What's new

Movies You’ve Watched More Than 10 Times (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
So, here are the five films I have watched more than any others basically to the point where I have occasionally suffered some burnout...

1. Dr. Strangelove - I can't tell you how much I love this picture. Over the years I have learned more and more about it and why Kubrick made it and how his fear of nuclear destruction was not only very real but damn near drove him to move to Australia due to his discovery during his research of the topic that it may have been at the time the safest place to be if Russia and the United States launched an attack on each other. Basically, I've come to feel this film covers most of what is right and wrong with the world and how despite our best intentions, due to our being aware that we exist for only a limited amount of time, we are pretty much obsessed as a species with our own annihilation. It's both dark and hilarious in wonderful ways and stands as, in my opinion, one of the most brilliant films ever made...as an entertainment, satire, and social commentary. Everything wonderful about filmmaking to me is contained in this picture.

2. Apocalypse Now - A friend and I managed to sneak into this picture when I was just 12 years old. I had no idea what it was about at the time but the title intrigued me and I thought it was a horror film about the end of the world. Turned out that's pretty much what it was to me at that point. It seemed to cover some of the same ground as Strangelove except without the laughs. I did not know it was based on Conrad's Heart of Darkness at the time and had not yet read the book but I did feel that the film exposed to me how dark the hearts of men could be. I first purchased this film on VHS and my friends and I watched it over and over and over again. On roads trips in high school and college we would quote from the film constantly. The film to me was never about the Vietnam war but really about, again, how humans as a species go utterly insane when we stand too close to our own true nature. I think that trip up the river is about how any society walks a very fine line between coexistence and utter chaos.

3. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - So, watched this every time it was on television as a child. Then got to see it on the big screen in my teens. It was not until I was in my teens that I realized that Clint Eastwood's character is not really a "good" guy and is really just another obsessed mercenary caring little for anybody other than himself and fattening his wallet. In a way the film is a great metaphor for what would become of the United States. Perhaps as an Italian Leone saw this quite clearly and so the three characters in the film just represent our greed and vicious pursuit of cash above all else. Sure, the three characters and their methods may seem a bit different but they are all after the same thing.

4. Jaws - This has been a summer tradition for me pretty much going back to when I saw it in a theater in 1975. Basically, I think I have suffered complete burnout with this film and have taken a break from it. It is not at all a complex story but it has lots of great little moments and the acting in the film is pretty awesome all the way around. Although mostly known as a "horror" film about a very big and very hungry shark the film is really about men coming together to solve a problem. The three leads are all quite different and they all bring different things to the table and they manage to overcome their differences, pool their strengths and win the battle. Now we all know the three leads in the film but Murray Hamilton as the mayor basically steals every scene he is in and gives a performance better than any supporting actor nominated for an academy award in the past 3 decades. Wow, is he awesome in this! So really, this is an ensemble acting piece masquerading as a horror film about a hungry shark.

5. Network - My obsession with this film began in the 1980s. I did not see Network in a theater in 1976. Even if I had I would not have likely grasped how brilliant this picture is. I was a freshman in high school when I first saw this picture and boy did it leave a mark. Basically, it touched upon something that Strangelove and Apocalypse also addressed...that as human beings the line between being sane and absolutely bat shit is mighty thin. Not to mention it perfectly predicted the rise of something like FOX News. We don't get much great satire anymore as it seems to be something people now just do not like. There have been some good ones like Thank You for Smoking or I Heart Huckabees (both of which desperately need a blu-ray) but they mostly go totally ignored by the general public.

Great list! As someone said before, simply too many to name.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
There are a LOT of films I've watched more than 10 times. Here's the ones I've watched more than 25 times:

The Wizard of Oz
Miracle on 34th Street
Star Wars
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Field of Dreams

There may be a few others. But the film I've watched more times than any other:

The Majestic

Which is saying a lot because it is only 17 years old.

Mark

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Looking over everyone's lists I'm seeing several I forgot! The most egregious omissions (some not mentioned by others) are:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (20+)
The Life of Brian (20+)
Time Bandits
This is Spinal Tap
Sinbad the Sailor
(20+)
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The Shining
A Clockwork Orange

Just how did I not put those on my original list!?!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It is SO great to see someone else is an even bigger fan of The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao than I am. I probably would have watched it even more than I have if we had a Blu-ray rather than an OK DVD.

I remember leaving the theater after seeing it for the first time and heading right to the local record store to buy the soundtrack album. Alas, there wasn't one! It took decades for one to finally come out.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I have a group of all-time favorites that I've watched annually (some more than annually) for the last 30 years, either on TV, VHS, DVD or BD....

All the Bond films
Where Eagles Dare
The Guns of Navarone
Ice Station Zebra
Ben-Hur
LOA
Them!
It's a Wonderful Life
True Grit
The Wizard of Oz
Battle of the Bulge
The Great Escape
Chinatown
Singin in the Rain
The Sound of Music
Dr Zhivago

I'm sure there are dozens more I've seen 10+ times but these are my go-to's

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Looking over everyone's lists I'm seeing several I forgot! The most egregious omissions (some not mentioned by others) are:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (20+)
The Life of Brian (20+)
Time Bandits
This is Spinal Tap
Sinbad the Sailor
(20+)
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The Shining
A Clockwork Orange

Just how did I not put those on my original list!?!
I'm conservative about the Monty Python movies. I think Meaning of Life should be on mine. I've watched it much more than the others. I still have a recorded VHS with narration before the opening short and before the movie starts. I've never seen that on any of the releases. I have the bought VHS, the DVD that was supposed to be flawed and finally a nice blu ray.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
It is SO great to see someone else is an even bigger fan of The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao than I am. I probably would have watched it even more than I have if we had a Blu-ray rather than an OK DVD.

