What's new

Movies NOT available in theatrical version on DVD. (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Pretty Woman- Director's cut is only version available.....one short scene from the theatrical cut is missing (with Richard Gere and Julia Roberts in the park.)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Plenty of movies shot in 3-D have been released on DVD in flat form.

Flat DVDs of HOUSE OF WAX, CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, JAWS 3-D, SPACEHUNTER, KISS ME KATE, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3 and others on DVD aren't reflective of the theatrical versions.

Admittedly this is tougher to pull of at home, and even field sequential (the best 3-D video format we have as of now) isn't perfect and doesn't exactly re-create the theatrical version, but it comes much closer than modified 2-D versions or (shudder) horrible red/blue anaglyph conversions.

Basically the only way to see the original version is to see a theatrical revival in polarized format. The DVDs aren't the theatrical versions.

It is pretty much the same as colorized or P/S.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Well the current version of Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (and the only anamorphic and non flipper version)has been butchered by adding footage that brings nothing in any way shape or form to the movie. Somebody please tell me there is an easter egg(I know there's not)to the theatrical version.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
Can someone tell me what "graphic violent" scenes were removed from Last of the Mohicans? Are those shots available on the VHS?

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

I believe this is another instance of the theatrical cut being available on DVD overseas.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I believe we still don't have all of the original theatrical version of Metropolis.

Johnny Be Good has some scenes extended and is re-rated R, while the theatrical release was PG-13.

Wild At Heart is currently only available in an uncut version which features more violence than the theatrical cut.

The original U.S. theatrical cut of Dont' Look Now is not on DVD.

The original U.S. cut of Friday The 13th is slightly different from the U.S. DVD.

9 1/2 Weeks is not available in its U.S. theatrical version.

Swamp Thing was released in a longer international version.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor

Are you referring to the removal of added smoke around Dafoe’s decapitated head, or the actual longer by 20m cut?

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

Sadly, this is true. While it's good that we have the current 124-minute version from Kino Video, there's still about 20-25 minutes of footage that unfortunately has been forever lost to time and severely edited versions over the decades. The current version is the best we have of this silent classic.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe no one has mentioned It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, which is cut quite a bit from the original roadshow version. (Maybe somebody mentioned it and I missed it?)

Kingpin has extra scenes on the DVD.

Also, I read that Robert Rodriguez tweaked several of the 3-D sequences for the DVD of Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over. (We also don't have a DVD of the Spy Kids long version that played in theaters after the regular cut.

I'm assuming that the DVD of The Godfather: Part III is the director's cut which has always been on video.

I believe The Last Emperor DVD is the director's cut version.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Two of my all time favorite films where remixed from scratch, to dire effect.
Camelot- nominated for best sound, remixed horribly with many mistakes including a few songs where the vocals are out of syn with the orchestra!!, wrong background music, overdubs missing etc.
Ben Hur - with strange mixing at times and without the rear channel sound mix to give the orchestra depth. They didn't have these tracks so instead we get crappy digital reverb.
the crappy digital surroung reverb award (replacing the original surrounds) still goes to My Fair Lady which is a travesty of its original release.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Apocalypse Now - theatrical version OOP. Moreover, every widescreen version of Apocalypse released on home video has had approximately 20% of the image cropped from the sides. So, it's a double-whammy.

-Reagan

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator

Yep. The only one that has a version out that isn't the theatrical version is [b[Army of Darkness[/b]. There is a theatrical version as well as the extended director's cut.

The Blues Brothers is only available in an extended cut.

Nineteen Eighty-Four was released without the original soundtrack.

Wayne's World had a guitar riff changed.

The current disk of Hellbound: Hellraiser II contains the unrated version. I'm not sure if a disk containing the original version was ever released.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The DVD of the 1981 film The Fan with Lauren Bacall and James Garner has edited out and replaced the infamous "meat cleaver" line and replaced it with a milder epithet! The old laser disc, however, contained the meat cleaver line.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
976-EVIL.

The DVD contains a slightly longer version than the one released to theatres, but the laserdisc and VHS versions were an even longer version.

Why do they do this? Do we need 3 different cuts of this film?

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Fried Green Tomatoes - Only the extended version is available on the DVD. (note: I am not complaining about this...)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
This may or may not qualify, but the previous Work-in-Progress version of Beauty and the Beast (released on VHS as part of a box set and on a 2-disc CAV LD) has a different cut of the WIP version that is greatly different from the WIP version that is on the DVD.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Mulholland Drive - censorship - home video version has digitally-obscured full-frontal nudity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks