movies on HBO don't sound as good why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by dan levatan, Nov 13, 2002.

1. dan levatan

dan levatan Extra

I'm fairly new so take this question with that in mind.
    A caption comes up alot of times on a movie that is shown on a premium cable chnl. i.e. HBO that claims it is in dolby digital. I thought that it might sound better.
    When I listen to it through my HT it sounds ok, but not as good as a dvd. WHY?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Do you have a digital cable box? If so, how is it connected to your home theater setup? What receiver or processor are you using?

Look closely, BTW, and you'll see that the notice says "where available". Does your cable company carry the DD signal? Not all of them do.

M.

3. jeff.wright

jeff.wright Auditioning

A more important question is: Why do they still insist on showing movies in full frame?

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Bill Street

Bill Street Stunt Coordinator

Hi!

I would echo others about checking to make sure you have a digital connection running from your cable box to the back of your receiver.

If this is the case and it's still inferior it could be because DVD's transfer the DD signal at a higher bitrate than digital cable. All digital is not created equal.

Bill

6. MikeSh

MikeSh Stunt Coordinator

I have a similar problem with HBO on DishTV. When they show a DD 5.1 movie I have to crank the volume up a fair amount. Yes, I'm using an optical digital out from the sat receiver to my receiver.

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mike,

Relative volume settings from one source to the next has nothing to do with the sound quality of the source.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt