What's new

Directors Movies you've never seen (and are afraid to admit) (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I've been wanting to write this thread for a while, but I didn't know if it would get much of a response. But after watching the Futurama commentaries (where Matt G. admits to not seeing a lot of the movies that they spoof - i.e. Willy Wonka), I had to see if there are others out there like me.

I've never been a big movie buff, but thanks to DVD, I've been able to catch up on a lot of films I've never seen before, and I now realize that there are still a lot I've yet to see.

The biggest one I can think of is "The Godfather". I'm 32 and I may have caught scenes here and there on tv, but I've never seen the entire movie before :b

I also find that when ever my friends talk about movies from the 80's, they are all shocked by the fact that I never saw "Pretty in Pink"

Am I alone here? What movies have you never seen, that would cause a gasp?

p.s. I guess it would have more of an impact to cite your age group. For example, it would be more shocking if a 30 year old (as opposed to a 10 year old) hasn't seen Star Wars Ep.IV.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I was also going to say The Godfather. I have also never seen Scarface, Goodfellas, Adaptation, or Casablanca.

(Ducks flying objects.:))

kevin_asai

Stunt Coordinator
I've never seen Citizen Kane, Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi, Indiana Jones trilogy, Wizard of Oz, Raging Bull, Scarface, Gone With The Wind, Psycho, Casablanca, etc :b

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
I've never been able to finish Doctor Zhivago.

I own it, and every time I see bits of it I'm blown away by how majestic and simply beautiful it is.

I just can't sit through it without going into some sort of coma. Half way into the film and things just black out. It's uncanny.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
(copies entire thread, examines...) :D

I've never seen The Godfather trilogy (tried to watch the Godfather a few years back, turned it off after 20 minutes because it was going so slow), Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Gone With the Wind, Psycho (or any Hitchcock movies), any Kubrick movie (borrowed 2001 two times from the library but never got around to even trying to watch the first few minutes of it), and perhaps most shameful of all...the Terminator movies. :D

There are other movies mentioned in this topic that I haven't seen as well, but I don't have the least bit of fear in admitting that I haven't seen them. As for the age group thing, I'm 20, I've heard of all these movies, but just haven't gotten enough interest in me to try and check out these movies. I guess the Die Hard trilogy didn't teach me anything. I didn't see any of the movies until two years ago, and now I can't see why I didn't see them sooner.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Taking a glance at the top ten films in the AFI's Top 100 Movies list from 1998, I still haven't seen Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, On the Waterfront, and Singin' in the Rain. In fact, out of the entire list, I've only seen 41 of them from beginning to end.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I bought Lawrence of Arabia, but I haven't watched it yet. I finally bought/watched Citizen Kane, but I do have to admit it was more for the fact that there were supposedly more Citizen Kane rip offs on the Simpsons than any other movie.

Ahhhh, The episode where Mr. Burns loses Bobo make more sense now.
I have also never seen Scarface, Goodfellas, Adaptation, or Casablanca.
Same here. I think my high school teacher showed up Casablanca one day in school, but I really don't remember it. Oh yeah, also add "Ben Hur" and "The Ten Commandments".

Or what about classic comedies like "History of the World part I"??? I've only caught bits and pieces of this when it's on tv.

And as far as movies that I've recently seen for the first time "The Rock"...WOW! Why did I wait so long to watch this??? :emoji_thumbsup:

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Those of you who've never watched the Godfather trilogy, should really stop reading this thread, get your car, and go rent them RIGHT NOW. Seriously! GO! :D

Classics that I've never watched:

- Gone with the Wind
- Lolita (Kubrick's version)
- Psycho
- Dr. Zhivago
- Lawrence of Arabia

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Birth of a Nation (I'll eventually purchase Kino's DVD)
The Jazz Singer (waiting for the DVD)
The Thief and the Cobbler (waiting for restored version)
The Graduate
The Kid (Chaplin)

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Too many to list, but I am surprised that are so many people wrote about Godfather, and Patrick, I am REAL surprised that you haven't seen The Graduate;) .

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I have the Godfather set, but I still haven't managed to watch Part III. I've always heard disparaging remarks about it and I'm afraid to watch it and dilute the characters from the first two films.

Never seen:

very popular films
Gone With The Wind
The Ten Commandments
Ben Hur
Doctor Zhivago
Any of the Lord of the Rings movies... [putting on flame suit]
The Lion King
Spider-Man
either Harry Potter movie
Signs

highly praised films
Ordinary People
Paths of Glory
Rashomon
The Grapes of Wrath
The Best Years of Our Lives

Of those listed, my only obvious regret is not having seen Rashomon yet.

Brad

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Recent Best Picture winners:
Schindler's List
Braveheart
Unforgiven
Platoon

Plus:

Beauty & the Beast
The Lion King
The Little Mermaid
Alladin
Caddyshack
Das Boot
Dirty Harry (any of them)
Do the Right Thing
Donnie Darko
Ed Wood
Eraserhead
The Goonies
Jerry Maguire
JFK
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Revenge of the Nerds
Scarface (1983)
Spaceballs
The Thing
The Wild Bunch

among others :b

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Vickie, I was going to say "You should really watch The Ten Commandments and Braveheart!" but then I saw The Goonies is on your list... And I fainted. That's just sinful, dude ;)

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Here goes but please keep the flaming to a minimum.LOL

I have not watched ANY action movies in 3 years...
Not because there weren't any good ones. There have been plenty.

The reason is because I started my home theater project 3 years ago and 2 months after starting I got sick and then I got into a major accident. I am now finishing it up just in time to be house-bound for a full year due to a bone-marrow transplant May 2.

I think all action movie need to be watched in surround sound so I've been waiting. I even own some good action movies that haven't even been opened yet. I plan on buying the matrix set on tuesday.

So what will I be doing in the next year, yea you guessed it catching up.

Signed
Ed O'Neill

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Never seen Gone With the Wind, Singin' in the Rain, The Wild Bunch, It's a Wonderful Life, Sound of Music, West Side Story (never watch musicals), Ben-Hur, M*A*S*H. Those are the major ones. About 3 or 4 months ago, there were many more major films that I hadn't seen, but I've been making a point of watching them. Of the 8 titles I mentioned above, I own 4 on DVD and haven't watched them yet, and plan on renting the others. I anticipate that I will have seen all 100 AFI films by the end of May.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
"You should really watch The Ten Commandments and Braveheart!"
I have seen The Ten Commandments. I'm a midwestern, Bible-school-going child of the 60's, I couldn't help but seeing it (though I preferred movies such as All Fall Down, Cape Fear and The Bad Seed). I own Braveheart on DVD, and I owned it on VHS before that, I have NO idea why I've never gotten around to just popping the damned thing in and watching it already. :) Maybe it's residual resentment for it beating out Apollo 13 for Best Picture.

I have Sean Astin in my Tivo Wishlist, and have been slowly catching up with all his films. The Goonies will show up one of these days. It's possible that I have seen it (seems there were a lot of similarly-named/themed movies in the 80's), but I have no memory whatsoever about any part of it. If I've seen it it'll come back to me as I'm watching it.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I have no idea why I included The Ten Commandments in my recommendation. I must have confused your list with Brad's for a second there :b

As for The Goonies... I'd wager you haven't seen it. There is no way someone could watch and then forget "The Truffle Shuffle" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks