Moving coil cartridge help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DEAN DE FURIA, Apr 8, 2002.

1. DEAN DE FURIA

DEAN DE FURIA Stunt Coordinator

Is there anyway to step-up the gain on a moving coil cartridge without buying a new phono pre-amp? Can a "line amplifier" be used between the turntable and pre-amp? Any other suggestions?

2. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

They used to make a pre-preamp for MC cartridge. However you lose alot unless it is a really good unit

3. Andre Perusse

Andre Perusse Auditioning

I believe you are looking for something called a "phono-stage pre-amplfier" or a "phono equalizer." Rotel makes such a device, and it works with moving magnet or moving coil catridges. Here is a link to the product page:
    http://www.rotel.com/products/rq970.htm
    Cheers,
    Andre

4. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

A moving-magnet and high-output moving-coil cartridge require a phono preamp of average sensitivity (the kind typically found in older preamps and receivers, and some current units). A low-output MC cartridge requires a high-sensitivity phono preamp.

You must use an appropriate phono preamp because it re-equalizes the cartridge output per the standard RIAA curve (for several technical reasons, LPs are not recorded with a flat frequency response). A simple line stage cannot do this.

A good selection of phono preamps is available from the trusty folks at Audioadvisor.com. They will be very helpful with any product and application questions you may have. If possible, tell them what model cartridge you have. Even better, let them also know your cartridge's rated output specification.

Phono preamps are available in a wide range of quality and prices. You'll find fairly decent models starting at about $90-100 (a phono preamp for low-output moving-coils will start higher). You can even pay up to several thousand dollars. I'm sure you'll find one suitable for your system and budget.

Happy listening!

5. DEAN DE FURIA

DEAN DE FURIA Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help! I wanted to use the tubed phono section of a PAS-4 Dynaco Pre-amp with a moving coil cart. I'll look into a phono "pre-amp".

6. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

If your MC cartridge is a high-output unit, that good ol' Dynaco's phono section might work. Give it a try. If the Dyna's gain is insufficient, you'll know it (volume won't be loud enough and you will hear lots of noise).

An alternative: Unless you absolutely must use that moving-coil cartridge of yours and its output is too low to work with the PAS-4, consider buying a moving-magnet cartridge--most such units should work nicely with the Dyna. Grado makes outstanding (very, very musical) moving-magnet cartridges. Last I checked, Audioadvisor.com sells them, too. The higher the price, the better the Grado, but even the very low-priced ones are impressively musical.

Of course, all the above assumes the PAS-4 is in good working order. It has been an extremely long time since I heard a Dyna tube preamp, but I recall they can be a bit noisy (hiss, hum), especially when compared with more modern equivalents. They can sound nice, though! Tubes and LPs--a match made in musical heaven.