What's new

Movies that are worth remaking? (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
American movies that I'd watch that most do a remake (because the studio-system can't get it right):

Conan the Destroyer: Singlehandedly discredited a movie that could have been one of the greatest franchises in action films.

The Insider: Remake it every six months with a new actor attempting to bring down a differant evil corporation (Beer, Junk Food, Cars, Bad Movies, The military, et cetera).

Starship Troopers: Keep everything the same except for Denise Richards. replace her with an actress who doesn't have the look of someone without a botched-plastic surgery grin.

The Howling 2-6: Make them scarier, with better special effects, and more understaded humor like the first one.

The sixth sense: Now THIS TIME, be sure not to tell anyone about the ending.

Dennis Castro

Second Unit
I recently heard that there was a remake of Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? in the works. The original was great and ground-breaking for its day. A remake seems to be in bad taste, maybe as another Wesley Snipes movie.
I think an update would be interesting with it addressing the issue of homosexuality. Even though racism is still a major issue, homosexuality seems to be the hot topic right now.

I would like to see the remake of Superman finally get done.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Sci-Fo movies come to mind, perhaps because the actors are secondary to the stories...

Westworld was fun, but I'd like to see another's director's version of it, maybe include more of Romanworld and the underground Delos complex in it.

Barbarella just for fun.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't categorize Galaxy Quest as a 7 Samurai remake

I would like to see the remake of Superman finally get done.
They're building sets right now. Who knows what form this monstrosity will take. What I do know is that it's going to be abomidable. Please, hug your Donner DVD close and remember how wonderful that film is.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure there's some website out there that can detail the script saga on this movie. Let's put it this way.

They're on their 3rd or 4th director, about their 12th script, and the producer of the film insists that he fight a giant spider at the end, a person that drove both Tim Burton and Kevin Smith off the project with his ludicrous sucktastic demands. Stuff like "I don't want to see him in that pansy costume" and "I don't want to see him fly".

Thankfully at last report someone got a brain and decided that Superman and Luthor having a Matrix Kung-Fu battle at the end was a bad idea.

Galen_V

Second Unit
At some point I would like someone to remake the Harry Potter movies in order to get rid of Chris Columbus's fluff and get some decent CGI in there, especially in Sorcerer's Stone. There is no excuse for that garbage, if it even deserves that name.

Same goes for the CGI in the Star Wars Special Editions-if you are going to keep it, at least make the CGI look decent and consistent (I'm talking about you, Jabba).

I would like to see an updated version of The Producers, with some of the songs from the Broadway show. While the original is good, it is too short.

Same goes for the South Park Movie-censorship butchered it and while a remake is not entirely necessary, an extended version would be very much appreciated.

Dennis Castro

Second Unit
I'm sure there's some website out there that can detail the script saga on this movie. Let's put it this way.

They're on their 3rd or 4th director, about their 12th script, and the producer of the film insists that he fight a giant spider at the end, a person that drove both Tim Burton and Kevin Smith off the project with his ludicrous sucktastic demands. Stuff like "I don't want to see him in that pansy costume" and "I don't want to see him fly".

Thankfully at last report someone got a brain and decided that Superman and Luthor having a Matrix Kung-Fu battle at the end was a bad idea.
:eek: :eek:

Good lord that sounds horrible. That speaks of Blasphemy.

Superman not flying? No suit? Matrix Kung fu?

Why bother calling it Superman at all? Sounds like a completely different character.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
There actually is a script for an X: The Man With The X-Ray Eyes remake. I found this out when I attempted research on writing a new script for the film myself. I think that Corman's film is a masterpiece of science fiction Cinema. The ending is a corker, but I would leave the original cut line in:
"Oh, my God - I can still see!" - after he rips his eyes out.

Logan's Run would make a great modern sci-fi film.

Ah... I hesitate at mentioning this next one, and I've trying to write the script for years now, but Catch 22 is the greatest novel ever written and I love it, but I'm so scared I cock it up! It's SO hard to translate to script. Seriously. I love the 1970 film. Buck Henry is... a legend, Nichols' film is truly something to behold - ballsy filmmaking at its best. But I think about a new film version a lot; I'd really like to see it someday.

Gordy

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I would like to see an updated version of The Producers, with some of the songs from the Broadway show. While the original is good, it is too short.
I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that Mel Brooks is working on a film version of the Broadway show. Would be interesting to see.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Why bother calling it Superman at all? Sounds like a completely different character.
And the same thing has been done to Battlestar Galactica. Outright disdain for the original, and active destruction of what the fans love about the series. Yup, it can be called nothing else than blasphemy. In case anyone was wondering, this same producer has a giant spider fetish, ever hear of WIld Wild West?

Sean Dilly

Agent
12 Angry Men....nothing at all wrong with the original, actually one of my favorites....it would be cool to see this redone with todays finest actors.

Colin-H

Second Unit
Tangent: Alexander Nevsky's music is brilliant... from the days when art music and popular movie music were created by the same composers.

Sean Dilly

Agent
once again...i would like to see 12 angry men done with todays FINEST actors....if it was just a TV movie then it had to suck, "12 angry persons"---> never heard of it and i doubt anybody else has.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Wasn't 12 Angry Men remade as a TV movie a few years ago?
Yes. As for "today's finest actors", it featured George C. Scott, Jack Lemmon, Hume Cronyn, Ossie Davis, Courtney B. Vance, James Gandolfini, and Armin Mueller-Stahl. It also had Tony Danza, and he didn't suck in comparison to the rest of the cast. George C. Scott is outstanding, but I still prefer Lee J. Cobb in that role. Jack Lemmon is great, but I prefer Henry Fonda's performance. I also like E.G Marshall more than Mueller-Stahl. There was some mild updating to create more of a black/white racial divide in the jury.

So did they do a remake with "today's finest actors"? Sure. Was it better? Nope. Is it still worth seeing? Yes, if only because it's a great opportunity to see Scott and Lemmon give great performances.

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks