Movies you hated/refused to watch, but then learned to love?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TimW, Jan 15, 2002.

1. TimW

TimW Agent

Have you ever either hated or avoided watching a movie because you associated it with someone you really didn't like, and then (after some time and distance) come back around to viewing the movie with newfound appreciation because the association between the person and the movie had grown stale?
    I've done this a couple times.
    One guy I knew (and didn't really like) went ballistic for Snatch and Guy Ritchie. I refused to watch it when it first came out cause I was so sick of him talking about it, throwing slang from the movie everywhere. I caught it last night on tv and liked it alot!
    I know it's a shallow thing, but it works in reverse too. Especially with relationships. (You used to love a movie when you were "together", but now can't stand it) [​IMG]
    Tim

2. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I remember first watching 2001: A Space Odyssey when I was about 13 and HATED it. But watching it more and more over the years has made me realise what a fool I was. This is easily one of the greatest in cinema history.

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I was apprehensive about watching Steel Magnolias for the first time as I generally avoid "chick flicks". Imagine my surprise when I found out what a damn good movie it is! Why the heck didn't this movie win the Oscar for best picture? It don't get no better than this...

Damn, where's my meds?

4. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Good poll! [​IMG]
    I avoided:
    The English Patient (Anthony Minghella)
    Good Will Hunting (Matt Damon)
    Cast Away (Tom Hanks)
    But all three turned out to be very enjoyable movies.

5. Derek S

Derek S Stunt Coordinator

i must have the sames friends, they would always say lines form Office Space, they were into rap i liked good music. i had no interest in seeing it....then after three years in a cubical i saw it.....and loved it....

Joy Ride was another (this is a hard poll cause i like everything) i was drug to this one by a buddy....all i have to say is steve zhan he made the movie for me.....

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    When my wife said "Let's go and see Hook", I was not too thrilled because I thought it would be a dumb fantasy piece of crap. After I saw it in the cinema, I kind of liked it. Later when I got the DVD, I loved it. It is a very inspirational kind of movie.

7. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

Moonstruck. My wife's all-time favorite movie. I thought it would be just another chick flick.

8. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

I absolutely positively refused to go see or watch "Baby Boy" until right around Thanksgiving, I think it was. It's not exactly perfect but it hit mark for me on several fronts. Granted, it's not for everyone but I sure enjoyed it.

I also grew to love 2001. I was only about 9 when I first saw it. I liked, (and still do) anything about space. Of course I didn't understand it then. Not sure I do now either, I appreciate it for what it is. It's the only Kubrick work I can stomach. I can't stand Eye Wide shut and I fail to see Clockwork Orange appeal.

9. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Using strictly the subject question, I would go with A Knight's Tale. I actually sat down in a theater to watch this one and walked out when the crowd at the initial joust started pounding the rail in time to Queen's We Will Rock You.
    But after all the positive feedback here at HTF I ended up buying it and have really come to like this film quite a bit. Go figure.

10. Liam S

Liam S Stunt Coordinator

This is Spinal Tap
    Often, I would see the video of it at the library while looking for movies, but I always thought, "Why would I want to watch a movie about that Spinal Tap band"? I guess after seeing that episode of The Simpsons with Spinal Tap, I thought they were a real band. A couple summers ago I watched the AFI funniest movies show and the scenes they showed from it had me gasping for air because I was laughing so hard. So, the next day I rented it, laughed my ass off, and then ordered the DVD.

11. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Almost Famous

12. ShawnF

ShawnF Stunt Coordinator

A League of Their Own

13. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

Almost Famous for me too; i initially avoided it because i didn't think i could relate to the time that the movie takes place in, but it turned out to be my favourite movie released that year.

14. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

My Fair Lady, a 3+ hour romantic musical was the movie I most dreaded when I did the AFI list several years ago. But Audrey and the music won me over and it's now one of my favorite musicals.

15. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Good Morning Veitnam. Did NOT want to see this. When visiting my best friend in BC she sugested we go see it. I have always been a sucker for her, and I could not stop laughing though the movie. I never forgave her for that [​IMG]

16. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

Elizabeth
    Shakespeare In Love
    Moulin Rouge

17. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

The Grinch[​IMG] ... See what I did there!

18. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Alien 3
    When this came out I heard tons of negative comments from friends, critics...God, mostly everyone in the country. After loving the first 2 films I purposely avoided seeing this in the theater as I wanted the Alien films to remain clean & unblemished in my mind. I also hated this film because I thought that it had killed off my favorite franchise. When I finally watched it 3 years later, I was surprised how much I liked this film. Probably the greatest instance of hating an unseen film then loving it in my life.
    Now Aliens Ressurection is another matter entirely...

19. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

The Grinch, I abhored the idea of the movie, but I shelled out a free rental for it. By the time I watched it, my expectations were.... well, I thought it was going to be the worst shit ever made. Come to find out I loved the damned thing if you can believe it.
    Fight Club, I was one of the many people who just thought it was a movie about fighting. Oh how wrong I was.
    Cast Away, HATED this is theaters. HATED it! Then I borrowed the DVD from my neighbor because I wanted to test my new sub on the plane crash. Then I eventually watched the whole movie again. I now love it very much.
    Now here comes the one I'm ASHAMED to say I was prejudiced against. ASHAMED!!!!!
    I was 7 during the Oscar awards of 94 and Jurassic Park was in the running against Schindler's List for Best Picture. I thought JP was the best movie ever made and that Speilberg was a genious. (but not for S.L.) For God's sake I was ONLY 7!!! I despised Schindler's List for "stealing" the award from Jurassic Park. I saw it one year later at the age of 8 and it hit me. It was the First movie that made me cry sincere tears over both the brutality and suffering of the human race. There was no question in my mind that it was MUCH better than Jurassic Park. It was the FILM that made me a movie lover. To this day I have only watched it 2 times and I still think it is every bit as good as the first time I saw it. The 3rd viewing will happen when Steven decides to release it on DVD.

20. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

Moulin Rouge.....only reason I watched it is because a very good friend who has similar tastes as I do said he enjoyed it. Watched it out of morbid curiosity and wound up loving it.