Movies to demo subwoofers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Mullin, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

The other day I was browsing the SVS web site and I found a page that listed movies which were considered good for subwoofer demos. Each movie listed the actual times that the best subwoofer events occurred. For some reason I cannot find this link again, can anyone help?

- Bill

2. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm
    There you go....just scroll down to question #10....by the way, my vote for great bass demo flick is Blade II....it will knock your socks off (assuming you have an SVS....otherwise no promises [​IMG]

3. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Blade II is definitely a bass heavy flick but We Were Soldiers is even better IMHO. Continuous heavy and powerful bass. SPR has it's moments too.

5. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Might want to give Lord of the Rings a try, gives new meaning to low frequency effects in home theater.

Darren

6. Doug_NHT

Doug_NHT Stunt Coordinator

LOTR has to be the movie with the best audio ever. When Sauron implodes/explodes after his ring his hacked off, the bass is just unbelievable. 2 NHT sub2i subs to thank for that.

7. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Definitely LOTR, also T2 DTS, the one in the silver box. The begining scences have some really low bass explosions.

8. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

Monsters Inc is impressive also. Excellent overall effects track.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  10. Gregory S

Gregory S Stunt Coordinator

Bill,

When I was auditioning subs I mainly listened to music CDs that I brought with me. Of course it's very difficult to audition a sub at the stores because they're probably not setup to sound the best unless its a very high-end shop. I think most of them just plop 'em down where ever theres room.

Anyway once I find a sub that does bass guitar really well (pitch definition, etc. - Stevie Ray Vaughan has nice bass lines) then I listen for shear power and dynamics. If it doesn't do music well then all it's doing with movies is putting out bloated, uncontrolled and potentially, "Johnny one-note bass" - just sort of rumbling. I ended up with a demo M&K MX-80 subwoofer,about 7 or so years ago - great sound and dynamics in my 18'x20' family room. The house shakes when it's suspposed too.

As far as movies go for good woofage:
    Monsters Inc.
    Jurassic Park
    U571
    Star Wars, TPM

Greg