I remember leaving the theater after seeing it for the first time and heading right to the local record store to buy the soundtrack album. Alas, there wasn't one! It took decades for one to finally come out.

Many of my viewings were on the big screen. I really enjoyed the movie and took a lot of friends to see it. The advertising was so bad that they had all given it a pass.
I also wish we had a Blu ray but I don't expect one.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
There's no doubt, many films that I've seen more than 10 times (Although I never got into the habit of keeping a written record!), as I was in the habit of giving titles many multiple viewings in my youth.

Among my 10+ timers that I've viewed at least once within the last 5 years:

HARD DAY'S NIGHT, A (1964)
HELP! (1965)
DRACULA (1931)
WIZARD OF OZ, THE (1939)
MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944)
EASTER PARADE (1948)
EAST OF EDEN (1955)
IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946)
TITANIC (1997)
SONS OF THE DESERT (1933)
WAY OUT WEST (1937)
FLYING DEUCES, THE (1939)
SCROOGE: A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1951)
LEMON DROP KID, THE (1951)
SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952)
MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET (1947)

CHEERS! :)

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Thanks to the OP - this has turned out to be such a fun thread (kissin’ cousin to Discaholics Anonymous almost).

Yes, the more I read other’s lists, the more films I realise I left out, including:

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

Apollo 13

The Guns of Navarone

The Odd Couple

Barefoot in the Park

Doctor Strangelove

Patton

Signs

Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion (you heard me!)

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Men in Black

Matilda

Seven Brides...

and no doubt more!

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just from memory and at a brief listing. I know there are many more.

Planet of the Apes (1968)
Beneath the Planet of the Apes
Jaws (pretty much every summer for the past 20 years)
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
The Towering Inferno
The Poseidon Adventure
The Man With the Golden Gun
Psycho
Casablanca
It's A wonderful Life
Rope
Vertigo
Rear Window
Saboteur
Citizen Kane
The Wizard of Oz
The Third Man
To Kill A Mockingbird
The Caine Mutiny
Touch of Evil
North By Northwest
Double Indemnity
Follow Me Boys
Darby O'Gill and the Little People
Old Yeller
Star Trek - The Motion Picture
Star Wars (Ep. IV)
Star Trek II
Alien
Aliens
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Singin' In The Rain
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
The Searchers
The Cowboys
Unforgiven
Dirty Harry

I enjoy escaping with my favorite films, they are like old friends.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Like everyone else...so many that I love!
I've seen the Rathbone/Bruce Sherlock Holmes films so many times that I know the names of all of the minor players and can almost recite the scripts from memory! Closely followed by the Universal 1930s-1940s horror cycle.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Warm and fuzzy eh? The film I've seen most times in my life is Robocop. At least once a year since I caught it at the movie theatre 30 years ago. When the time comes, I've requested that my remaining friends hold a screening of Robocop at my wake. Hopefully, that won't be soon.

Great film and another that should never have been remade as you just can't improve on the original. I'm watching "That 70's Show" on Netflix now and it still amazes me to see Kurtwood Smith in a comedic role after laying down that classic Clarence Boddicker.

"I'd buy that for a dollar."

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
For me, it's all childhood favourites. The original Star Wars movies, Indiana Jones, the Bond films, The Wizard of Oz on TV, Alien, most of Kubrick's films, Blade Runner. The Connery and Moore Bonds I've probably seen 25 times. And Raiders even more - I watched it several times the summer it was released and have seen it about once a year every year since.

But I don't believe there's any movie released after I became an adult that I've seen 10 times. Maybe Die Hard, and that barely qualifies, as it came out when I was 19. The vast majority of films, even those I really like, I only watch once. A few I might see 2 or 3 times, at most. The Big Lebowski might be up to 5 or 6 at this point.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
The Godfather
The Godfather Part 2
Psycho
North by Northwest
The Birds
Strangers on A Train
Rear Window
Vertigo
A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
2001 A Space Odyssey
The Shining
It's A Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th Street
The Bishops Wife
A Christmas Story
Taxi Driver
Raging Bull
Goodfellas
Apocalypse Now
Wait Until Dark
West Side Story
A Streetcar Named Desire
From Here to Eternity
On the Waterfront
East of Eden
Rebel Without a Cause
Giant
A Place in the Sun
Shane
High Noon
The Searchers
How Green Was My Valley
Citizen Kane
Touch of Evil
The Manchurian Candidate
Lawrence of Arabia
Bridge on the River kwai
A Night to Remember
The Dirty Dozen
The Great Escape
The Apartment
Some Like it Hot
One Two Three
The Fortune Cookie
Stalag 17
Sabrina
Sunset Boulevard
Double Indemnity
The Best Years of Our Lives
The Producers
Blazing Saddles
Annie Hall
Hannah and Her Sisters
Do the Right Thing
12 Angry Men
Sweet Smell of Success
A Face in the Crowd
A Hatful of Rain
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Dog Day Afternoon
Murder on the Orient Express
Goldfinger
From Russia With Love
The Last Picture Show
His Girl Friday
Red River
Jaws
Close Encounters of the Third kind
ET
Star Wars
Tootsie
The Graduate
Catch 22
A Hard Days Night
Help !

A lot of these viewings were from when I upgraded formats from VHS to LaserDisc to DVD to Blu-ray

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks