What's new

Movies that are better the 2nd time. (1 Viewer)

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
JP 2: Lost World - I hated it the 1st time, but now I like it a decent amount.
SW: TPM-I like this film more the more I see it.
Ace Ventura 2: This film has grown into one of my all-time favorite "stupid comedies".
Star Trek 1st Contact - I find this is true of most star trek films
------------------

Kami

Screenwriter
Gattaca comes to mind.
------------------
riders2.jpg

-Adam
(a.k.a. kami)
My budding DVD collection

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
12 Monkeys. I noticed much more the second time because I knew the ending.
------------------
My DVD's
[Edited last by JustinT on September 26, 2001 at 06:50 PM]

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
Unbreakable.
I didn't like it at all the first time round. My expectations were just so rediculously high they couldn't be met. I watched this again two weeks ago and I absolutely loved the movie now that I knew it wasn't 6th sense.
MI:2 also. Hated that thing in the theaters. Now I kinda like it as brainless fun.
------------------
- Michael
My DVD collection

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I think there have been some films that are built with a second watch in mind. By including items that can only be appreciated after knowing the entire story. Almost any of the "gotcha" movies (Fight Club, Sixth Sense, Usual Suspects) could actually be 'better' the second time around.
But I guess you're right that the movie is really static.

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
"Safe" with Julianne Moore. I don't think I really understood it the first time I saw it. It sort of creeps up on you. Now its one of my favorite movies.

Josh Shapero

Stunt Coordinator
One Word:....................RUSHMORE. Hated it in the theatres, loved the criterion release. What's up with that?........it is a film you can watch over, and over, over, and over, over, over, over, over........etc.....and I have;)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Definitely Rushmore. I saw it and liked it, but upon further DVD viewings, I became obsessed :)
Also, as other's have said Fight Club and Office Space.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
My favourite film, Vertigo, for me was a film that improved dramatically on second viewing. First time around, I'd heard the occasional reference to Hitchcock's best, and so was expecting agood film. When I actually saw it, I wouldn't say I disliked it, I just didn't care that much for it. Second time around, my only reason for watching it was because it was on TV and I had nothing else to do. And I was astonished by how incredible the film is. And now it is my absolute favourite film.
I think the reason for such a change was that the first time I never really knew where it was going. It just took so long to get anywhere or do anything - in the same way the film uses the idea of 'wandering' as a theme describing Scotty's emotional position, the film seemed almost presented in a slow, aimless, wandering manner. It wasn't until my second viewing, when I knew where the film was going, that I actually appreciated the film's brilliance. And now I absolutely love it.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
All films by the Coen Brothers or Wes Anderson. I have liked or loved every one on my first viewing, but repeat viewings really improve the film. Rushmore I loved right off, but BRocket I was mild on and now love.

Fight Club might not be better to me, but it certainly plays differently. I loved it every time.

I enjoyed Blade Runner the first time, but since then it has climbed the list of films I love.

However, most of my favorite films I loved right out of the box. I guess there is some greater love for them now, but there wasn't that much room to go. I've found that I've gotten pretty in tune with my own tastes now. Often I reconsider a film later and wonder if my initial viewing was "wrong". I'm amazed how many times I will watch a film a year later for the 2nd viewing and end up with the exact same feelings on what was good, bad, average (when I reread my initial review comments I mean).

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I definitely agree with all Wes Anderson movies. For the most part, I think it really applies to most well-made movies. Popcorn flicks are fun, but there's not much beneath the surface. A good movie will have all sorts of little details that you can't possibly pick up in a single viewing, so there's new things to discover when you watch again.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I also agree on the Wes Anderson films. Especially The Royal Tenenbaums for me.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Nearly every movie I see for the second time, I enjoy it more. There are exceptions, but generally unless I just hated it, I'll see it again and gain insight.
Good thread BTW. :)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Se7en and Fight Club both took me several times to really grow on me. Not because of the endings, but just getting my mind around what was being shown, they're very strong movies, especially the first time.

Both Lord of the Rings movies for me so far I've needed to see several times to fully appreciate, mostly due to needing a few times to separate my version of the book from the movie. Once I can accept them on their own terms, I love them, Two Towers is my all time favorite movie, with Fellowship in a clsoe second.

Gotcha movies on the whole don't really need a second viewing to be thought of as good for me. If the ending works, I can accept it and love the movie. Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Memento, and Usual Suspects were all movies I loved the first time through, even with the twist. Now granted, a second viewing can certainly make exploring the twists and turns interesting (just what really did happen in The Usual Suspects?), but if done well I can certainly enjoy the movie on a first viewing.

Interestingly though, most movies I like the first time around. The ones that take time to grow on me are CDs. None of my favorite CDs blew me away the first time I heard them, every one of them took time to grow on me (with obvious exceptions where I knew what I was getting, see Star Wars soundtrack and things like that). But if I really love a CD its first time through and it's not one where I knew exactly what I was getting, it had better watch out, I'll often have forgotten it in two weeks time.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Woody Allen on this one.
2001: A Space Odyssey
Well, it certinly helped I saw it in its OAR for the first time. That, and I've developed some patience from watching certain movies.

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
For me the film that most sums up that 'second time round click' is probably Akira. The first time I saw it I was pretty naturally blown away by the imagery, the second time I saw it and began to 'get' it I felt like I appreciated the film even more.

Actually sticking with Anime (for no particular reason) Spirited away recently had the same effect on me. Left breathless first time, grew to adore it second time through. Maybe it's the power of the images or something.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
2001 - theater made it much better.

The Shining - (Well, at the 5th viewing or so, a complete turnaroud)

LOTR:FOTR - has possibly become my favorite movie. My first viewing was too concerned with accuracy.

The Birds - was OK at first, is good now.

Seven - definitly grew on me.

Citizen Kane - Ebert's commentary is a godsend.

Gladiator - it's looks and sounds won me over. The story, meh...

--

Holadem

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Got into this same conversation at lunch the other day about movies that are better the second time around. The one that I felt gained the most one my 2nd and beyond viewings was Vanila Sky. I was left there scratching my head going "duh" the first time I tried to watch it. Finally on HBO I started again and was blown away by how much more I enjoyed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks