1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Moving my PB2+.......

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DonnyD, Jan 17, 2005.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

After most of the summer & fall, we have began to enjoy our HT system again and of course, once again, I want to calibrate, calibrate, calibrate to get the most out of everything. I've noticed that upon calibration, I find my sub, a PB2+, really doesn't give us much ooomph until it is around 15db hot over and above everything else. We typically listen to our system in the -32 to -35 range on the RX-V1 which is plenty loud and I still find myself messing around with the sub to get more low end emphasis...... and I feel I should be getting more than I am.
    My previous sub was a 20-39PC that was updated to the "i" driver and digital amp and it was a very solid performer. A real room shaker and you could feel it in your chest. The pb2+ is sitting in the same location, corner loaded, but I feel we are missing something as, from all reports, this should be a monster that "tears through the house and takes our breath".... and it does when I have it calibrated 15-20 db hot.........
    This week, I am gonna begin to move it around the room and get it away from its current location. My alternative location is about 8 feet from the corner, to the side of the entertainment center. Before I start moving this behemoth, what do some of yall think?

2. Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf Stunt Coordinator

Seems to me you should not have to go that hot on your sub to get the rumble you're looking for. Something else is going on I think. I would first make sure that all of your settings in your receiver (bass managment) are correct as well as the settings on the subwoofer itself (does that model have a subsonic filter, are you plugging any ports). If you do a search in the forums you'll find plenty of threads such as yours, "my subwoofer is not working right" which is usually followed by a list of settings to check. Usually I would say move the sub around to see if that improves things but you seem to have a spot in your room that has worked before. Not sure if different types of subwoofers can interact with your room in various ways, but I suppose that's possible.

3. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

I'm not sure why, but I'm seeing more instances of DVD players being set to PCM rather than Dolby Digital. If your DVD player is set to PCM, then 15-20 DB hot is about what I'd expect to see. Check the settings on your DVD player's menu.

-Robb

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Thanks for the replies.....

Yes, I went through the various settings on the receiver and player...... all set properly to bitstream on the player and the receiver is still as it was with the 20-39 sub. I currently have 2 ports plugged on the PB which was more dramatic than 1 port or no port plugging. The only difference I've noted is that the cylinder port was up (of course) whereas the PB2+ is firing backwards toward the wall about 6 inches away. With a door location and the entertainment position centered per the rest of the room, I am limited with the sub placement in THAT corner. This week I am going to be moving the sub to the other side of the entertainment center and take some more readings......

I will add, the PB2+ is very dramatic in its effect and perhaps my expectations are above what I should be getting. That 20-39 beat the crap outta us!!! We may be just some of those bassheads like "Frank" and want "massive" or I am trying to justify (in my own mind) the need for another PB2+........LOL

I have noticed that when I go to another room, the sub sound pressure is more intense than it is at my primary seating location which, to me, indicates a placement issue. As with most HT nuts, I love experimenting if only to confirm I am getting the MOST out of EVERYTHING........

5. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Though you'll probably figure it out yourself, your current placement for the PB2+ just must not be working. But it is suprising you somehow lost output, especially in a corner. I had a 20-39PC+ for a couple weeks before I upgraded to a PB2+. You should definately notice an increase in output where the PCi started struggling, as well as be able to calibrate it hot and get unbeleivable output, even tuned at 16hz. Luckily the spot where my PC+ was just as good for my PB2+. Don't forget to try rotating it in the same spot to see if it improves anything.

Let me also suggest you to set it up a little more unconventionally like I did to help deal with space. Take a look at my HT pic link and you'll see I have my PB2+ base plate removed and have it sitting on it's "face". This changed it to an 18'x22" footprint. I did this to keep the sub furthest from my TV as possible since I was getting some magnet interference. I originally used the rubber feet that came with it, but eventually got an Auralex GRAMMA isolation riser, now also sold as a SubDude, to reduce vibration. An unintended consequence of orientating the sub this way was a slight improvement in sound quality and then GRAMMA helped as well. Good luck.

6. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Thanks Wayne.... never crossed my mind to turn the PB on its face with the ports upward!

I am trying several positions and take readings as I go to see if I've improved anything. As I mentioned, the PB is definitely a lot more than the PC but only if I calibrate well above the usual.

My GF, suggested that I was probably just trying to justify a second PB2+......LOL

7. Rick Cohen

Rick Cohen Agent

Have you done anything to split your input signal to the subwoofer? I also have a PB2+ and have bass shakers. Even though my receiver has two outputs for subs when I hook up the bass shakers to the second sub output it reduces the input to the PB2+. The PB2+ seems pretty sensative to changes in the input level. You might need to pump up the input level to the PB2+ regardless of the position.

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Are you running your PB12-Plus/2 in it's stock tune Donny?

Something isn't adding up hear. Yes each placement position will have it's own characteristics but your in the same corner as your prior sub and their both down firing. WayneO has a good idea. I would fire one off to Tom though and see what he suggests?

9. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Here's an excellent thread on subwoofer setup that may be of some help.

10. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

I think it's two things. First, you say you have 2 ports plugged - this will reduce output considerably. Second, you hear the sub louder in a different room - which means that the current placement is not optimal.

11. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

First, you say you have 2 ports plugged

Well that answers my question. I missed that and now see it in Donny's 2nt post. Now things are starting to add up.

12. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Best thing to do is call Ron at SVS and tell him whats up.. He will get you straightened out!

13. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Hadn't thought about that!!! Yes, I split my signal to run some shakers........ I'll add that info during my "exploration"....
    Primarily, I do believe that position is gonna make quite a difference as simply walking into the next room creates bone-crushing lfe.......
    We've already seen a change by moving the sub a couple of feet.......too bad it can't stay in THAT position! Kinda blocks a door....LOL
    My friends all say that it is "tremendous" bass and they can't imagine more..... and accuse me of being a bass-head wanting to cause earthquakes in the area. They are right, I love my bass........

14. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

A small move of my PB2+ and re-calibrating has got my HT to where I'm happy again. I did find that eliminating the shaker split didn't make any difference (great! as we really like the shakers under our butt). I now have one port plugged, running a 20hz tune and am 5-7db hot..... with the sub about 18" from its previous location.......

We just put in several older movies with significant lfe and that PB2+ seemed to chew up the room and spit it out! That thing is a real monster......

Since we've been able to enjoy our HT system more the past few weeks, I am sure I'll find something else to tweak next weekend....

15. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I now have one port plugged,

Hi Donny,

Sorry I didn't mention it in my last post for I was gunnin and runnin. The lower tune you were running your sub in was partially the problem, well in my mind anyway. I think your used to more presence and adjusting the tune up to 20Hz suits your tastes better along with getting it dialed in.

If you notice timing being slightly off and phase not doing the trick? Try adjusting the SW distance setting out a little. I set mine 4 more feet than what it actually is. I found this a big help in dialing in my PB-Ultra/2 in the 20Hz tune.

Definitely sounds like your on the right track and doing the necessary tweaks as you go. Be careful though, tweakers have a tendency to be upgraders also.[​IMG]

16. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I started out with two ports plugged for about the first two weeks then tried it with only one and have left it that way since. It may go lower with two plugged but how much lower does the thing need to go.. I love the feeling of your chest hairs moving as well...