What's new

Moving our Cats to Little Rock? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
OK, before you say it I'll admit we're crazy, but we have 13 cats (including 2 blind cats), and they are our kids. We are moving from Jacksonville to LR and are trying to figure out a way to do it.

I had thought that renting a u-haul panel truck would be ideal, but I noticed on their web-site that they are for in-town use only, so that would seem to be out. I don't think any of their other vehicles would be air-conditioned in the storage area and would not be appropriate to use in the heat of the summer and in any case, I'd be worried about ventilation back there.

Flying in the heat of the summer (we are moving early July) doesn't seem like a good idea. There's no direct flight from here to there and we just get panicked about the idea of the cats in the cargo hold anyway.

If we drive, my wife and I want to drive as a team, not two separate vehicles. It's a heckuva drive (14+ hours) and would be rough for one driver to do.

Anyone got any ideas?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So far I've checked Budget/Penske and Enterprise with no luck. Thanks for the suggestion on Ryder. I will probably wait until we get back to Jax to make further calls.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I have little to offer here except kudos for being so devoted to your kitties. :emoji_thumbsup:

My guys flew from Calgary to Vancouver without a problem. They were a little shaken, but got over it quickly.

If it's a short flight they would probably be fine.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
No, there is not. Very seldom do we find direct flights from anywhere to Little Rock. Jax is bigger than LR but I would guess there are not that many direct flights into it either.

I think our best shot now is to find a one-way rental on a passenger van in which most of the seats fold down. I think there might be more choices that way.

I do find it odd that u-haul which specializes in moves and overs many one-way rentals, doesn't do it for their vans.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Johnny,

We did this when we moved from San Jose to Denver a few years back. Rented a Uhaul truck and had our 2 cats in carriers the whole way (actually, we went to Salinas, then LA, then to Denver. So 4 day trip.)

Some adivce is be aware that moving is an incredibly tramatic experience for cats, way more than it is for humans or dogs. If you have aged or infirm cats in the 13, maybe think about finding them new homes in your area before the move. They might not make it through the moving process.

The shorter you can make the travelling the better for the cats. For a 14 hour drive, I would try to do it in one shot, changing drivers as needed. One of those leave at 6 AM and hope to arrive there at Midnight sort of trips.

I really cannot say that this would be an easy transition, as I said moving a long distance is incredibly stresful for cats. Our two kitties lost almost 5 pounds each and had diarrhea for months after our move, we though they had a disease. Vet informed us that no, this is very common after you move cats any great distance, they just super stressed out and their bodies can freak out. OK for the young ones, but be careful with the older tabbies. This is why people will often leave cats behind when moving, it can really rip them up to start fresh again (they are excessively territorial so don't travel a lot in the wild.)

Anyway, only other thing we learned is don't let them loose in the cabin while you drive. They like to curl up under your feet for comfort, but since that's where the gas and brake pedals are it isn't a good idea. They hate being contained for long periods, but really you don't have much choice. Bring some earplugs or something to drown out the constant mewling ;)

Good luck man and godspeed on your trip.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We have moved with our cats before so we do know that it is tough for them. Yes, cats like to be in their familiar place but they also like to be with their family. So while the house will be new, we wont be. They will soon understand they are at home.

All our cats are less than 8 years, with the exception of one who is 15. We will pay special attention to her, but we will not leave her behind. We are the only family she's known her entire life and we won't leave her behind. I think to start her off with a new family at her age, would be worse than the move. And how easy would it be to find a good home for a 15 year-old cat?

We've watched our cats as they become accustomed to a new home. Some are more timid than others, but they respond to us even as they explore the new place.

We will do all we can to reduce the stress on them and they will be in carriers, its the only way to drive with cats.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston

Just that when you introduce them to the new house, I would do it gradually if you can. What I mean by that is do not just get them in the living room entrance, open all the cages and let them run wide in the new house. I would consider bringing them all back to a large bedroom or guest room...have water and litter boxes in there (even if temporary) and let them begin to explore the new house from a common point of a secure back room. Especially for the 15 year old. Cats like having a place where they feel safe. When they explore new places, especially older ones...they will do it more gradually bit by bit. The younger ones may just run and adapt quickly. But a majority of them expecially after a long trip, will probably have their bellies close to the floor for a number of days. The shock of all the cats being let go in a big room of a new house after a long trip might not be good for some.

Let them explore the new house gradually from a smaller room in a safer part of the house.

Some vets even suggest keeping them in a shut room for a day or so...then after they get accustomed to that, opening the door to the rest of the house. But with 13 cats...that would simply not work. But the point of introducing them to the house in small doses on their own time can probably be achieved in some way.

James L White

Supporting Actor
See if there's a direct flight to Memphis.Then rent a moving van. The Rock as we call it here in AR is only 2 1/r hrs west, so bringing ti back to Memphis if required wouldn't be that big of a hastle plus that would do away with the plane switching headache :)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I would just like to add that I think you should ignore anyone who suggested you leave your cats behind.

True, cats are very territorial, but the thing they are most attached to is most likely you.

As long as you are sensible and careful about it, which obviously you are being since you started this thread in the first place, your kitties will likely be fine...and will adapt to their new surroundings within a week or two.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Everyone who takes on a pet should be so devoted.

It's sad to say, but when I moved from Calgary to Vancouver, many people asked me "what are you going to do with your cats?" Thinking it was rather obvious I responded "I'm taking them with me." And the typical reply to that was "Isn't that an awful lot of trouble?"

It was one of the few times I've been sorry I'm a pacifist, as the urge to slap them was rather strong.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Rain, I have to agree with every thing you wrote. It is right on the money.

When we lived in LR, I volunteered with a rescue organization. If a had a buck for every call we got from people who were moving and wanted to dump their pet on us, I'd be a rich man.

The callers would often be calling the day before they were moving. If we couldn't take the cat, it would either be taken to the shelter or abandoned. Many of the cats we rescued were brought to us by neighbors of people who move and simply left the cat behind without making any arrangements for it.

The callousness of the human race is monumental.

On to my original question. Starting Monday I'm getting really serious about finding some sort of van to rent one-way. If it can't be a cargo van, maybe a passenger van with seats that fold down flat to increase the storage room. Any one have ideas for passenger van's that are good at this? Any futher suggestions for which companies might rent one-way, let me know.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If you think moving cats is a lot of trouble, try 12 tanks full of fish and a 7 hour drive. :)

Been there, done that. If you are going to own pets, they are your responsibility as far as I'm concerned, and whatever "trouble" they cause is yours to deal with.

Good luck on the move!

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

The Chrysler Town & Country has Stow & Go seats that fold down into the top of the floor, giving you a completely flat bed.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Am I misreading this? Are you saying I don't have the right to ask for advice? Yes, they are our responsibility and I'm not laying that on anyone here. My wife and I have been taking responsibility for our cats for a long time.

Perhaps I've misread this, but your comment seems to be totally off-the-wall.

David, thanks for the tip on the Chrysler Town & Country.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks