Movies on Turner Classic Movies

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by SteveK, Sep 3, 2004.

1. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I was curious about the movies that Turner Classic Movies shows on its network. Specifically, I was wondering if TCM can take advantage of the restored prints that are featured on some DVDs (North By Northwest, Meet Me In St. Louis, etc). Some of the films I've seen on TCM look very good, while others appear very faded, etc. So I was just curious what medium TCM uses for its broadcasts.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It's been my experience that once a dvd is released by Warner, that TCM shows a particular movie taken from the same source used in the dvd release. Furthermore, TCM shows a lot of advertising on their network and website championing new dvd releases.

Crawdaddy

3. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Thanks, Robert, that's the answer I was hoping for. I've noticed their frequent mentions of new DVD releases on their website and on their features between movies. Seeing some of the unrestored movies they show certainly makes you appreciate the advantages of re-mastering, as many of the movies they show are of marginal image quality, whereas many of the restored ones look like they were filmed last month.

Steve K.