Moving my 51" HDTV

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Keith Cook, May 11, 2003.

1. Keith Cook

Keith Cook Auditioning

I am moving to a 3rd floor apartment (dern wife) and was wondering if anyone had any tips on moving my tv up there. I guess its a pretty stupid question.... Just get 3 or 4 guys and manhandle it up there? I thought someone may have done this before and could maybe give me some tips. TIA! -KC

2. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Tell her the TV is too heavy to move.

Then order a 60" plasma set & have it delivered. [​IMG]

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You should have seen this epic, attention-getting thread in Display Devices from a month or so ago. It chronicled a gentleman's experiences with having purchased an RPTV that was too large to fit into his upstairs apartment. He ended up having the unit hoisted into his place via crane. The effects of that thread are still being felt to this day.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

wow, I feel for you. I'm moving a 45" mitsu RPTV to a third floor apt. this summer. Located near denver? I'll help you if you help me [​IMG]

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Weight varies w/ manufacturer and build quality. Some sets at similar sizes weigh more than others. My 47" widescreen HDTV is 150lbs and has casters, so two men can move it easily.

Will you have access to an elevator? Another really helpful thing if you don't have casters is those furniture dollies that U-Haul rents for pretty cheap.

Best of luck!

6. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Another vote for the furniture dolly ~ aka: hand truck. The kind which have 4 wheels instead of only two. Lift one end of the RPTV, place the flat of the dolly under it, then tip it back and unlatch the 2nd set of wheels. Now the set will be laying on it's side like it is on a gurney. This is how I moved both my 51" and 40" RPTVs up the stairs into my house.

7. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Remove the screen! Trust me on this. I had a 50" RPTV moved by "movers" and they messed up the screen. When I bought a 55" HDTV, the delivery guys removed the screen. It gives you extra room to manuever around corners, better places to hold on, and takes a tiny bit of weight off.

8. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

It really depends on your set. I have a 53" Hitachi Ultravision that I have moved 4 times over the past 5 years or so and have not had a problem yet. When I moved last the movers told me that they couldnt cover the electronics due to damage if they were dropped. I just told the guys I would buy them lunch if they made it in the truck with Zero dings, drops, etc. Just make sure you take it nice and slow and you shouldnt have a problem.

KyleS

9. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

I might be moving in about a year...

I've been thinking that I might try to sell my 50" ISF-calibrated Toshiba before I move (for a reasonable price) and buying a new one at the new house... Easier than moving several hundred miles and hoping the TV is still decently calibrated...