What's new

Movies you dont want to admit you havent seen (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i flipped out on someone when they told me they never saw the goonies. i was 7 years old when it came out, and at that age, it doesnt get any better than that. then i said i never saw the princess bride, i got a verbal whipping right back. suppose i deserved it. we all have them, movies you are afraid to admit to others you havent seen. lets hear em :)
CJ

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

So you're saying you are ashamed to admit you haven't seen Bones or Starship Troopers?

I've never seen Gone With the Wind, yet it anyone asks me I always say I've seen it and that it was good.

Troy_M

Stunt Coordinator
Terrell, read the topic for this thread again. This is for movies that you don't want people to know that you 'have not seen', not movies you don't want to admit you 'have seen'(i.e. Starship Troopers, Bones).

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
Gone With The Wind
Every Hitchcock movie besides Psycho
A Christmas Carol
It's A Wonderful Life (I've only seen parts)
Citizen Kane (Only seen 1st half. Wondered why everybody said it's the greatest film every made, couldn't figure it out, so I popped in Goodfellas side B and finished that instead)

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
Pretty much all movies pre-1950 except for Citizen Kane & Wonderful Life.
Shindler's List (have put it off the last 3 years awaiting DVD)
Amadeus
Ghandi
2 recent Star Wars (suppose I'm not afraid to admit this, though)
To Kill a Mockingbird

David Echo

Stunt Coordinator
In retrospect, Attack of tbe Clones was a movie I didn't want to admit not seeing! :D
Classics: many Billy Wilder, most Hitchcocks (including Psycho!), many Michael Curtiz, many Buster Keaton, SIGH - too many really. :frowning:
Modern: None really, I haven't seen a lot of new stuff but I'm quite proud of that actually. I prefer letting films age a bit before giving them a go. But how about No Man's Land, Aemelie, Rushmore.
Dave

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
You HAVEN'T seen Amelie, Rushmore and No Man's Land, or you have?
If not I can't recommend them highly enough. Amelie is a light comedy/romance delight, Rushmore is great DRY humor that ages well on repeat viewings and No Man's Land is an excellent and entertaining piece of anti-war film (or the craziness of war). All provide laughs so they aren't just "heavy" films that you need to be in the mood for.
Billy Wilder is definately worth pursuing. The more I got into his career, the more I was amazed. Some good range of genres too - Stalag 17, 7 Year Itch, Double Indemnity, for example.
Hey, one good thing for all you guys, you have a lot of good films ahead of you. :D

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Pete, you're not alone. I haven't seen Schindler's List either. It and The Lost World: Jurassic Park are the only Spielberg theatrical films I haven't seen.
Speaking of Best Picture winners, I also haven't seen:
Braveheart, Unforgiven, Platoon, A Man For All Seasons, Tom Jones, Gigi, The Apartment, Around The World in 80 Days, The Greatest Show On Earth, All The King's Men, Hamlet (1948), Mrs. Miniver, or any of them before 1938 with the exception of It Happened One Night and Wings. Of the ones I haven't seen, the only one I really, REALLY want to see is The Apartment. The rest I'll get to eventually. (SL whenever it comes out on DVD). If I'd written this yesterday I could have listed How Green Was My Valley, but I just saw it on AMC (funny how this won over Citizen Kane and The Maltese Falcon).
Other popular or critically acclaimed movies:
Pretty Woman, JFK, The Piano, Il Postino, Philadelphia, A Few Good Men, Scent of A Woman, Beauty and the Beast (Disney), The Searchers, The Wild Bunch, Mean Streets (those last 3 I'm REALLY ashamed of), The 400 Blows (ditto, but I do own the DVD! I just haven't watched it yet).
Sigh, way too many.
Any Woody Allen after 1987's Radio Days, with the exception of Sweet and Lowdown (which I couldn't not see, because of Sean Penn and Samantha Morton).
I've never seen an Adam Sandler, Tom Green, Chris Farley or Earnest movie, but I'm not ashamed to admit it. PT Anderson will get me to break my Sandler streak in December.
Regarding the OP, I haven't seen The Goonies either, but now that I know that Sean Astin is in it, I'll have to check it out at some point.

matt bee

Stunt Coordinator
Christ,

I just went through that same scenario with The Goonies. I've seen that show many times and love it. I asked a friend about it and he'd never seen it. I always thought most everybody has seen that. Then I started asking quite a few people if they had seen it and many had never even heard of the movie. I was shocked.

As far as movies I haven't seen:
Schindlers List
Any of the Godfather movies

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
There are plenty of great movies I have not seen (I even own a few - and they are there...waiting)! Which makes the fact that I have seen Tomb Raider and ID4 (more than once :frowning: ) heartbreaking. But as Seth said, I know there's good stuff in the future.
I think NOT seeing classic films is like hoarding the goodies. When Hollywood runs (or is that RAN) out of good ideas, we'll have a stash of great cinema left:) The rest of you early classics adopters are screwed!!
I am seeing what I want, and catching up on good oldies over time.
Take care,
Chuck

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I just went through that same scenario with The Goonies. I've seen that show many times and love it. I asked a friend about it and he'd never seen it. I always thought most everybody has seen that. Then I started asking quite a few people if they had seen it and many had never even heard of the movie. I was shocked.
it seems there are quite a few people around my age who havent seen the goonies, very sad :eek:
i'd like to add the breakfast club, braveheart, and lord of the rings.
CJ

ollie_k

Stunt Coordinator
Never seen Its a wonderful life or Gone with the wind, dont know why either. One night I think I tuned into the middle of wonderful life and got bored with it and moved on.

Lets see..there are tons more...uhhh
Psycho (and most other Hitchcock movies), The Graduate, I know there are more in there somewhere.

Hmmm, I tend to miss a lot of movies and then forget about them. Im a busy guy I guess.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
There are too many to mention (mostly classic titles - made before I was born), but the ones I will mention are the ones that appear to be HTF members' favorites.
Princess Bride
Say Anything
&
Office Space (ducks to avoid object launched by Seth :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.