What's new

Movies with Woman superheroes... (1 Viewer)

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
My five year old daughter not unreasonably asked to watch a movie (or clips) of a DVD with a woman superhero. Does anyone have any good ideas?

I tried some of the opening of Lara Croft, but would like to find a super woman or wonder woman type film. More classic, more for the younger set. Amazon reveals nothing under super or wonder woman in DVDs. Attack of the 50 ft woman isn't quite right... Got all the Powerpuffs...

Anyone?

Thanks! Dan

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
For Wonder Woman, I think Sci-Fi channel still shows the TV show on a regular basis.
X-Men has Rogue, Storm and Jean Grey in their ranks.
There's the movie Supergirl. I didn't care for it, but then again, I'm not 5. :)

Rob T

Screenwriter
Wonder Woman is slowly coming along. Still in pre-production. :frowning:
All the others have been listed.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
There are a lot of “Anime” movies with strong female leads. I’m not familiar with any that would be suitable for a 5-year old, however.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Well, cable is out, since I don't have it...,

And Powerpuffs I have...

X-men, I have and will recheck for family values...

And Anime sounds unlikely, tho I have some titles (which I wouldn't show to my daughter as yet)

And, if the comment 'all the others have been listed' is correct, then that is depressing. How should we inspire our daughters to be brave, to save people, to not be only victims but also saviors...

I can't stand Barbie as a role model, and I want more! I want my daughter wanting to save the earth, etc!

Dan

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Hey, it's been awhile since I've seen it, but I don't remember anything too objectionable about the Anime classic, Project A-Ko (sp?). It's actually a rather funny anime about this girl with amazing powers...you find out why she has these powers at the end.
Like I said, it's been quite a while since I've seen it, so you may want to check it out before showing it to your little one...
Good stuff, though, if memory serves.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I doubt these are appropriate for young kids, but maybe a few pre-screened sequences could be fun:
Charlie's Angels
Sheena
Aliens
X-Men
Supergirl
Or see if you can dig up some episodes of the live-action version of The Tick! :laugh:
Sorry I couldn't be more help, but female superheroes have gotten a raw deal thus far, movie-wise and elsewhere!

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
ghost in the shell.
resident evil.
final fantasy.

not suitable for kids, but they featured strong female leads.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
I'm not saying anything about age appropriate (as I never do, parents should decide what their kids can and can't watch), merely giving a few of my favorite films with strong female roles with an action orient:
Terminator / Terminator 2 - Linda Hamilton's Sarah Connor is a very definition of "TOUGH", particularly in the second film.
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Michelle Yeoh's Yu Shu Lien is extremely strong and very capable, and her character arc is both action and dramatic.
Aliens - Sigorney Weaver's Ellen Ripley is extremely assertive and determined, and truly is the hero that saves a very very screwed up situation.
Firestarter - Drew Barrymore as Charlie McGee in a thriller role, not an action/superhero, but she does appear as a child here and perhaps that helps in this question. She arcs into a very assertive character.
Leon: The Professional - Natalie Portman as Mathilda, again a child role, who spends the entire movie maturing at light speed compared to how long most children take
Matrix - Carrie-Anne Moss as Trinity is extremely strong and totally badassed, and serves in a command role. She also gets the guy in the end! ;)
Miss Congeniality - Sandra Bullock as Gracie Hart, very assertive and capable, doesn't take crap from anyone. She's even an FBI Agent, surely a positive movie role model for girls?
The Mummy Returns - Rachel Weiss as Evelyn O'Connell, very assertive and able to take care of herself and her own. Plus she's got ties to Ancient Egypt and can read more languages than I can even list.
Showgirls - okay had you going there, this is unrelated and is basically B-Movie crap! ;)
Plus there were already mentions of X-Men and Supergirl. Not sure how many of these are suitable for a five year old, but maybe with some judicious muting or fastforwarding more than I think might apply. If not now perhaps in a few years, though I know a five year old has NO ability to be patient for even a few minutes, much less years! :D

bruce townley

Stunt Coordinator
You know, my three-year-old watches Justice League over and over (and over). While she primarily identifies with Superman, it does have co-lead roles with Wonder Woman and Hawk Girl.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
HEROIC TRIO while an excellent film probably wouldn't be best for a 5 year old. When my child is 5 I will probably let them watch it, though. I'll have to explain why some guy eats his own finger and why some children are killed.

Matt

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Err... Here are some "anime" recommendations for those who are interested.
Here's a list a child of any age (IMO) could watch...
Studio Ghibli stuff is usually the best, but there is a dearth of titles since Disney is sitting on the licenses. :angry:
1. My Neighbor Totoro - released as a good dub by Fox, this is a great title where the characters are two NORMAL little girls. No superheroes, but perfectly suited for a child of any age. Only Available VHS
2. Kiki's Delivery Service - The coming of age story that even adults will enjoy! Meet Kiki and her cat Gigi as they try to make it as a witch in training. VHS only.
3. Panda-Go-Panda -
Another show that is worth screening is this little charming story of a little girl and her wacky imaginative pandas. DVD available.
4. Castle of Cagliostro - More an adventure caper but with deft characterization - especially the females. Great fun for everyone, and ... NO MUSICAL NUMBERS ala Disney! Available on DVD.
Other shows that are good:
5. Sailor Moon (Edited for US TV)
Other shows that may or may not be appropriate for little girls:
6. Magic Users Club 1-7 - A light hearted TV series with some really cute and down to earth characters. Only problem is that one of the upperclassman has a "perverted" imagination, so parents should screen it before showing it to the little ones.
7. Magic Knights Rayearth Seasons 1 and 2 - Think of this as a magical girl show set up like an role playing game. Each of the three girls (middle school) learn a new power and master it in their quest to defeat... (well, it's not who or what you think).
That's all I can think of at the moment. As a important note, any parent wondering what to show their children should try this resource... Called a "Parent's Guide to Anime" the site has recommendations divided into G, PG and M and from the titles I have seen in their list are a very good introduction to anime...
http://www.abcb.com/parents/index.htm
Try this site - it may help... ;)

JessV

Agent
The Labyrinth has a strong, young female lead. She's kinda spoilt in the beginning, but she changes.
Mulan, The Secret of Nimh, and Ever After also have pretty strong leads too. None of these are really superheroes though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks