What's new

Movies you hated the first time, but gave a second chance. (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
I hated Gosford Park the first time I saw it. Now I enjoy it. (I think it's because it takes a couple viewings to fully grasp all the different subplots)

Ditto on Rushmore.

I also didn't like The Royal Tenenbaums. I thought it wasn't funny at all. Now I love it.

Will this happen with the next Wes Anderson film? Heh, probably.

Ditto on The Usual Suspects and the first Austin Powers as well.

JasonBaz

Auditioning
"JFK"(1991) and The Insider

Both for similar reasons.

The first time I saw JFK was in the theater, thought it was good form and stupid content. Gave it a second try on DVD and it is easily one of my top ten. I think I concentrated on what was being presented and did not take it as entertainment...now I appreciate it for it's brilliance.

The Insider-Thought the message was way overblown and typical liberal brainwashing....then I gave it a shot as a film...utterly fantastic film making and acting.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
Mullholland Drive. I know...I never should have doubted lynch, but when i walked out of the theater the first time I was just like "what the hell was that". Now that i've seen it again and spent some time with it, i'd say it was the best film of the year.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I was very unimpressed with Starship Troopers the first time around. I thought it was just too heavy handed. Then I picked it up on dvd (twice now) and, little by little, it wore me down. I now officially love Starship Troopers! But not enough to buy the Superbit.
Strangely enough, i was the exact opposite on this one. I loved it in the theater, but watching it again at home usually seems to bore me throughout most of the movie and i find myself jumping to the "good" scenes.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I'm with you, Jason: JFK is, on cinematic terms, pretty much unbeatable, even if there are lots of what-if moments that many people mistaken for Stone's fantasy 'facts'. It's a mesmerizing film.

But, boy did I avoid for years.

Gordy

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
Moulin Rouge. I wasn't in the proper mood the first time, but now I own it and appreciate it's uniqueness.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
For me the two that come to mind are:

Red Planet
Mary Shelly's Frankenstein (Robert DeNiro)

It took me a few viewings to get to like these two.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
The Fifth Element. Saw it in the theater and absolutely hated it. Saw it years later on DVD and liked it so much I picked up the Superbit DVD. I know why I hated it the first time; the marketing campaign making it out to be the next Star Wars when it is fact just a silly, goofy, over-the-top action movie. Looking back, how can you not laugh when a former professional wrestler (Tiny Lister, known in the WWF as Macho Man's henchman Zeus in the '80s) as the President of the planet?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Eyes Wide Shut

Maybe it's because I was already a Kubrick fan, but I started to "get" what was going on and why only after the 2nd viewing.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Orlando. HATED it the first time. Thought it was utterly brilliant the 2nd.

Some films like Moulin Rouge hit me as "so so" the first time but just get BETTER and BETTER each time I watch.

I'll have to go home and look at my collection to add some more!

dave :)

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Can't believe I didn't think of this one right off:

LOST HIGHWAY

Now, I've disliked movies before but rarely have I actually out and out despised a film. The first time I saw David Lynch's Lost Highway I almost didn't make it through the whole thing. I'll sit through damn near anything once but this one almost had me up and out at the halfway point. I thought it was stupid, pretentious, nonsensical, pointless, vapid, insulting...you name it. I swore I'd never subject myself to it again.

But David Lynch will not be ignored. :)

The only explanation I can think of for my ill will toward this film is that I was going through a real low point in my life at the time and that infected my outlook (on everything). I just wasn't prepared to meet it half way.

After witnessing the brilliance of Mulholland Drive I give it another chance. What a difference! Now I'm pretty sure it's Lynch's best film (after the inimitable Eraserhead, of course).

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Die Another Day. After watching it in the theater, I thought that the only reason to buy the DVD would be to "have them all". I found it to be much less boring the second time around although I'm still clueless as to what made it more enjoyable.

There are a few others, but since the first time I saw them was on VHS or cable TV, I can't really count it as "movie viewing", so I'm not mentioning those here.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
The Mummy
Saw it in the theatres and thought it was laughable. Picked it up on DVD and have enjoyed the story ever since.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I mostly agree with your wife, that is assuming that the use of ‘hate’ is not hyperbole. There are some movies that I did not ‘get’ or appreciate on first viewing that I now rate very highly. But a movie that I hated, I would not give a second chance, unless it received very strong recommendations, backed by sound reasoning from people whose opinions I respect.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Once Upon A Time In America

I remember being bored to death watching it when it first came out on VHS. I picked up the DVD on a good deal and lots of recommendations (curse you Robert Harris!;) )

Thoroughly enjoyed the DVD, and will probably give it a second spin this weekend.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm sort of contemplating re-watching Irreversible (between the slits of my hands covering my eyes in some parts).

Al Stuart

Stunt Coordinator
The Frighteners, The Big Lebowski, Lost in America, Army of Darkness, Barton Fink, Zero Effect, Used Cars.

I even walked out on The Frighteners after 45 minutes. I think the lower expectations on video and DVD really help out. All of these movies have become personal favorites in one way or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks