What's new

Movies That You're Glad Won Best Picture (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Sorry if we've had ths thread, but after seeing all the "movies that shouldn't have won" threads, I felt compelled to start this thread...
I'm glad Braveheart, Schindler's List, Godfather, and Godfather II won.
How bout you guys?

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
There are a lot the won that I am glad one, so I won't list all of those. However, the movie that won that I was a little surprised (but happy about) was The Silence Of The Lambs. It just wasn't like the academy to award this type of movie with Best Picture honors. I was glad to see that the Academy was finally changing!

Dave L

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if "glad" is the term I would use, but I would say that I certainly "approve" or "agree with" some:

Wings, It Happened One Night, Mutiny on the Bounty, Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, The Best Years of Our Lives, All About Eve, From Here to Eternity, On the Waterfront, West Side Story, Lawrence of Arabia, The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, Platoon, The Last Emperor, The English Patient, and, yes, Titanic.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Gone With the Wind

Casablanca

The Best Years of Our Lives

The Sound of Music

A Man for All Seasons

The Godfather

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Annie Hall

Platoon

Dances With Wolves

The Silence of the Lambs

Schindler's List

American Beauty

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Lawrence of Arabia

Schindler's List

Platoon

The Godfather

The Godfathe Part II

Janna S

Second Unit
Scott - there are two people in that universe. Shakespeare in Love was a wondrous win, in my mind.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm glad The English Patient won. Now where's that dvd SE we've been hearing about?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
There has not been a movie that won best picture that got me as excited as when Annie Hall won (and there probably never will be).

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I might be wrong, but I thought the Godfather didnt win Best Picture. Godfather 2 did, but not the first one.

Schindlers List definitely comes to mind.Also Platoon, Dances With Wolves,and Amadeus.

rhett

Supporting Actor
The Godfather won best Picture but never won Best Director, Bob Fosse won for Cabaret instead of Coppola.

rhett

Supporting Actor
I was glad The Deer Hunter, Dances With Wolves, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, On The Waterfront, From Here To Eternity, Titanic and Shakespeare in Love won. Since I wasn't alive for half of them, my favorite had to have been Shakespeare, because I thought Saving Private Ryan was way over hyped, but I was glad Spielberg got the Director honors. I thought the better war film was the poorly received The Thin Red Line. It was also a treat to see the Academy give an Oscar to a non-epic, small budgetted film.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I was really happy when Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon won Bes... Oh wait, it didn't. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks