What's new

Movies leaving you thinking, "What the hell just happened?!" (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I was just wondering if any of you have any suggestions for thriller/suspense movies that leave you thinking "What the hell?" for days after.
To me, the Blair Witch Project left me thinking this, if that helps any.
God bless!
jeffrey noel
------------------
Go WILDCATS!

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
I'm sure this will be moved to polls, but I just wasted 1.5 hours the other night when I watched Pi. I've never seen a movie that starts so promising ... and goes to interesting midway ... to WTF at the end.
confused.gif
icon13.gif

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Well, I'm asking this because I am looking to BUY some movies that leave me in this frame-of-mind. I love these type of movies.
By the way, I forgot about PI. This would definitely be in this category.
God bless!
jeffrey noel
------------------
Go WILDCATS!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Jeffrey, are you familiar with David Lynch's Eraserhead?
biggrin.gif
I believe it's coming out on R1 dvd pretty soon. You might also want to look for Alejandro Jodorowsky's Santa Sangre. It's only available on VHS and LD right now, but I've heard that Anchor Bay is trying to get ahold of it.
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
Memento definitely falls into this category. I wish I could stop praising this movie at every turn, but I can't! :)

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
The Usual Suspects...
Hands down.
------------------
"What if he honks in the car?"
"I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

Jeepers Creepers.
I kept waiting for this movie to get started and suddenly one of the main characters was dead...the end. What? My two friends and I looked at each other and said, literally - "what the hell just happened?"
[Edited last by Brian Olson on September 24, 2001 at 11:05 AM]

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Jacob's Ladder. Great film, but requires several viewings to take it all in.
[Edited last by Gordon Moore on September 24, 2001 at 11:09 AM]

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
The Ninth Gate. I'm a fan of Depp and Polanski, but this film did such a generally good job of lulling me to sleep that by the time that ending rolled around, I was in no condition to interpret it.
--Jefferson Morris

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
The Spanish Prisonerand Memento
------------------
Michael Caicedo
Winter Park, FL
- At my signal, unleash hell...

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Lost Highway
Twin Peaks FWWM(Although I understand it from repeat viewings, but whats with the damn monkey??)
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung
[Edited last by JonZ on September 24, 2001 at 02:23 PM]

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
After seeign Unbreakable I felt that way after the dumb, cheap, sequel inducing ending. I can't believe I sat through 2 slow hours just to get that.
orangeman
------------------
Link Removed

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
2001: A Space Odyssey
- I still haven't gotten around to giving this movie a second chance (I've got better things to give a chance, like Memento for tonight). Half of my disappointment comes from all the praise it gets, the other half is just the movie being plain boring. So visually stunning, yet so unsatisfying.
Blair Witch 2
- I want my money back. It ended so damn abruptly.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- This is the good kind of "What the Hell just happened". I got a pretty hard laugh out of this one.
I think it would've been better if this thread was called "Movies leaving you thinking, WTF!?"
laugh.gif

------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
My DVD Collection

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
The Game has an excellent ending where you say "WTF?"
If you're a slasher movie fan, the endings to Happy Birthday to Me (which after thinking about it, Scream borrowed QUITE a bit from), Sleepaway Camp, Maniac, and Black Christmas (THE single greatest ending in horror history, if you ask me) all leave you with this feeling. Especially Black Christmas.
Memento, Dark City, Eraserhead, Carnival of Souls, all cause you to scratch your head with a "WTF?" kind of attitude, but all are spectacular films.
Oh, and why hasn't anyone mentioned In the Mouth of Madness or The Thing yet? Two of the best endings, ever.
------------------
Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
jasvparbanner2.jpg

[Edited last by Wes Ray on September 25, 2001 at 11:20 PM]

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Just watched Open Your Eyes - pretty bizarre ending...
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Lost Highway. I have no idea what really happened, but I loved every second of it.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Another vote for Memento. Just like the main charactor Leonard, I had no idea what the hell happend ten minuets after watching it!
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks