What's new

movies to ask Warner for in chat? (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Something that may need a reminder - Warner Music is not actually owned by Warner Bros. anymore. While Time Warner holds a minority interest, the entire recording company is owned by a third party led by former Seagram's (and Universal Studios) president Edgar Bronfman.

That means things like the Neil Young and Paul Simon concerts would be under Rhino's domain, not Warner Home Video.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I'm surprised there hasn't been a SE release for We Are Marshall, especially since this was a top seller and rental for them the week of release. Incredible sports film that I had read it was originally planned to be a 2-disc, so I wonder what happened. This would be the first on my list I would ask Warner.

Here’s what I would like to see for a special edition:

Original theatrical trailer (ported over from 1-disc)
Audio Commentary with director McG, writer/co-producer Jamie Linde, writer Cory Helms, and actors Matthew McConaughey and Matthew Fox
Recreating Marshall featurette - including interviews/behind-the-scenes footage (not EPK) with the film's entire cast and crew
The Music of Marshall featurette – interview with composer Christophe Beck on the film’s memorable score, along with the film’s use of classic rock music
The True Story of Marshall featurette - interviews with the real people
Deleted Scenes (?) with optional commentary by director McG
West Virginia Tourism Ad – featured several of the film’s cast and the governor of West Virginia (ported over from 1-disc)
Legendary Coaches: How Coaches Overcome Adversity (ported over from 1-disc)
Marshall Now (ported over from 1-disc)
TV Spots
Isolated Score for "Theme from 'We Are Marshall'"

FrancisP

Screenwriter

That kind of disturbs me. Hopefully that does not mean anything. There have been many changes in the industry and they have not been kind for people who want to see something other than the latest blockbuster on dvd. Those changes have taken place at Warner as well.

Apparently Warner's decision to go bluray only was brought about because of changes in personnel. The old regime supported both but the new regime was more than willing to take payoffs from Sony and to lie and cheat their customers.

Warner's tv division has pretty much ignored its classic catalog. By far, the best Warner classic tv title was The Man From UNCLE. The only trouble is that Warner licensed it. The only reason for that was likely the legal issues concerning ownership of dvd rights. If not for that, UNCLE would likely be rotting in Warner's vault with the rest of their classic titles.

I hope that Warner's movie divison will not get caught up in the mediocracy
that the rest of Warner's divisions, and most of the major studios' division practice.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps Warner Bros. decided not to participate because there were too many posts saying that Warner Bros said something was going to be released at a certain time and then it wasn't. People on this board and elsewhere were critical of the 85th Anniversary announcements saying it included almost nothing that hadn't already been leaked. What I want and maybe others too is a list of what is being released in the next six months to a year with the list of all the extras. At this point I think Warners knows what the people on this board want released. I sure it is a matter of what elements exist and if they feel there is enough demand to make a DVD and/or blu-ray financially successful. All that said I hope they release the long promised 3 movie Complete Showboat boxset.

Corey

Screenwriter
-When will be getting the Harlow and Spencer Tracy collection??

-Will there still be 2 Forbidden Hollywood releases per year

-Any news on a collection for June Allyson and Esther Williams Vol. 2

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm really just interested in knowing how the work on their silents is coming along. WB always has cool titles in the pipleline, but I'm itching to see stuff like Greed, The Crowd, and The Big Parade.

Also, I'm hoping they don't go with a chronological Tom & Jerry set, but rather chronological or mixed MGM sets. I prefer the variety of the Looney Tunes sets. Besides, it'll be neat to have a lot of different cartoons in one set: Happy Harmonies, T&J, Tex Avery, etc. It would only take 6 4-disc volumes to get all the MGM cartoons on DVD, anyways.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Rather than a chat it would be nice if we had a thread like this in which we list off titles and specific queries, have the mods close and sticky it at the top of the forum and giving admin status to let the WHV staff pick through it and offer "yes", "no", "in the works", "eventually coming", etc. responses with brief explanations where warranted and than post a promotional list of titles to look out for in the forthcoming year.

That's basically what we get from the chats anyway, it'd be just as informative and satisfactory to me and a lot simpler to coordinate.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

It's a good idea, but if WB is not going to accept our invite to do
a chat, I doubt they'll opt to do this instead. Trust me, they are
reading this thread and if they want to get involved they will contact
us.

We certainly look forward to having WB involved in doing some
online event with us. They are great people!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

I don't doubt it!

One last comment which I'll direct to the undercover studio infiltrators lurking in the shadows of HTF, is that in my humble opinion, not every classic film necessitates an accompanying box set or major actor-director-themed promotion. There would not only be room, but likely favorable reception in issuing more standard priced individual releases between the big actor/genre sets and monthly special editions. Please consider putting out more singles like the long overdue Technicolor epic, NORTHWEST PASSAGE, from the larger-than-life Cecille B. DeMille. All that's needed is a competent transfer and accompanying trailer. Of course, nobody would complain if a vintage short or bonus cartoon found it's way onto the disc! Please consider.

And please do something with your Robert Taylor films!

And please continue to lobby for the MGM cartoons to be carried over to the more befitting classics division where hopefully the Tom and Jerry films can be reclaimed along with the rest of the unreleased animation library.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

I don't care how they do it, just as long as it's transferred progressively, unedited and out there, made available to purchase!

Personally, I prefer a chronological structure as it gives viewers a better sense of development of each film unit's writing, art, design, style, characters, etc. But I would just as soon welcome a complete collection of the studio's classic shorts. Perhaps they could offer a menu option in which viewers (if they so chose) could select to watch only the included Happy Harmony, Barney Bear, Tom & Jerry, and so on. As much as I'm a fan of all of the studio's animation output, I just think that the MGM Tom and Jerry cartoons along with the Tex Avery directed shorts are in a league of their own and very separate and distinct productions in contrast to the earlier MGM cartoon library. Again, just as long as they're available in comprehensive and fitting packages, I'll buy 'em!

If I had my choice though, I'd prefer to see a complete box set of just the Tex Avery cartoons (yes, including all the Droopy shorts already released) and in the bonus menu, the few extra Michael Lah cartoons. I would hope this would be uncensored and brought to DVD without the use of DVNR! I would also love to see a second complete box set of just the MGM Tom and Jerry films. Hopefully remastered from their current state and in uncut/undubbed presentation, offered chronologically. Finally, a 3rd collection of the early years of the studios output which would offer (similar to the Universal Woody Woodpecker sets) a menu screen split up into A. Happy Harmony - B. Captain and The Kids - C. Barney Bear. Each again, presented like the Woody Woodpecker sets, chronologically. This way you have both a mixed bag of the studio's history but also a very comprehensive overview of the productions. It would only require a few box sets and certainly no more discs or costs than what you've proposed Patrick. Also, I imagine both Tom and Jerry and Tex Avery would be a cinch to market, especially if done with care and class. Certainly easier than an MGM "All-Stars" type of package. So that only leaves the Happy Harmonies, etc. which would require a different approach to sell, primarily consumers would be people like ourselves along with older generations and classic movie fans.

Dan1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I think it's in WHV's interest to respond in some way. Many of titles inquired about here are not mass market titles. What better way to reach the niche market buyer than through this board and others like it. Even something as simple as a press release on their website detailing the DVD release status of 2008 and 2009 announced titles would be helpful.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I hope they are planning good anamorphic versions of:

Cabaret
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981)
The Man Who Would Be King
Far From The Madding Crowd
Guilty By Suspicion

Those would keep me happy.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Waterloo Bridge (40)
Three Comrades (38)
Holiday Affair (49)
The Constant Nymph (43) I can dream, can't I? :)
Merry Andrew (58)
The Voice of the Turtle (47)
The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34)
Blossoms in the Dust (41)
Backfire (50)
The Bride Wore Red (37)
Jean Harlow movies
and of course any and all musicals :)

Corey

Screenwriter
-Will we be seeing Ida Lupino films such as The Man I Love, The Hard Way, Devotion, and Out of the Fog

-Born to Be Bad with Joan Fontaine

-Have they reconsidered doing a Hedy Lamarr collection??

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I'd like to know what happend to The Picture of Dorain Gray release that Warner said was coming a year or so ago.

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
I'd like to ask them why the hell the DVD of Road Warrior is still not out yet! (I know, I know, its coming soon).

And also--Badlands. Why is Terrence Malick's best film still not treated with the grace it deserves? Its really hard to find the existing DVD as it is, but the existing DVD isn't any good anyway and this is such a terrific, terrific film. I wish Criterion would pick this up like they did with Days of Heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks