What's new

Movies you saw in the theaters more than once (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Michael
How many of you have seen certain movie sin the theaters more than just once?

Here's my list:

The Rescueres Down Under

Fievel Goes West

Beauty and the Beast

Beethoven

Honey, I Blew Up the Kid

Liar Liar

Batman Begins

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure virtually all of us have seen various movies more than once during their theatrical runs. I couldn't come up with a list, as there'd be dozens of flicks that qualify.

However, the list of movies I've seen multiple times theatrically since the dawn of the DVD age is much shorter. Off the top of my head:

"Titanic"

"Lord of the Rings: Return of the King"

"Star Wars: Phantom Menace"

"Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith"

"The Dark Knight"

"A Bug's Life"

"Toy Story 2"

I'm sure there are more than that, but those are the ones that come to mind...

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My first thought when I read this was "You're kidding, who hasn't," but after thinking about for a while maybe this is the new normal.

Before mid 1980's if you ever wanted to see a movie there was no option to paying to see it multiple times. It might show up on TV eventually, but who knows in what form and quality it would end up. So many of my friends saw 2001, Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders so many times it was scary - a dozen or more times wasn't unusual and a couple claimed Star Wars close to 100 though I always took that with a grain of salt . Certainly the whole 1940/1950's it was typical to go to the theater weekly, send the kids to see the Saturday matinee (or weekday specials during the summer), or the weekend Drive-In where the same movie might be playing weeks at a time.

Maybe after Rental places this isn't as common other than a few films like Avatar and Titanic

I think the days of taking the kids to see the recent Disney has suffered knowing the film will be on Home Video soon enough.

Personally, I can't say I've paid to see any movie in theater more than 5 times and even those were likely spaced over 2-3 decades -

The one's that come to mind"

Gone With the Wind - unfortunately most of those were the cutup/cropped version

Star Trek II -- 3 times in the first 24 hours due to some odd circumstances

Star Wars -- twice in 77, once during a Pre-Empire re-release, and once when the SE were released

Empire Strikes Back maybe 3times including the SE.

Close Encounters 3 or 4 times depending on how you count the SE

LOTR Trilogy twice each

Sound of Music and Mary Poppins as a kid, but being somewhat rural area I didn't have a close enough theater to be able to walk down the street -- other than the Drive-In the closest was at least 10 miles away.

Numerous Disney re-releases back when they made 10-15 years cycles like Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, etc.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In the last couple of years, I've been seeing movies in the theater alot so I've started seeing more than just Star Wars (or some other movie that I love) multiple times theatrically. Just in the last month, I've seen Get Him To The Greek and Toy Story 3 twice.

On a side note, I've seen Jaws twice theatrically despite being born after its initial release.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I used to repeat a lot more when I was younger. It was also easier to repeat years ago when popular films would be released multiple times to theaters. Now, you have about 3 or 4 weeks to see a film before it begins to disappear from theaters.

The last film I saw more than once theatrically was probably LOTR: Return of the King. These are the others I can remember:

Gremlins

The Goonies

Big Business

Aladdin

Beauty & the Beast

The Lion King

The Mummy (1999)

Reign of Fire

Saving Private Ryan

Beetlejuice

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Batman (1989)

Jurassic Park

Candyman

Child's Play

Fright Night

Critters

Deep Impact

Legends of the Fall

Titanic

LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring

LOTR: Return of the King

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Back in the 70's I saw Enter the Dragon at least a dozen times at the cinema, if not more, every time it was re-released I'd be there.

Jaws was another film I saw multiple times during it's initial run and re-releases.

The last film I watched more than once at the cinema was The Fellowship of the Ring.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Nostalgia time. Granted I was a little kid but I can remember going to see Hard Day's Night numerous times. In our theatre, show time would start at 10:00 in the morning. My girlfriend & I would catch a bus and attend these matinees every Saturday. They would show it two-three times till a more adult feature started. They use to comb the theatre during showings so we use to hide in the bathroom until it started again. If I can remember Hard Day's Night played at our theatre for a least a couple of months, maybe longer. Ahhhh those were the good old days.

Years later I can remember seeing The original Star Wars trilogy a few times, Jurassic Park, Lethal Weapon but that's about it.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I have only seen.....

Jurassic Park - Saw it like 3-4 times.

Dazed and Confused - saw it like 3-4 times.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 11x

Avatar - 5x (2x IMAX-3D, 2x Real-3D, 1x 2D) plus probably 2 more times during the August 27th re-release.

Terminator 2 Judgment Day - 4x

The Abyss - 3x

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The current release-schedule game that the studios play really make a mess for viewers... I know when Avatar came out, things were busy, crazy, and bordering on insane. Never got a chance to see it in the theaters. And how much does a studio get from a Netflix rental? Not much!

I think probably the last films I've seen multiple times were...

Fellowship of the Ring

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (first viewing was FUBAR'd.)

Phantom Menace. (It couldn't be that bad, could it?! Saw it in 4 different theaters, including the Senator.)

Aladdin

Beauty and the Beast

Mulan

I'm sure there were others, but that sums it up for the recent years..

Leo

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Before the advent of home video, I viewed a number of bigger films more than once theatrically; but those days are mostly gone now. I'm sure there are others from the late 70s and through the 1980s, but ones that I recall are...

Star Wars ( a total of 45 times including the 1997 version. Yes really, that many viewings.)

Empire Strikes Back (around 20x)

Return of the Jedi (6x)

Blade Runner (around 8x)

Chariots of Fire (5 or 6x)

The English Patient (11x)

Multiple viewings but no specific count recollections;

Rocky

Jaws

The Abyss

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Alien

Aliens

Tron

Ghostbusters

Terminator
Terminator 2

Raging Bull

I'm completely burned out on the Star Wars films, but pretty much everything else in this post still gets a (home) viewing every 1 or 2 years.

- Walter...

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
In the pre-home video/DVD days:

Star Wars

Fun With Dick & Jane

The Deep

The Last Starfighter

The Empire Strikes Back

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

Superman II

Since 1986 or so:

Fantasia

The Phantom Menace

Attack Of The Clones

At this point though I almost never go to the cinema. I may have gone 5 times total since 2005.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I remember seeing movies several times before home video was 'the thing'. These days, I barely have time to get to the theater at all. I saw Titanic on opening day, than again on the Sunday. Beyond that, I saw Alien 3 five times, and Alien Resurrection five times (Aliens is my all time fave film, so anything Alien related gets me).

I do remember seeing Jacob's Ladder and Rain Man twice in the theater way back when.

I can't remember the last film I saw more than once recently though, I may have seen The Phantom Menace twice!

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
"Star Wars"

"The Empire Strikes Back"

"Raiders of the Lost Ark"

"Stark Trek II"

"Rocky III"

"E.T."

"Return of the Jedi"

"Ghostbusters"
"Purple Rain"

"Beverly Hills Cop"

"Rocky IV"

"Big Trouble in Little China"

"Dirty Dancing"

"Beverly Hills Cop 2"

"Fatal Attraction"

"Die Hard"

"Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"

"Batman"

"Lethal Weapon 2"

"Die Hard 2"

"Backdraft"

"Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves"

"Terminator 2"

"Batman Returns"

"Jurassic Park"

"The Fugitive"

"The Crow"

"The Lion King"

"Braveheart"

"Batman Forever"

"Heat"

"Twister"

"Mission: Impossible"

"Titanic"

"Armageddon"

"Saving Private Ryan"

"The Mummy"

"The Phantom Menace"

"The Sixth Sense"

"The Fellowship of the Ring"

"Spider-Man"

"Attack of the Clones"

"The Two Towers"

"X-Men 2"

"The Return of the King"

"Spider-Man 2"

"The Incredibles"

"Revenge of the Sith"

"Batman Begins"

"X-Men 3"

"Pirates of the Caribbean 2"

"300"

"Pirates of the Caribbean 3"

"Transformers"

"Iron Man"
"Indiana Jones 4"

"The Dark Knight"

"Star Trek"

"Transformers 2"

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Growing up in the 70's-80's my list would look pretty similar to most SW, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, BTTF, Disney stuff, etc. As an adult, it's pretty rare it ever happens. These days, given how little I go to the theater now, kids and ticket prices, I seriously doubt I ever see something more than once again.

Phantom Menace (5 times, 3 the first day)

Thin Red Line (3 times, 1 in a gorgeous Technicolor dye-transfer print)

Requiem for a Dream (3)

Eyes Wide Shut

Mulholland Dr.

Children of Heaven

Run Lola Run

Kill Bill v1

Marie Antoinette

Taxi Driver (2-3 times since '98)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Do different versions of Blade Runner count (original 1982 version and 2007 "final cut")?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Quite a few. I enjoyed seeing movies with different audiences, for reactions.

My highest record is KILL BILL, VOL. 2 (9 times).

I also saw FRIDAY THE 13TH 8: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN 8 times (I'm embarrassed to admit).

I saw NIGHT SHIFT (1982) multiple times, and also HISTORY OF THE WORLD PART 1.

Of course, I saw JAWS a lot when it was out, and then re-released, in the '70s.

There are many, many, others I've seen at least twice -- too many to name. The above examples are the ones which were really a lot, for whatever the reasons.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Well, since video rental and home cinema came around, I don't really think I've seen any movie more than once theatrically, but before that, I remember seeing Star Wars again just before seeing Empire, and then again a few years later SW and Empire before RotJ, the main theater in Stockholm made a thing of showing the earlier installments when the new one premiered.

The first Indiana Jones I saw many times, it ran really long here, and Diva (the French 80s classic) became a midnight special for many years, almost like a Rocky Horror thing (another movie I've also seen several times theatrically).

One I completely missed was Titanic, didnt't catch it till it came out on VHS (remember, it was like Star Wars, DVD hold back for some reason), and of course, by that time, no theater here ever picked up old movies again.

I'd really like to see that on a really big screen.

And yes, Blade Runner, the original and the 'not director's cut although labeled such', but not the final one.

That's about it.

juli888

Auditioning
Real Name
juli
The day after tomorrow, saw time and again at a cinema. The film very is pleasant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks