Moving Out Briefly

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Matthew Chmiel, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

The other day, my family and I were told that there is mold in the bathrooms of our house. The home builders told us that we would need to leave our home on Sunday (tomorrow) night so that come Monday, they can get their crews in and rip up the bathrooms to competely replace them.

Now while we have no problem with staying in a fancy hotel for 2 weeks (it's got high-speed internet and that's all I care about), I'm just worried about our personal belongings in the house. I'm putting all my DVDs and X-Box games into boxes and leaving them with my grapdparents, but everything else I'm worried about. Televisions, my X-Box, my clothes, and so on and so on I'm paranoid about. I'm worried when I'm not here, the construction workers might make the house a mess and steal some of our stuff. I sadly have a package coming UPS (with tons of DVDs) in the next few days and I'm freaking out that a construction worker might just snatch it and leave.

Has anyone here at the board ever had to leave their house briefly as construction went on? What did you do about all your items? Did you see anything taken or replaced or broken when you came back?

2. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Close all rooms that they should not be able to enter. Get some breakable seals or something that you can sign to indicate that they have been opened. Make the supervisor aware that if they need to enter any of the rooms they need to contact you.

3. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

We had to move out for 10 days to have wood floors repaired/replaced due to water damage. We stayed in the Embassy Suites and it was great. Happy hour every night and cooked to order breakfast every morning for 10 days.

Due to magnitude of the work involved all furniture was moved from downstairs, toilet, sink in powder room removed etc. Everything went fine. No problems, nothing damaged, etc.
    I miss the Embassy Suites though, what a great hotel.

4. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    What reason do you have to think these workers are thieves? My guess is the contractor is bonded, and if anything comes up missing, the boss will be more pissed than you. Most anything they'd steal from you would pale in comparison to the lost business caused by bad word of mouth. Relax. (IMHO, YMMV)

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Take extra pictures of everything just in case smething turns up "missing". then settle with your insuranc3e comapny and the police.