What's new

movies that deal with art / artists? (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
MY LEFT FOOT -- the story of artist and painter Christy Brown, who could only control the muscles in his left foot, and so he used that foot to paint, write, and communicate.

WillardK

Second Unit
eek... I can't think of a film about a painter that I genuinely like other than Derek Jarman's Carravagio. If you liked Frida, you might also like Goya (I like neither (save Frida's animation from Brothers Quay), but both use set design and effects to make surreal connections between the art and biography)

So many... how about women authors?

My Brilliant Career
An Angel at My Table
The Hours
Iris
and I don't think anyone mentioned Ken Russell's Gothic

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Is this limited to historical biogrpahy, or any film dealing with the arts regardless of a biographical basis?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Girl with a Pearl Earring is about Johannes Vermeer's famous painting of the same name. It's a "what might the story behind this painting have been" since no one is really sure.

Very much in line with the tone of Pollock, a somber approach to understanding the motivations of the artist while also appreciating his visual style.

(edit, I see Mike already mentioned it)

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
Surviving Picasso with Anthony Hopkins as Pablo is good.

Crumb and American Splendor make a great double feature.

Clint Eastwood's Bird about Charlie Parker, and Straight no Chaser about Thelonious Monk are two very good musical docs.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Clint Eastwood's Bird about Charlie Parker, and Straight no Chaser about Thelonious Monk are two very good musical docs.
I disagree about Bird. I don't think it went deep enough into his personal habbits or music enough to portray a true feeling for the man's genius. They just keep saying he was so great but no really why or how.

Say what you will about Amadeus and its historical inaccuracies, but the weight of his talent and passion came through the screen in that film.

Charlton Heston made a movie where he's Michaelangelo painting the Sisteen Chapel while constantly arguing with the pope. It was very big and epic and, well.. Charlton Heston.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Artemesia is a good film as well.

And dont forget Better off Dead and other Savage Steve Holland movies:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks