Moving into my 1st apartment: cable or DirecTV?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tim Holyoke, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

I lived in the dorms 2 years, had university cable (which was shitty and free), and at home we have DirecTV (only option, live in the country). I'll be moving into my 1st apartment in August, and am trying to figure out the TV and internet stuff.

I'm not even sure yet if the apartment will allow a satellite dish being mounted (we do have a balcony/patio though), so that may not even end up being an option. Charter is the cable provider in the area (Madison, WI). I asked some friends, and they said that the basic Charter cable TV package is like $40 or more a month?!?! I think Directv is around $35? I just have 1 roommate, each have our own bedroom, but as of now we'll only have the TV in the living room hooked up to cable/satellite, though I we may want to add it to our bedrooms at some time.

Another thing - I'm not rich. I'll be paying around $450 a month for rent/heat/electric as it is. No car payments or anything, but I have to pay for school and everything myself (although my roommate's parents are loaded and pay for everything for him [​IMG] ). So I may end up not having anything, I dunno, as long as I have the internet and basic TV, I may live, I have plenty of DVDs to watch, and won't probably be there all that much anyways.

But, for the sake of knowing my options - how does Charter handle multiple hookups? How much extra is each extra TV? I've seen the Best Buy adds with the 2 or 3 room systems for free or very cheap. What is the contract you must sign? The lease is 1 year, so we'll be there for next summer too.

Any help or advice you can give me is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Tim

2. MikeSh

MikeSh Stunt Coordinator

Tim, I can't help you with the Charter? But I can tell you that a lot of us here prefer satellite to cable. As far as I know both DTV & Dish require a 1 year contract. You usually can find a 2 room install for free.

The apt can limit where you put a dish but they can't forbid it altogether.

MikeS.

3. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Thanks Mike.....Charter=Charter Communications, I was at a friends and they have Digital cable, not even quite as many channels as our basic DTV, and I think he said they pay like $60! I think DTV is definitely the answer [​IMG]

4. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

If you are getting DTV as a "new" customer, Get a Direct TiVo known as the DTV DVR. There are some discounts available for new cusotmers. Make sure you have and can place the dish at the apartment first.

5. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

Tim,

You might want to check with your apartment complex. We have Charter Cable here in NV and almost every apartment building has a deal with Charter that gives residents a discount (they even give free basic cable im my complex). After the discounts, I get two digital cable boxes, cable modem, HBO & Showtime for $59/month. There's no way you can beat that with a DTV/DSL combonation (also, your porch has to have a clear view of the southern sky).

Good luck! --- Adam

6. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Adam, you're sorely tempting me to move. Sorely. I have all that and my cable bill is about $140.

7. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

It's not all roses here James, aside from the general quirkiness of living in Nevada, we have HDTV issues here in Reno. Our P.O.S. ABC affiliate will not have their DTV signal up until December 31 ... that means no Monday Night Fooball in HiDef [​IMG] [​IMG] And don't get me started on the NBC and FOX signals.

Then again, we do have gambling, whores and cheap cable. [​IMG]

8. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Agent

Hey, Tim. I'm in Madison too. I've been looking into this myself lately as I'm also moving into an apartment in the fall. I haven't checked if I can mount a dish yet, but I'm hoping I can. Here's what I've found:

First off, a basic DirecTV package w/o premium channels is $40 w/local channels, Charter is $55. When you add a few premium packages they kind of end up the same though.

2) HDTV. I'm hoping to buy an HDTV in the next year and well, I'm basically SOL. Charter doesn't offer HD service in Madison, and I can't afford an OTA box or an HD satellite receiver. I'm probably going to live w/o real HD programming for awhile and eventually get an HD DirecTIVO when the prices come down.

3) In the meantime, I'm planning to get the DirecTivo PVR/receiver, which seems the best deal if you want a PVR. Especially w/the dual tuners so you can record 2 things at once (or watch 1, record 1). They have some deals where you can get one w/installation and everything for $200, or for $250 you can get the DirecTivo and a second free regular receiver for a second room. (DirecTivo is $6/month and a second reciever is $5/month however) Or if you don't want a PVR, you can get a completely free receiver, or even two free receivers and installation. (there's some "handling" charge which isn't free though)

4) Biggest problem with DirecTV aside from the dish issue is that their website says they will offer local channels to Madison, WI in 2003. But its still "Coming soon." I intend to call them soon (no reply to email) to find out how soon this will be.

I don't know what charter charges for multiple rooms, if anything, its probably just something extra for additional cable boxes. Also they offer some kind of "deal" if you get both digital cable and cable modem from them, but that's not an option for me, since my apartment requires us to use their DSL/phone package from TDS Metrocom. So basically, if the local channels and dish issues work out, I'm planning on going DirecTV w/o question.

PS. Your name sounds familiar. Any chance I know you from somewhere? I'll be a 5th year student at UW this fall.

9. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Thanks Matt, that clears some things up. I probably won't be getting any premium channels, so DirecTV would definitely be cheaper for me...now I've got to make sure I can mount a dish (hopefully I'll have a good selection of apartments to choose from and can get one facing the southern sky).

I'll be a junior at UW-Whitewater this year, I'm from Monroe. I do have a sister that's also going to be a 5th year student...or maybe you played hockey? Dunno where else I might know you from - I probably wouldn't remember your name if I did know you [​IMG] . Thanks for the info.

Tim