What's new

Movies only you could love (1 Viewer)

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Matt Hough said:
I've never seen it, but I have the soundtrack LP!
No question Matt, CHMEFMHAFTH? is a train wreck - one of the most appalling mixed bag viewing experiences you'll ever encounter. Wildly self-indulgent (especially its original X-rated 1969 theatrical cut), but Newley wasn't untalented, so it's also peppered with some interesting stuff (as you've noted, the throwback British Music Hall-style score). Sort of A Rake's Progress...on acid. :wacko:

Definitely a one-of-a-kind curiosity. You can't believe the thing got made much less released. And yet you can't take your eyes (and ears) off it. Watching it 'medicated' would probably help, but I can't find any evidence that an official video release even exists.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I second Can't Stop the Music, Mame (this is what a Lucy Ricardo musical might look like), and Myra Breckinridge.

Highlights from my exceedingly long list include:

The Devil and Max Devlin: In memory of co-screenwriter Mary Rodgers Guettel (who also wrote the original Freaky Friday book and the 1976 version's script). One of those odd, dark-for-darkness'-sake PG Initiative movies Disney thought would make people forget about 20 years of Shaggy Dog Stories—and this couldn't even outgross those!—it's like a Barbra Streisand movie without Barbra Streisand. But it does have Julie Budd, who sounds a lot like Barbra Streisand. And it has two songs by Marvin Hamlisch, who wrote one of Barbra Streisand's biggest hits. And it has Elliott Gould, who used to be Mr. Barbra Streisand. Not great overall, and kind of slow in parts, but Bill Cosby can and has done worse. Much worse.

Pecker: It gets very little love, even from John Waters fans, but considering the disappointments his last two films were, this is sweet, funny and personal with a good point about the art world's condescension towards the same outsiders they champion.

The Dream Team: Michael Keaton and Christopher Lloyd in a comedy about a group of patients in a mental hospital going out together in New York City. It manages to humanize the characters while still being funny, a rarity where this subject matter is concerned.

The Barefoot Executive: It's like a proto-Network for kids, and it reveals a hard, undeniable truth about the TV industry's contempt for its viewers: they think we have the intelligence of chimps.

Drop Dead Gorgeous: I wanted to see this film when it came out, but I was out of the country when it was released. When I came back from Ireland and England, about three weeks later, it was gone. But then I rented the DVD and loved it. It's basically Smile + Fargo + one of Rose's St. Olaf stories from The Golden Girls, but it's one of the last glimpses of pre-Fat Actress Kirstie Alley and the only thing Denise Richards has done that I have ever found enjoyable, maybe because her acting style fits the phony character to a T.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Sky Riders: James Coburn and hang gliding team foil terrorist kidnappers in Greece.When Eight Bells Toll: Anthony Hopkins as a spy in adaptation of Alistair MacLean novel.Fear is the Key: another Alistair MacLean adaptation with Barry Newman.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Fast-Walking (1982)
Strange story, but great acting, especially from Tim McEntire.
I haven't seen this in years, but it was a great little quirky gem of a film with some excellent characterizations. Really enjoyed the cast including the always reliable M. Emmet Walsh. This was released by Warner Bros. on DVD (as part of the Archive collection) and I really should purchase a copy.

My contribution to the thread:

Zardoz - I was into written SF long before my appreciation for cinema developed and I have a real fondness for SF films that are conceptually strong. Those that actually feel more like written SF; where the ideas are at least as important as the production design. This is one of those films for me. I know that there are a few of us on the HTF that admire this film, but it is a small group. :)

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, Zardoz that brings back some interesting memories from previous HTF discussions regarding that particular title.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Psychomania (1973) aka the Death Riders. I seem to be the only one that likes this movie amongst family and friends. It's also the film that drove George Sanders to suicide (not really, though maybe).

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Walter Kittel said:
My contribution to the thread:

Zardoz - I was into written SF long before my appreciation for cinema developed and I have a real fondness for SF films that are conceptually strong. Those that actually feel more like written SF; where the ideas are at least as important as the production design. This is one of those films for me. I know that there are a few of us on the HTF that admire this film, but it is a small group. :)

- Walter.
Well Walter, you're certainly not alone. I've lost count how many folks in the IT field consider Zardoz among their guiltiest of guilty pleasures. As you note, it is very strong in concept, as well as design and cinematography (this was John Boorman, post-Deliverance after all), and on its own daft arch-allegorical level, it does work. I've seen the film 5 times, theatrically, on Laserdisc, and DVD, and would buy it again on Blu-ray.

In a pinch, I once used 'zardoz' as a code for a network permission group, and actually had users - mostly guys - come up to my desk and ask me how they could become a member of that group...who then proceeded to tell me how much they loved the film. If Twilight Time ran with this one, they might be surprised how much lingering cult appeal it actually has...especially among 30/40/50-something techno geeks.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
In a pinch, I once used 'zardoz' as a code for a network permission group, and actually had users - mostly guys - come up to my desk and ask me how they could become a member of that group...who then proceeded to tell me how much they loved the film. If Twilight Time ran with this one, they might be surprised how much lingering cult appeal it actually has...especially among 30/40/50-something techno geeks.
Oh that's awesome. :banana:

Yeah, I'd love to see Twilight Time release this on Blu-Ray.

- Walter.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Kyrsten Brad said:
Skatetown USA: I get laughed at by some for this but love quizzing folks on what was Patrick Swayze's first feature role.
Haha! That cracks me up. But we share similar tastes. I was a teen in that era, and have a certain fondness for those crazy films like TGIF. People nowadays think of that era in terms of drugs, but I just recall the music, and people getting off their butts to skate and dance. So I always side with you when you list your favorites. But I also long for another musical from this time that, to answer the thread topic, only I seem to love...The Pirate Movie. Quite possibly the silliest musical ever made, but I give the DVD an annual spin. I would love to see it on blu with restored sound (it was recorded in Australia with the worst rented sound equipment they could find...probably leftover from the 30s. But the picture itself is gorgeous and makes beautiful use of its seaside locations).

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Walter Kittel said:
Oh that's awesome. :banana:

Yeah, I'd love to see Twilight Time release this on Blu-Ray.

- Walter.
The thing is Walter, you can still find the Zardoz DVD littering bargain bins everywhere. So not a lot of pop interest - for most folks, a "meh" title - but for 'core fans (especially IT geeks), it's some kind of cult classic.

...which is probably why Fox doesn't release it, and why TT might not either, unless they're feeling in a 'what the h3ll' mood and decide to take a fly with it. Superb Geoffrey Unsworth cinematography though, and it was directed by Boorman and starred Connery, so who knows? Needless to say, I'd buy.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have one of those Zardoz DVDs sitting on my shelf in shrink wrap unopened after many, many years. I'll get around to it one of these days.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This will say a lot about me...The Story of O. Glad she is great to look at here. She sucked in Bond. And Denise Richards was a Bond Girl. And this was before Udo could act.Repo: The Genetic Opera. The movie Paris played Paris to a T.Preaching to the Perverted. Even those "into it" can't get into this...yet I watch it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In animated films:

CARS: It is almost universally considered one of Pixars worst films but AFAIAC it is one of their best. It is in the top five for me.
Love is probably too strong a word. I don't love anything, but I do like a lot of things.

CARS2: Considered even worse than CARS. To me, it is a better "Bond" movie than most of the Bond output from the last 2 decades. It may be a comedic parody of the Bond films, but it still manages to be more of a successful classic Bond film than most EON's later productions.

PLANES: Most of the people who slag this one have probably never even bothered to see it first. It automatically gets a "D" just for being a spin-off of the CARS franchise. Regardless, I watched it and I liked it enough to add it to my collection. The flying sequences in this film are stellar.

Soon to be added: PLANES: Fire and Rescue: I'm pretty sure groans from animation fans will rise in a chorus as this film gets closer to release. I saw the trailer and it looks like another one that I'll probably like. Uh-oh....There is some kind of pattern here....LOL.

Live action I've never really thought about. Uhhh....maybe......Xanadu? I've always had a bit of a soft spot for that disaster of a film. The film may not have been great but......hey......Olivia Newton-John, man.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
And here's a really sweet 'guilty pleasure' film which is pretty much forgotten nowadays .... but I love it.
'My Bodyguard' with Matt Dillon.
Don't confuse it with another 'bodyguard' movie from around the same time!

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
AnthonyClarke said:
And here's a really sweet 'guilty pleasure' film which is pretty much forgotten nowadays .... but I love it.
'My Bodyguard' with Matt Dillon.
Don't confuse it with another 'bodyguard' movie from around the same time!
I really like this film as well and don't feel remotely guilty about it. What's really odd about the movie - aside from its high quality - is that it's one of the few (possibly only) high school / teenage movies that doesn't have any pop music on the soundtrack.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Walter Kittel said:
Zardoz - I was into written SF long before my appreciation for cinema developed and I have a real fondness for SF films that are conceptually strong. Those that actually feel more like written SF; where the ideas are at least as important as the production design. This is one of those films for me.
Seeing Zardoz on a big screen in a packed theatre last year was the most fun I've had at the movies in a long time.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
revgen said:
Nobody I know likes any of these movies.

Fast-Walking (1982)
Strange story, but great acting, especially from Tim McEntire.

Around the World Under the Sea (1966)
Incredibly cheesy and hokey, but very interesting nonetheless.

Cool World (1992)
I doubt an animation/live action film will ever be made like this one again.
Fast Walking......Kay Lenz in an outdoor shower. I remember my college buddies and I watched this on HBO repeatedly. Can't remember much about it....except Kay :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
We all have very personal guilty pleasures, but there will always be others who share our love for any particular title, so no title any of us can mention will technically be one that "only" we can love. My sister (until she passed this year) and I shared a common affection for terrible sci-fi, with or without MS3TK commentary. We thrived on a combination of dry humor and very broad humor, and just laughed our asses off when we watched these together. We adored PLAN 9 and MANOS: HANDS OF FATE and FIRE MAIDENS FROM OUTER SPACE, etc. There is as much repeat entertainment value in these for us as there is in any Spielberg or Scorcese film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks