may be good but yours is terrible....but I am not sure about quality across the company. I trust Bekins. Don't hire Starving Students to move you.

Lastly, its to your benefit to box and pack as much as you can so you are not paying $80/hour for two guys to carry little items from your house/apt to the truck.

Also, Saturdays were no more expensive than any other day of the week...its getting it scheduled which is the challenge since everyone wants to move on Sat. I thought that was weird/I expected Sat was more...but I am moving on Thursday so....

hope this helps.

6. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan Stunt Coordinator

Pack up and move your HT equipment yourself in your own car.

Seriously !

Thos.

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    If you can do it yourself, many of the box truck rental companies have specials to move stuff locally, you can rent a 10/15/24 foot truck. Even some of the larger trucks have hydraulic lift gates.

It is cheaper to rent from Mon-Thursday and some of them even will assist you in loading stuff for an extra fee.

Or if you really want to do it yourself and the weather is OK, most Home Depots or Lowes will rent you an opentop flatbet cheaply, just pack things real well.

Jay

8. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

If you do end up hiring some movers, try to be there as much as possible when they pack your things. I know it's their job, but everybody slacks off some time!

9. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

If you dont have the time to do it yourself check with some of the local realty companies. Really check into and think about upgrading your home owners insurance or renters insurance BEFORE the move. That way all of your things will be covered. If you are really worried look at what it would cost to have a low or no deductable for those 2 insurances. 2nd as stated above be there as much as possible so that things are not miss packed or worse yet MISSING. Keep track as much as possible. Best of luck in the move,

KyleS

10. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

My father owns a small moving company.
    He's been in the moving business for over 40 years.
    He goes on all the estimates himself and gets almost all of the estimates he gets because the customers like and trust him.
    Try smaller moving companies, they often give you more personal service than large moving companies.
    Check out whomever you choose through the Better Business Bureau. I have heard horror stories about people not being able to get their furniture back or their stuff being locked away for more money.
    Make sure they are insured. Accidents happen all the time.
    I would bring the smaller, breakable and more valuables things myself in my car.
    Here's a website that will help you:
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/mover..._companies.htm
    Good Luck.

11. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

If you and your wife are so inclined, I second the suggestion to prepack, starting with glasses and dishes, after accumulating a 4-ft stack of old newspapers. Dbl-page wrap EACH piece. If you've contracted, the mover will give you the boxes, sqooshed flat for you to open and tape into shape. Use a wide blk felt-tip to mark contents on the boxes.

This is a whole lotta togetherness fer sure. But this works if you have about 2 weeks so you can do a little at a time, say at night.

12. Jeff Loughridge

Jeff Loughridge Stunt Coordinator

When you get a quote, be sure to get in writing that it is a NOT TO EXCEED price. Otherwise, you'll pay through the nose for extras you never imagined.