What's new

Movies with great endings? (1 Viewer)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I am looking for some good/great movies with great endings to rent, does anyone have suggestions? I would like to see a movie with a great twist.
I have seen off the top of my head...
The Game
The Usual Suspects
No Way Out
Seven
Shawshank Redemption
Memento
Any others? Thanks.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Scanners has a great twist ending...
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Thanks guys, looks like I have some movies to rent.
I have seen Wild Things(cool flick Bill Murray was great also). Body Heat sounds familiar but I don't remember.
I haven't seen Scanners, Deterence or Entrapment
I have seen Fight Club also btw.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
*****************SPOILER**************
I would say one of the more crazy and unforgetable endings I have seen lately would be the "surprise" ending to Dario Argento's PHENOMENA....I mean come on, a strait razor wielding chimpanzee saves the day......I'm still amazed at the balls it took to pull something as off the wall as that.
------------------
-Kevin M.
"Have a good time all the time........that's my philosophy, Marty."

Will K

Screenwriter
If not the best ending ever, certainly the most explosive is in The Fury, where Amy Irving...
Spoiler:uses her psychokinesis to make the bad guy completely explode...ALL OVER THE PLACE...Spectacular!
------------------
My Scary DVD Collection

Gary_E

Second Unit
Although it's on DVD but not in it's OAR, THE STING has one of the best endings I've ever seen.
-Gary

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Dark City is an excellent movie and has a great ending, highly recommended. L.A. Confidential has a pretty good ending and is also an all around great movie. Run Lola Run doesn't really have a twist, but very entertaining (it will have you going huh about a 1/3 of the way through). "Go" is also worth a watch. I'll also recommend the directors cut of Abyss (almost a completely different movie from the non directors cut).
Even if you've seen them, watch Shawshank and Pulp Fiction again (two of my favorite movies).
I'll have to disaggree with Glenn though on Deterrence. Does have a twist at the end but it's an aweful one. The lesson in the movie only has to be learnt once, since it follows the same history we have, the lesson was already learnt a long time ago. I expected a lot more, something original from it based on the back of the box and the setup, but was sorely let down.
------------------
Dustin
[email protected]
My Adire Tempest Sonosub

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
American Beauty.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
If you can find it at local theaters (it only got a very limited release), check out Happy Accidents. It does have a twist, but mostly it's an amazing example of everything in the movie building up to that point and tying together in unforseen ways.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Sorry about posting in the wrong forum. I just found out about the Polls section...
The directors cut of "The Abyss" is that diffrent?
I haven't even heard of most of these movies, thanks fellas.
L.A Confidential is a great movie
Has anyone seen Primal Fear? I am sure you guys have but I just remembered that one and it rocked!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
There is an extra 30 min of footage that is dispersed through out the film. It's hard to explain, but even though the very end is the same in both, how you get there in the directors cut just makes it feel different. Different better that is.
------------------
Dustin
[email protected]
My Adire Tempest Sonosub

Stephen_M

Agent
Young Frankenstein
Diggstown - a real doozy
Silence of the Lambs
The Fury
Carrie - still the biggest jolt I ever had along with the loudest scream I have ever heard in a theater
Wild Things is the best in recent years - what a treat to have an entire movie twist and turn during the end credits.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Two that come to mind: Hoffa and Intimate Relations.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I think that No Way Out had a horrible ending. I thought it ruined the whole movie, it was so absurd.
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned The Sixth Sense. One of the best endings in a movie ever!
I also think the ending of Taxi Driver is fantastic!

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Rob, Taxi Driver did have an epic climax.
The Sixth Sense had a great ending but I knew the ending before I saw it
frown.gif

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Being a Brian De Palma fan, I'd have to echo the recommendation for Carrie's ending. Also, Dressed to Kill has one hell of an ending. I have yet to see The Fury though. I own it on VHS and everytime I watch it, I get about halfway through it, and something comes up and I never finish it. You all have me really curious about the ending, so I will watch it tomorrow, mark my words. De Palma rules.
If you're a John Carpenter fan, you can't go wrong with the endings of The Thing, Escape From New York, Halloween, In the Mouth of Madness, and of course, They Live (the ending to this one puts a smile on my face every time.) :)
Phenomena had a cool ending, but I'd have to say my favorite Dario Argento twist ending came in Tenebre. Now I didn't see that one coming at all!
If you want the BEST horror film ending, possibly of all time, track down a little Canadian slasher movie called Black Christmas. This movie and it's ending really stay with you long after you watch it. Excellent stuff.
Oh, and along the same lines with horror films, probably the second greatest horror film ending of all time (just because it's so damn SHOCKING) would have to go to Sleepaway Camp. A wild ending all the way down to the very final SHOT. I KNOW you won't see that one coming!
Just thought of another great slasher movie ending...some of the most creative horror film endings come from slasher movies, I've noticed...Happy Birthday to Me. Not the greatest slasher movie in the world in it's MPAA edited, R-Rated form, but definitely a "what the hell?" kind of ending that makes the film quite cool. Hunt it down on VHS if you can, as it's not out on DVD.
Hope I've been of some help!
[Edited last by Wes Ray on September 20, 2001 at 02:13 AM]

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Movies with great/good endings:
1. Seven: Brad Pitt finally lives up to the schmuck that he is.
2. 15 Minutes: P Hat and all dat.
3. Sling Blade: that poor feller sacrificing his freedom.
4. Boys don't cry: gettin' what they deserve.
5. Unbreakable: too cool.
6. Hannibal: kids don't care what they eat.
7. Contact: nothing like a 360 at the very end.
8. Mission to Mars: Hey, I would've done that.
9. American Psycho: Just like the book.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
2001 A Space Odyssey(My favorite)
Requiem For A Dream
Platoon
The Shining
Glory
Dr Strangelove
Unforgiven
The Fog
The Usual Suspects
Memento
The Bear
Conan The Barbarian
Seven Samurai
Gattaca
Halloween
The Way Of The Gun
The Godfather
The Wild Bunch
Hannibal
Shawshank Redemption
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Re-Animator
Psycho
Robocop
Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back(When they went door to door beating up everyone who shit on them on the net and loved the Magnolia joke)
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks