Moving a 50" RPTV across town

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_Isaacs, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Dan_Isaacs

Dan_Isaacs Extra

I need to move a Mitsu 50" RPTV (4:3). I don't know too much about the issues to be mindful of (how close to flat it could be laid while on a dolly, for ex.)

My plan thus far is to rent a 10' truck from Ryder/Uhaul/whatever with an appliance dolley and tie-downs. I read elsewhere that putting a few layers of cardboard underneath will help lessen the impact of travel-related vibrations. And will two guys be enough to move it?

Anyone have advice for me?

2. Mike Hamilton

Mike Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

Absolutely do not lie it flat or even test to see how far from vertical it can go.
    While the mirror is reasonably secured, it can still slide around if beyond the grasp of gravity. Also be mindful of not twisting the cabinet in any manner. Flexing can also jeopardize the mirror as well as stress the epoxy that constitutes the main circuit board which lies flat on the bottom of the chassis.
    When you get it to its new destination, if it is cold, do not immediately turn it on...allow it to warm to room temperature. This will also allow the air pocket in the CRTs to rise to its normal position out of view (assuming it sustained any dramatic jostling.

Good luck!

3. Dan_Isaacs

Dan_Isaacs Extra

Will an appliance dolley with straps be enugh to move this, or does it require the brute strength of a few beer bribed buddies? Will tilting ~30 degrees back be harmful (I read >45 was to avoided at all costs)?

4. Mike Hamilton

Mike Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

They aren't overly heavy, just a bit awkward and front weighted. You should carry it outright. Strapping it outside of the box is going to possilby apply the type of flex-stress that I was referring to.

Get your buddies, but: Brewskies after moveskies!:b

5. Wesley S

Wesley S Stunt Coordinator

My buddy has moved his 55" Sammy W/S 3 times now. All three times 2 people carrying it up 2 flights of stairs with only one close call [​IMG]

He hasn't had any problems just yet. Just be careful and like mentioned above. Beer AFTER the move [​IMG]

6. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

On a related note, what would be the best way to move a 32" Wega? It was a floor model that was delivered to my house by Tweeter. They won't move it again, so I'm going to try it on my own. Unfortunately, there's no original packing, so I also need advice on what to use for that. It weighs ~175 lbs.

I have a minivan with removable seats that I can use, so transportation's not an issue. The biggest problem is getting a box and moving it down a flight of stairs. Any equipment necessary?

7. Dan_Isaacs

Dan_Isaacs Extra

Just get a buddy. I have a 32" Sony (not wega) and it's no big deal for two guys to carry. I've moved mine at least 10 times since I've had it. Just get a good grip, and lift with your legs. [​IMG]

You don't need a box, just set it in the back of the van. I moved mine that same way.

8. Dan_Isaacs

Dan_Isaacs Extra

Just an update on how things went:

Rented a 14' Uhaul (moved Entertainment center also)

Had two friends help. Two of us lifted the sides with the 3rd stabilizing the front. Carried it up the ramp to the truck. Used a flattened cardboard box (from my shopvac) and blankets to protect the front which was placed against the side of the truck. Set the "tower" down against the rear to keep it from moving. Drove very carefully. [​IMG]

Here is the finished product:

[​IMG]

I moved the old setup into my computer room, where I can now play video games in the comfort of my futon and pretend I'm still 19. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's the 32" which my wife and I moved it in there.