Moving a 47" Panasonic RPTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DarrenAlan, Dec 10, 2003.

1. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

I did a fair amount of searching without really finding an adequate answer to my question.

The problem: My wife and I are likely moving from San Diego to the San Francisco Bay Area, a trip of about 500 miles.

We will probably hire professional movers for most of the stuff (I have an SUV and will probably make a few trips on my own).

The model is Panasonic 47WX49 and it's been tweaked by Mr. Gregg Loewen himself. The picture is gorgeous now and I'm worried about mucking it up with a move. Although, as someone pointed out, it's probaby moved a whole helluva lot more than those 500 miles in the course of being transported from place of manufacture (Taiwan? China?) to the states.

The plan:

1) Cut a large piece of cardboard to cover the unprotected screen, affixed with painter's tape

2) Lay still more large sheets of cardboard, perhaps 4-6-8, underneath the unit to absorb as much vibration as possible

3) Have the movers wrap the entire unit in one, perhaps two, blankets

4) Ensure the unit is very secure in the truck

5) Once delivered, allow to reach room temp again before turning on, then running Video Essentials and convergence

6) Since it will have been two years since Loewen's calibration as of 4/04, have him or another ISF tech in the area "touch up" the grayscale, geometry, 64-point convergence, etc. in the first few months of the year.

Otherwise, I may just try to get $500 or so from an interested party down here and start over up north. I won't have the dough for an HDTV plasma but those skinny new DLPs and Hitachi Ultravision RPTVs are sounding good, and I could always use a few more inches of screen size (like who couldn't?) .... .

Thanks in advance for any wisdom and guidance.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Things to touch up ... convergence.

Grayscale but due to 2 years of use and not the travel. Brightness falls off a bit so worthwhile to touch up.

regards

3. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Michael! Yes, I figured a touch-up was in order anyway due to the passage of time.