Movies with multiple titles (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Plenty of foreign horror movies had U.S. retitlings. Dario Argento has a few:

Tenebrae was renamed Unsane
Phenomena
was renamed Creepers

and my personal favorite is:
Opera was renamed Terror At The Opera (presumably so some old lady didn't accidentally rent the movie looking for Puccini or something).

The cut of Dawn Of The Dead for the Italian market is known as Zombi.

Joe Wong

Screenwriter
For me, the original title should remain as the original title. So, for example, I know Star Wars (1977) as Star Wars, not Star Wars: Ep 4: A New Hope. (As an aside, this speaks to how George Lucas didn't really have a 9-film arc mapped out.) Though I understand it may be easier to refer to when discussing (kind of like how many refer to a film like Jaws as Jaws 1, even though such a title doesn't exist, to distinguish it vs the sequels).

More egregious to me is the change of Raiders of the Lost Ark to Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (IMDB calls it as such). It changes what the title meant to me when it was first released. Indiana Jones, himself, is one of the "raiders". By adding his name in front, it separates him from the Nazis, who are now the raiders (and the connotation of greed it conveys). It's similar to how the change to "Greedo shoots first" in Star Wars likely affects a viewer's initial impression of Han Solo.

Then there are the many title changes for different markets around the world. I understand the practice, for marketing purposes or to appeal to different tastes. As mentioned earlier, Mad Max 2 is The Road Warrior here in the US (due to the lack of familiarity with the original Mad Max). In another example, Adventures in Babysitting (the Elizabeth Shue comedy from 1987) was called A Night on the Town in Australia (and some other countries).

But some title changes make less sense. Evil Angels (1988) starring Meryl Streep, is a perfect metaphor for what happens in the film, but was changed to the more literal A Cry in the Dark for US release. Maybe the marketing team thought US audiences would think it was a horror story? Oh, well.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm not sure that was an official retitle, but just the film's tagline being emphasized on the home video packaging as it provided a better explanation of the film than the cryptic Edge of Tomorrow.

It definitely wasn't an official retitle. The on-screen title was still Edge of Tomorrow. Maybe they emphasized the "retitle" on the packaging because "Edge of Tomorrow" sounds like a soap opera...

On edit: I see Jake already made the first point, and Howie, the second.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
"Final" means very little to Hollywood. There have been numerous "final" installments that were not.

Almost as many as there have been final concerts by retiring bands. It occurs to me to wonder if Fairport Convention still does their annual farewell concert in Cropredy.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
ANGEL, ANGEL, DOWN WE GO (1969) from American-International became CULT OF THE DAMNED.

A list of retitled films from Sam Sherman's Independent-International Pictures would take a lot of time to compile.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
More from AIP: UP IN THE CELLAR (1970) became THREE IN THE CELLAR to trade off on the popularity of THREE IN THE ATTIC. I saw both on a drive-in double bill.

sleroi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I remember watching the original Inglorious Bastards 3 or 4 times on HBO back in 82 or 83. A few years later when we finally got a VCR I kept looking for it to rent but could never find it.
Turns out the title had been changed to G.I. Bro.

Thankfulky though when Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds came out the original was also released on Blu-Ray.

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
1956's The Friendly Persuasion was changed to Friendly Persuasion. To me, the word "The" is actually better.

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Robert Harris recommended the 4K UHD of Fanny Lye Deliver'd just the other day

280515_front.jpg

The film has not yet been released in the USA and, obviously, a film with "Fanny" in the title might give the wrong idea in certain states. So they're going to call it The Delivered Stateside.

rdimucci

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
1956's The Friendly Persuasion was changed to Friendly Persuasion. To me, the word "The" is actually better.
Well, "The Friendly Persuasion" was the name of Jessamyn West's book, but the film was never released with any title other than "Friendly Persuasion." During pre-production, the film briefly had the working title of Mr. Birdwell Goes to Battle.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

View attachment 97329

The film has not yet been released in the USA and, obviously, a film with "Fanny" in the title might give the wrong idea in certain states. So they're going to call it The Delivered Stateside.

I'm pretty sure Fanny can be misconstrued in all states (and in provinces where they allow humour eh?) :D!

rdimucci

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone became Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in the U.S. Of course, the book had had its title changed first.

The Americanization of Emily (1964) was shortened to just Emily for its 1967 re-release.

After Julie Andrews' Star! (1968) flopped, Fox pulled it from release, cut it by 35 minutes and re-released it in 1969 as Those Were the Happy Times.

Laurel and Hardy's Babes in Toyland (1934) was re-released as March of the Wooden Soldiers.

Fred Zinneman's The Men (1950) was reissued in 1957 as Battle Stripe.

Much confusion has been caused by the fact that the English-language titles for Bruce Lee's early films were renamed in the U.S.
- The Big Boss was renamed Fists of Fury
- Fist of Fury was renamed The Chinese Connection
- The Way of the Dragon became Return of the Dragon

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

View attachment 97329

"Fanny" has a naughtier connotation in the UK than in the US, though.

Here it means butt, whereas in the UK it means female privates.

Maybe they changed the name more because it's awkward than because of various connotations?

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Dollars (1971) with Warren Beatty and Goldie Hawn is also known as "$" and "The Heist" in the UK. I hope this great film gets released on Blu-ray soon.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
"Fanny" has a naughtier connotation in the UK than in the US, though.

Here it means butt, whereas in the UK it means female privates.

Maybe they changed the name more because it's awkward than because of various connotations?
Don't confuse me with UK terms. I'm still working on "hand me a rubber" and "I'll knock you up". :D

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members