What's new

Movies you liked but everyone else hated (1 Viewer)

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
I think people would rather ignore the satirical textures of film, than give it credit for being a head of its time. Gremlins 2:the new batch -the fist self-referential film of the 90s.

Chris*K

Auditioning

True. I guess I was referring more to real life, where I get plenty of strange looks. Clearly, people who visit this forum have better taste than the rest of the world. :)

ck

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I don't know if people actively hate it, but box office-wise it only made about 1/3 of the original's gross. So the audience didn't show up for whatever reason.

I was a huge fan of the first and found the second mildly interesting (and I do own the VHS, laserdisc, and DVD :) ). My problem was that it played more like an installment of "The Naked Gun" than a true sequel to "Gremlins." Far too much comedy.

Jonathan L

Stunt Coordinator
UHF

Starship Troopers

Matrix Reloaded & Revolutions

Star Trek Nemesis

Van Helsing

and I'm sure there's a few other turkeys I can't think of right now ;)

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
One movie that my wife and I loved and everyone else seemed to hate was Roberto Benigni's "The Monster." This was a hilarious comedy and no one else seemed to have their funny buttons pushed.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor

I think director; Joe Dante's attempt was to elevate B-level material for a film that wasn't even necessary in his eyes. Also I remember this movie scaring me
shitless during a special theatrical screening.
:D

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Lord of Illusions is one of my top 10 favorite films, but I don't get the vibe that everyone else hates it. Underrated, sure, but totally hated, I wouldn't go that far, as I know many people who see it for the outstanding film it is. Starship Troopers and Detroit Rock City are huge favorites as well, and the same thing goes for them. Also, virtually every single fellow horror fan I've talked to about it agrees that Alligator is a very cool flick. I hate the sequel though.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Final Fantasy: After all that has happened in the world since the movie's release in July 2001, perhaps some will revisit it and finally see its greatness.

~T

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry it took me so long to reply to you, John. Life intervened and all that jazz. :)

Oh yeah, I knew that. It's just that many of the people I talked to about the film right after it came out didn't get that at all, and I was having to explain it to them all the time. Merely a jab at those people. ;)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Going to have to jump on this bandwagon too. I can't get a soul to view this with me. I love it. CGI hotties and all. Hmm a trio with "cgi Steve" and Aki, "it's gettin' hot in here"

Joe Blech

Stunt Coordinator
Two words: Bubble Boy

Has anyone else caught this gem?

Also:

National Lampoon's Van Wilder
Vanilla Sky
Beverly Hills Ninja
UHF

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
NEIGHBORS (1981) - Great to see John Belushi in a straight man role for weirdo Dan Akroyd. Lots of bizarre laughs and scenarios.

DEATH BECOMES HER (1992) - The cast is excellent in an offbeat black comedy. Bruce Willis delivers a great performance playing against type as a nerd.

THE ODD COUPLE II (1998) - Worthy comedy sequel to the 1968 classic, and in some ways even funnier. Lemmon and Matthau are great together again, and this is simple and unpretentious fun.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
Michael
I really liked this movie. I thought it was hilarious. And since we are on John Travolta movies I also loved Phenomenom.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
How people think the ending of AI is "happy" is beyond me.

David has his wish- kinda. The woman they create is basically a cheap knock-off. She doesn't behave and think like the real woman did. But that's OK for David, this creature who "only wants love"- what he gets is pure superficiality (ironic because he was created to provide that- a superficial outlet for love with no consequences) and yet he's satisfied. So while I was feeling sorry for him up until that point, that final scene completed decimated any sympathy for any character in the film (except maybe Joe), leaving me with an empty, hollow impression of humanity.

It's the most depressing film I've ever seen.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I guess this falls more into a underrated category, heres some I love not held in high regard by others:

Dead Presidents
Mulholland Drive (While some here at HTF like it most out in the world dont)
Way Of The Gun
The Thin Red Line (While upgrading to the DTS version, I couldnt give the old one away - no one wanted it)
Barry Lyndon
Bully
Let It Ride
Bound
Gridlock'd
The Fog (Most think its boring)
Scrooged
Dogfight
Star Trek Nemesis (Except the horrible scene where Troi tracks the Viceray)
City Of Lost Children
Robocop2
Vanilla Sky

Some Ive always liked like The Rocketeer,Ed Wood,Crossroads and Blade Runner (No one used to like this movie) which have become more accepted over time.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Home on the Range: This movie has three funny cows who interact perfectly with each other. The supporting characters like Buck and the goat were pleasing to watch. Put simply, I have not had that many belly laughs in a movie theater for a long time. This is a great testament to Disney 2D animation.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have a new one, "My Boss's Daughter." Too funny! :laugh:

Ashton Kutcher comedies are sort of a guilty pleasure of mine. :b

James Buhler

Stunt Coordinator
1. Neighbors
2. Hudson Hawk
3. Cabin Boy
4. Where the Buffalo Roam
5. Nothing but Trouble
6. Prince of Darkness

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks