What's new

Moving a 36" XBR...Help! (1 Viewer)

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
I know this topic comes up now and again but I was wondering if anyone had some good idea's on moving one of these beasts. At 250lbs and $2500 I don't want to damage anything including myself or my friends. It is really worring me.
I am moving in the beginning of next month from my Townhouse to my new home across town about 10 miles away. I will have to carry it up 1 flight of stairs from my townhouse basement and down about 5 step to get it to ground level outside. From there I think it will fit in the rear of my Jeep Cherokee. The place it's going in my new house will be on the ground floor...until my baement HT room is finished in a year or two.
I could hire a mover to move just the set...I wonder how much it would cost...anyone have an idea?
thanks Randy:frowning:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You know, I wouldn't trust movers with your honey, Randy. This calls for planning. Get two of your friends to help--two to lug the XBR from her sides, while the other opens doors and clears traffic.

And it won't be easy. I sympathize; those sets are amazingly heavy.

Yet, you and your buddies can order for a pizza afterward and screen some flicks!

Did you keep the packing materials and the box?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's true. But I have seen movers treat life's most precious essentials--among them, Sony's XBR-series WEGAs--much too carelessly to be comforted by the thought of insurance protection! :)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Whatever you do don't try sliding it accross a floor.
Mine dug a 1/4" deep trail in our knew kitchen floor. I got a new TV and my wife got another new floor. :)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I would go with a mover. I know that accidents can happen, but if the chance is there, why not get the insurance? Usually, when I employ a moving company, I go with a "smaller" mom and pop operation. They tend to hire better people because they can't afford the bad rep, or they do the work themselves and actually care about their customers. So far, I'm running on a very good streak that way.

Bruce

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
Jack, No go on the box and packing materials. They were just too big to keep lying around in my basement.

Randy

BradK

Stunt Coordinator
Randy, I am a mover, and can tell you from experience that hiring a couple guys is your best bet. This time of year is generally not very busy, and you should end up with full time, experienced help that know what they are doing. Call well ahead of time, explain the situation, tell them that this is as valuable as your first born, and you want it done right. Get in writing that you will be covered for entire cost of new set if something did happen.
Here in Calgary, something like this would cost around $60.00 - [email protected]. I would guesstimate your rates down there would be roughly $50.00US.@hr. You may have to pay 10-20 dollars for a little extra insurance depending on company.
As far as getting a "Ma and Pa" operation as Bruce suggests, make sure that "Ma and Pa" are the ones doing the actual work, otherwise you may end up with less than acceptable guys showing up. A lot of times, if they dont have the help available , these type of operations will hire anyone, just to get the job completed. If they can't guarantee that they will be the ones doing it, stay clear of them and go with a large van line company.
Sony TV's are DAMN heavy, and awkward. Get someone who moves them everyday to do it. If you can afford to have that tube, you can afford to hire someone to move it for an hour or two. You won't regret it once it's moved.
Edit: those prices would be for two men and a truck.

Alan Dahl

Auditioning
Randy, I too have an 36"XBR and will be moving it soon so I will be interested to hear what you decide and how it works out. I plan to hire piano movers (If they will do it). IMO they are more experienced with heavy valuable items than ordinary movers. They may charge more than an ordinary mover, but I think it would be worth it. For reference, I was charged $150 for moving a piano about 2 hours by piano movers in CA.

Good luck.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Just a thought, but if you bought it locally & were happy with the first delivery why not use the same moving guys again? If you got it from a store why not give them a call maybe they would be more than happy to charge you again for moving the set ;)

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
Wallace...your crazy but I admire the spirit. Bill I got it at a local Tweeter and I do plan to call them and ask them just that. BTW I called (3) local movers to get a price...just waiting for a call back.

Randy

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
Ok...I called about 5 movers and they were all quoting me $200+ to do it because here in the communist state of Pennsylvania moving companies are state regulated??!! So I'll be moving it with myself and some friends in the Jeep. I also called Tweeter where I bought it and they won't move it either.

wish me luck...Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks