Movies that give great first impressions, but...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dome Vongvises, Sep 29, 2001.

1. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I did poll threads earlier about movies that gave you the worst/best first impression. Now I want to reverse field and do a poll about the movies that initially gave you a great first impression, but soon went down the toilet the more you thought about it. My first pick so far would be:
    The Blair Witch Project
    - I liked it for being innovative, and the atomsphere of the movie was good, but the suspension of disbelief just overwhelmed me too much. After the disappearance of one of the friends, they just kept filming, and filming, and filming...
    ------------------
    "I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
    My DVD Collection

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Star Trek: The Voyage Home for me had that effect. I used to like it but after a few viewings, I find it rather boring and the fly-around of the sun sequence is.... words just can't describe it.
    orangeman
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1
    ------------------

3. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Final Fantasy
    My wife and I were so excited to see this movie, but when we saw it... It was a real let down. When we got into the car we asked each other, "What the hell was that movie about?" I still don't know what this movie was about. Great CGI, but that doesn't make a movie.
    edited to say: I think this isn't what the thread was supposed to be about, but it did give me a great first impression and was lame after we thought about it.
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
    [Edited last by Brad_W on September 29, 2001 at 09:57 AM]

4. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Jurassic Park -- enjoyed it immensely the first time, but every viewing since has been sheer torture.
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Enemy at the Gates .... Loved it in the theatre, couldn't stay awake at home.
    LL cool B

6. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    The Sixth Sense - Once you know the surprise, there isn't much else going on. It's merely an exercise in tricking the audience, however, a movie needs more than a plot twist to make it good.
    ------------------
    As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace

7. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Men In Black, definitely. It's still good to watch but I remember coming out of the cinema and wanting to own it there and then. I bought it the day it came out (VHS back then) and it just wasn't the same.

8. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Hollow Man
    I have no clue why I forgot to mention this. I liked it a lot for the special effects work and the gore. But when I finally realized how cliched it was and how the villain wasn't likeable at all, the movie just got worst and worst.
    ------------------
    "I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
    My DVD Collection