Movies I want, but don't know who to ask to release them

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Benn, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Benn

Benn Stunt Coordinator

I don't know who owns the rights to the following, but the following movies in DVD format are missing from my library.

THE FRONT (1976) with Woody Allen
    THE ILLUSTRATED MAN (1969) with Rod Steiger and a host of others
    THE GUNFIGHTER (1950) Gregory Peck’s best western
    THE WEDDING Director Robt. Altman’s oldie, but goodie
    BYE-BYE BRAZIL (1980) a great foreign film from South America
    THE MAID (1991) with Martin Sheen
    FEAR ON TRIAL (1971) an even better story of the Black Listed days in America.
    HARRY AND TONTO (1974) Art Carney’s journey of discovery for a retired New Yorker and his cat.

If I knew who to directly ask, I’d do it. If any of you can point me in the right direction, I’d appreciate it.

Or if you'll just show support by requesting some of the same.

2. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

THE FRONT (1976) : Columbia TriStar
    THE ILLUSTRATED MAN (1969) : Warner Bros.
    THE WEDDING and HARRY AND TONTO: 20th Century Fox
    BYE-BYE BRAZIL (1980) : Wellspring
    THE MAID (1991) : MGM

3. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    THE GUNFIGHTER and HARRY AND TONTO are 20th-Fox. FEAR ON TRIAL was a CBS t.v. movie.

I would add the following, as I have no idea who owns the rights:

BILLY BUDD (1962) - released thru Allied Artists (does this make it a Warner Bros. property?)

THE LAST UNICORN (1982) - released thru ITC theatrically, and by Fox on VHS. Rights now reverted to someone else.

SOLDIER BLUE (1970) - released through National General, I think MGM might now own it...?

SILENT PARTNER (1978) - Made by Carolco, released by EMC). Near-great cat-and-mouse thriller.

DADDY'S GONE A-HUNTING (1969) - Released by National General

DREAMCHILD (Co-produced by Universal in England)

ONE MILLION B.C. (1940) - Released by United Artists, but always on video from Universal. Don't know if they still have the rights.

4. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

BILLY BUDD is indeed WB, as is DADDY'S GONE A-HUNTING;

I think SOLDIER BLUE had been released by Embassy. It would be owned by StudioCanal, who have an output deal with Anchor Bay;

DREAMCHILD was one of the last EMI productions before they got out of the movie business. It was released stateside by Universal, but bizarrely, it is now owned by MGM;

THE SILENT PARTNER was a very early Carolco production, but HBO invested heavily in the film in exchange for the video and TV rights. So HBO Video controls the title for DVD;

THE LAST UNICORN is Carlton, the purchaser of ITC's library. This title is currently controlled in the U.S. by Artisan under a previous arrangement with the former ITC.

5. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Mark, you are a wealth of information, as are so many members of this forum. Thanks for the post! I will begin contacting the studios expressing my interest in their DVD release.