1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

movies in DTS 96/24

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mike Mundt, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Mike Mundt

Mike Mundt Stunt Coordinator

are there any movies in DTS 96/24 or is it all music dvds. I cant even find a list of available dvd music with a dts 96/24, it seems like the only way to find them is to go into a store and look at the back of every dvd.

im really interested in finding if theres any movies in dts 96/24, but a list of music dvds would be nice too.

thanks in advance

2. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Moving to software...

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

As far as I know there are no Region 1 movies with DTS 96/24 encoding, but there are a few DVD-Audio music discs with a backup DTS 96/24 track (the MLP encoded PCM 96/24 tracks on those would be superior anyway if you have a DVD-Audio player).

Dan

4. Jason Perez

Jason Perez Second Unit

Hello Mike!

I was interested in this same thing, and the last time I checked (about 3 weeks ago), it seems that the only movie available was the Italian version of Tomb Raider. I am not sure, but I think that qualifies as Region 2. Hopefully, as time presses on we will see some releases stateside. I have a couple of the Queen DVD-Audio Discs, and auditioned the DTS 24/96 tracks. To my ears, there was a definite improvement over "standard" DTS. [​IMG]

Regards,

Jason

5. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

Yes the Italian dvd of Tomb Raider is the only movie available in this format... however the track in question on this dvd is Italian language.

6. Kristoffer

Kristoffer Second Unit

The Two Towers Exentended, Matrix Reloaded, X men 2 and so on would be great to have in 24bit / 96 Khz!!!
    But is there room for it? And would there be room for a 5.1 track as well??

7. RobD

RobD Second Unit

I think the more importantant questions is do these movies have the soundtrack masters recorded in 96Khz because upsampling will not give the same quality.

8. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

But movies with analog masters would benefit from this greatly. Eventually all movies will even eclipse 96/24bitrate.

Unfortunately DTS 96/24 needs a fullbitrate DTS track, and since they're not done anymore it's doubtful we'll ever see it on DVD. Maybe HD-DVD...

9. RobD

RobD Second Unit

Interestingly the 96/24 full bit rate track will sound better than halfrate even for those with standard DTS only decoders. This is because 1.0Mbit is standard DTS and .5 Mbit is the extended 96/24 information.

Its about time we saw some 96/24 film releases, it is pretty much the best multi channel sound available on DVD-V.

10. Mike Mundt

first of all...........thanks for all the help everyone

Eric F:
    i have the full bite-rate version of Lethal Weapon 1 Directors Cut, so that is a sampling rate of 96 kHz?

Kristoffer:
    to the comment about having Two Towers in a 96/24 format, that would be great, but then you would lose the DTS-ES 6.1 discrete mix, sort of a bummer. Matrix Reloaded i could definitely go for a 96/24 mix as well as X-men 2 like you said.

RobD:
    Im not familiar with movies, but most major music recordings are done at 192 kHz sampling rates

11. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Standard full bitrate and half bitrate DTS DVD tracks use 48 kHz sampling. Depending on the master used it could be 20 or 24 bit resolution.

DTS CD and LD tracks use 44.1 kHz sampling and 20 or 24 bit resolution.

The full 1.5 Megabits/sec data rate is not completely utilized anyway for standard DTS, so adding the extension file doesn't lessen the "core" data that much.

I would much rather have HD discs using PCM 24/96 (and higher) or DSD than DTS or Dolby any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. We shall see what the studios and manufacturers agree on.

Dan

12. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Mike, ignore the "96/24" part in DTS 96/24. It's a totally new format. I think it's intentionally named to confuse- hell, even I was confused by the name. You need an entirely new decoder to use the format.

Think of the format like HDCD is on CD. There are extra bits to each format, and in order to decode them you need to have the right hardware. So, even though HDCD encoded CDs can be played on any CD player at 44/16, you need HDCD support to get the extra "bits" (20bit). Same goes for DTS 96/24- it will decode on any standard DTS decoder to 48/16, but needs specific "DTS 96/24" support to get decoded in 96/24.

Lol. Shame on DTS for trying to cloud the issue. A better name would have been "DTS Deluxe" or "SuperDTS", something like that.

13. Mike Mundt

Eric F:

thanks for the explain but lucky i read on cnet a few weeks ago about 96/24, had i not read it there, i would have just learned it now though [​IMG]

14. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Does anyone have a list of all the DTS 96/24 DVDs available?

Thanks