Moving from 2 channel stereo to 5.1 HT/....what do I need?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by canali, May 13, 2004.

1. canali

canali Agent

I have a Unico (2 channel stereo analogue integrated amp)
    hooked up to a pair of Devore Fidelity Gibbon 8 floor speakers and a sony 999es (dvd/sacd/cd player)...I am considering buying a processor
    or multichannel receiver along with a new set of front speakers with center (the axiom line, for example) and using an older pair of mission 731pro bookshelf speakers at the rear. I would buy a matching Devore Fidelity center channel but it's quite costly ($1500...gulp!)
    I would buy a center channel also from Devore Fidelity but it's costly: $1500 (gulp)

The multichannel receiver I'm considering is the Denon AVR 3805 7.1
    Is there a cheaper method?
    My Unico integrated amp is strictly analogue 2 channel stereo.
    Any tips are appreciated...I am somewhat new to this area, so pls spk in plain english when responding (i'm not much of a techno buff...sorry!).
    [​IMG]
    Cheers
    Joe

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

do you wish to continue using the unico?

you really only need 3 more channels of power. there are several options for you in this regard. you could buy 1, 2, OR 3 amps to cover the 3 additional channels, and then you'd probably need a dd/dts pre-amp. or you can use the processing capabilities of a multichannel receiver and any number of it's amplifier sections to power either all or some of your speakers, depending upon whether you wish to use your unico or not (make certain the receiver has pre-outs if you do want to use the unico). many people use av receivers like this, as pre/pros only, and use additional amps to power their speakers. if you wanted to save money, you can probably get a lower-powered, lower-priced receiver, even within the denon line, and add amps later.

3. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Big mistake if you are going to move from Devores to Axiom's IMO.

Keep the Devores for music and just look for a cheaper center that has a similar design to them in particular the tweeter.

Also if unless you just hate the Unico you could keep it and just add a cheaper receiver with front channel preouts to run over to the Unico. Then the remaining three channels of the recv'r would power your surrounds and center. This will relieve your receiver of some power demands.

Personally I think if you follow your laid out lan you would probably suffer greatly in sound when it comes to music and I bet even the HT sound would suffer over all.