Movies you mark your life by

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Kevin Porter, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

What are some of the movies that you hold memory to as a marker for an event (major or minor) in your life? May it be 1st kiss or whatever. Something which you cannot think about without thinking about the movie.

2. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

I was watching Heartbreak Ridge on TV when it was interrupted by the news of a car accident that involved Princess Diana. I can't watch Heartbreak Ridge without thinking about Diana's death. [​IMG]

On a more positive note,
    I have fond memories of my Father when I watch Turner and Hooch, he loved that movie. [​IMG]

3. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

My first husband and I divorced because of Star Wars. (well, obviously, there was more to it, but that was the "straw" so to speak.) (I was obsessed by it, he thought I was nuts.)

My second husband and I bonded over The Elephant Man. When we both cried unabashedly, we knew we were meant for each other.

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

The Third Man - This made me realize how great a film can be when everything comes together.
    Aguirre: The Wrath of God - One of my first foreign films and one that really made an impression on me.
    Twelve O'Clock High - My late father's favorite film.
    Santa Sangre - The film I use to weird out my friends. [​IMG]

5. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

I drove my first car to ID4 in the theaters, I thought I was a stud *LOL*

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

The Great Santini - When I was little, playing baseball in the back yard, my Dad would climb out of his bedroom window onto the roof and scream "I AM THE GREAT SANTINI!" Never liked the movie, but my Dad always cracked me up when he did that.

Halloween - I spent the night with my Aunt (I was about 7), and she rented Halloween! Needless to say, I've had nightmares ever since.

It's A Wonderful Life - My Dad's favorite film.

I'm sure there are more...but those are the flicks that come to mind when I think of something special.

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

The Groove Tube- never before had I witnessed so much nudity and profanity- it warped my fragile little mind! [​IMG]

8. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - I'll always remember watching this movie right before going to my first-grade graduation ceremony. I wanted to be Indy after that. [​IMG]

Star Wars series - Seeing the OT for the first time was a huge event for me in 1995. That year is special for a lot of other reasons and SW ties it all together. The years 1997, 1999 and 2002 will also always be fresh in my mind, partly because of the major SW events of those years.

Back to the Future series - Will forever trigger memories of my childhood in the late '80s and early '90s.

The Great Muppet Caper - Will always remind me of the time I was really sick and my parents rented this for me and it made me feel better.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The first movie I ever saw in theaters.

Jurassic Park - The first major film I saw in theaters. I was absolutely obsessed with the film during all of 1993 and 1994.

Titanic - Everyone was talking about this movie during late '97 and '98. I remember a lot of things during that time because of the connection to this movie.

Mission: Impossible 2 - My parents were getting divorced around the time I saw this movie. This was also the first movie I ever discussed with a very good online friend of mine. I've talked to him regularly about movies ever since then.

Rush Hour - The movie that somehow convinced my parents to get a DVD player.

Field of Dreams - One of the few movies that my dad and I have enjoyed equally. We dissagree a lot, so this movie is special.

A.I. - It was the first film that I went to see alone in theaters. And it was the last film I saw in theaters before 9/11. [​IMG]

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

10. Robin Warren

Robin Warren Second Unit

Star Wars - Saw this 8 times at the Drive-In with my poor old pop. He would fall asleep and snore throughout the movie and I thought his snoring was Vader's mechanical breathing.

A Christmas Story - We had one of those 6 foot dishes when I was growing up and I remember watching this movie daily on the pay-per-view channels (unscrambled of course). This movie and The Abyss I must have watched a couple of dozen times. I remember staying up allllll night watching The Abyss back to back to back and not being able to make it to school in the morning.

The Shining - One of my earliest horror memories is of this movie. My mom tells me that I was unable to sleep through the night for a good month. Excellent.

11. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Starman -- Was watching that video with my girlfriend when I, um, became a man.:b Starman walks out of that ball of fire towards the end of the film and my girlfriend just attacks me. Good times, good times.

12. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Fort Apache: The Bronx - the opening cop murder really freaked me out as a young kid. To realistic for me at the time. And my dad and I had just come back from my grandmother's funeral a few days before while my mom stayed at the farm to wrap things up. Not that it was tramatic to me since I was too young, but I just remember everything else that was going on at the time because the film freaked me so much.

Men in Black - the last film I saw before moving away from Indy to Houston to take my first job out of college. Last time my friends and I all went to film together. Since I moved back some of us still go to films together, but not like the old days.

Streets of Fire - 15, first time in Hawaii (returned for the recent honeymoon) and the film print broke about 10 minutes in. No big loss, but that and Purple Rain (which was #1 at the time on all 3 charts - film, album, single) will always remind me of that trip and how nice it was.

Xanadu - sitting in the front row and almost getting sick from the angle. I was young enough that the film didn't suck at the time. [​IMG]

Dazed and Confused - once I bought the LD of it, it slowly made the rounds through everyone of my college buddies who would come over and watch it. It always reminds me of those times.

Mission: Impossible - I ran a little bit late in picking up a date because of this film. I had gone to see earlier in the day with my buddies and ran out of time trying to get ready later. That girl ended up being my wife and that dinner date was our first date. [​IMG] She actually remembers that it was that film more than I do. Strangely I can't really remember what our first film together was.

13. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

14. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

The Wizard of Oz, The Sound Of Music - The annual TV showings my Mom and I would watch every year from as early as I can remember thru high school.

Rattle and Hum - The first time I got to go "under the shirt". An empty theater = opportunity knocking [​IMG]

The Maltese Falcon - My obsession begins when I realize that it is the movies themselves that are "the stuff that dreams are made of"

15. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

The Breakfast Club--my first date (I think I was 12 at the time).

The Three Amigos--the first date with the girl who would eventually become my wife.

Ghost in the Shell--first anime I ever saw, and the beginning of my obsession infatuation with anime.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off--a bunch of buddies and I ditched high school my freshman year and walked to the mall to watch this movie. I had no idea at the time that it was about a group of buddies who ditch school for a day. I moved away shortly afterwards, so this remains pretty much my last fond memory of White Plains, NY, where I grew up.

16. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Higher Learning. Not a great film. I saw it the weekend before I was mugged, and watched it primarily for the music/soundtrack offerngs from Tori Amos. The next week I went into the hospital after being mugged off and on for three years, with about a 4 month stint recovering from coma.

I can't tell you a lot about a lot of films, but I can tell you almost everything that happened that night; who I was with, where we were (on a trip in Concordia, MN) and the walk that we had. I could tell you what we bought at the theater and what we talked about afterwards.

Greatly increased my love of film, if just for the experience [​IMG]

17. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Blade Runner - I was 15 when I saw it in the theater and it went completely over my head. I hated it!

Star Wars - not much to say about a bunch of 10 year old geeks seeing how many times we could see it.

Saving Private Ryan - The last film I saw with my mother in a theater.

Red Dawn - puked a bottle of Jack Daniels out the rear door of a VW convertable at the drive-in.

Pink Floyd- The Wall - Completely mentally enhanced , I watched this twice in a row. Then thought about it for another 8 hours. Utter destruction of my ego, and the opening of self-awareness. What an ugly time.

18. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

The Graduate I was a freshman in college and was struggling to keep my grades up to keep my college deferment. Also my girlfriend was putting pressure on to get married. Even though Benjamin had graduated with honors, I felt as lost as he looked.

19. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    Hmm... The first one that comes to mind is Terms of Endearment. My father had just died a few months before, and my mom and I were not getting along AT ALL. I was the last child left at home. I think I was 18.

I don't remember exactly what led to this -- I might have mentioned that I wanted to see the film again -- but for some reason my sister suggested, with my mom sitting right there, "Well, why don't you ask mother if she'd like to go with you?"

It was one of those cringe-inducing, embarrassing moments. "She doesn't," I said. "How do you know?" Sandy said. "Ask her."

So I looked over at my mom and like rolled my eyes and practically snapped, "So, do you want to go to the movies?" She flipped me the attitude right back, and said, "I MIGHT."

I laugh when think about that now, it just sounds so funny, but we really were barely speaking at the time, for a variety of reasons, one of which was that she felt I was very unfeeling about my father's death a few months earlier. I wouldn't even go to his funeral.

Anyway, we went to the movie, and I heard her crying at the death scene. I started to cry a little, too, and she took my hand and held it, which kind of embarrassed me, and I wanted to let go, but I didn't.

We didn't talk about it afterwards, but seeing that movie together did get us talking again, and we went to the movies quite often after that.

One she particularly liked was "Places in the Heart," partly because of the husband dying, the widow left not even knowing how much money her husband had made (she told me she'd never known my father's salary, either), but also because it really reminded her of her childhood growing up in the Midwest during the depression... Sally Field making cardboard insoles for her children's shoes because they had holes worn in them. My mom leaned over and whispered, "I remember when my mother used to do that."

Anyway, my mother is gone now, too, but I've always had a particular fondness for those films because of that.