What's new

Movies Not Available on DVD (1 Viewer)

Shawn Cornwell

Stunt Coordinator
Among the classics, I'm dying for a widescreen DVD release of The Tarnished Angels, Douglas Sirk's florid 1957 take on daredevil pilots of the 1930's (based on William Faulkner's Pylon) starring Rock Hudson, Dorothy Malone, and Robert Stack. The racing sequences, in particular, are crying out to be seen in their original scope.

Others: Ace in the Hole, Billy Wilder's excellent 1951 drama featuring great work by Kirk Douglas and Jan Sterling; director Fred Zinnemann's beautiful 1952 screen adaptation of Carson McCuller's The Member of the Wedding, with the original Broadway stars Ethel Waters, Julie Harris, and Brandon de Wilde; and two titles MIA on both VHS and DVD, which I've found impossible to catch anywhere over the years: 1952's Where's Charley?, with Ray Bogler recreating his Broadway success, and 1954's Black Widow, starring Ginger Rogers, Gene Tierney, and Van Heflin.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I've always wondered what the hold-up is for Paramount titles like Looking for Mr. Goodbar and The Keep. A lot of other favourites, like Sidney Lumet's Prince of the City or Pedro Almodovar's Matador are rumoured for 2007, but there are still many titles MIA:

SubUrbia (1996, Richard Linklater)
Night on Earth (1991, Jim Jarmusch)
Repulsion (1965, Roman Polanski)
The Krays (1990, Peter Medak)
Bedazzled (1967, Stanley Donen)
If... (1968, Lindsay Anderson)
The Van (1996, Stephen Frears)
Kafka and King of the Hill (1991, 1993, Steven Soderbergh)

and so many more...

Mary_P

Second Unit
Gosh, here's a BIG second on the original version of "Bedazzled"! I thought last year's R2 release was a sure sign that a R1 version was on the way soon, but no such luck. It's just a shame that most of the principal players are gone now so any release is unlikely to have much in the way of extras. The R2 version has an interview with Barry Humphries (who played Envy), but it looks like not much else.

PattyFraser

Second Unit

Amen and Amen, Jerry!

I get the impression this one might be coming out this year, though. Amazon has changed their page to say they will e-mail me when this one becomes available, as opposed to before when it said "studios currently not producing this title-check back from time to time, etc.". I've found in the past that the movie then becomes available soon.

ted:r

Second Unit
In my mind, the three films that should be on DVD but are jaw droppingly not are "Greed", "The Magnificent Ambersons" and "The African Queen" There may be some reasons for the first two (for the present) but the latter is inexcusable.

Those are the three, besides a multitude of personal wants, that astound me in their lack of availability on DVD.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
More of Fox classics:
Ramona, Suez, Lloyds of London, Rose of Washington Square, Tin Pan Alley, Stardust, Belle Star, Son of Fury, Tobacco Road, Song of the Islands, Springtime in the Rockies, The Magnificent Dope, My Gal Sal, Tales of Manhattan, Sweet and Low-down, Hello Frisco Hello, A Bell for Adano, Coney Island, Dragonwyck, Clunny Brown, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Margie, Sitting Pretty, The Foxes of Harrow, Centennial Summer, Sentimental Journey, Three Little Girls in Blue, The Iron Curtain, Captain of Castille, I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now, Daisy Kenyon, Mother Wore Tights, The Gunfighter, Forever Amber, The Fan, Father was a Fullback, Come to the Stables, Cry of the City, Slattery's Hurricane, Road House, Rawhide, With a Song in my Heart, Meet me After the Show, Untamed, Garden of Evil, The President's Lady, Black Window.

Ira Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ira Siegel
You can also consider movies that are out of print, or effectively out of print, such as FLETCH.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Could you mention the films of Wheeler & Woolsey? These fellows were as popular as Laurel & Hardy and the Marx Brothers for a time but have been neglected for far too long. Films like Diplomaniacs, Cockeyed Cavaliers, Peach-O-Reno and Hips, Hips Hooray!.

Also of great import is the Hal Roach material that is being neglected from Hallmark, such as many films featuring Laurel & Hardy, Little Rascals, and Charley Chase. Half-hearted releases exist of some but really they are treating these as if they were trash.

eric tengren

Stunt Coordinator
FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE, THE GREY FOX, ROLLING THUNDER, THE GRAVY TRAIN aka THE DION BROTHERS, CRIME WAVE DE TOTH, THE TALL T , LET IT BE, BREWSTER MCCLOUD, THEY LIVE BY NIGHT,THE OUTFIT.

FrankROL

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
What about Delbert Mann's "The Outsider" (1961), starring Tony Curtis as Pima Indian soldier Ira Hayes? I've seen this movie in the early sixties and never since. It seems to be almost forgotten.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Nicholas Ray's Bigger Than Life ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049010/ ) featuring James Mason's greatest performance outside of Lolita has yet to be released in Region 1 although it appears there is an import.

EDIT: To underscore the rarity of this film, I believe it has never been released on VHS either.

Rod J

Premium
Real Name
Rodney Jewett

It's available from France (pal R2) with the title "Derrière le miroir" anamorphic, removable French subtitles.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Robinson Crusoe on Mars & Crack In The World would be nice to have on DVD.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
My most wanted is: Robinson Crusoe On Mars

For my wife: Little Darlings

EDIT: Well since RCOM is finally coming out, I guess my next most wanted would be Zapped!

M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mate
- The charge of the Light Brigade (1936 - Michael Curtiz)
- Le gendarme de Saint Tropez (1964 - Jean Girault)
- Le gendarme a New York (1965 - Jean Girault)
- Roman candles (1966 - John Waters)
- Eat your makeup (1968 - John Waters)
- Le Gendarme se marie (1968 - Jean Girault)
- Mondo Trasho (1969 - John Waters)
- Multiple maniacs (1970 - John Waters)
- The Diane Linkletter story (1970 - John Waters)
- Le Gendarme en balade (1970 - Jean Girault)
- The Ritz (1976 - Richard Lester)
- The 36th chamber of Shaolin (1978 - Chia-Liang Liu)
- Le Gendarme et les extra-terrestres (1979 - Jean Girault)
- Il minestrone (1981 - Sergio Citti)
- Le Gendarme et les gendarmettes (1982 - Tony Aboyantz & Jean Girault)
- Tu mi turbi (1983 - Roberto Benigni)
- Non ci resta che piangere (1985 - Roberto Benigni)
- Pirates (1986 - Roman Polanski)
- Tougher than leather (1988 - Rick Rubin)
- Leningrad Cowboys go America (1989 - Aki Kaurismaki)
- I hired a contract killer (1990 - Aki Kaurismaki)
- Treasure Island (1990 - Fraser Clarke Heston)
- Loser (1991 - Erik Burke)
- The last days of disco (1994 - Whit Stillman)
- Panther (1995 - Mario Van Peebles)
- Suburbia (1996 - Richard Linklater)

... and Giorgio Moroder's 1984 colored version of Fritz Lang's METROPOLIS

... and a decent edition of MAD MAX TRILOGY (original language + original artwork)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks